Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bitsnbobs21
    • By bitsnbobs21 6th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bitsnbobs21
    Meter estimate almost double my reading
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    Meter estimate almost double my reading 6th Mar 18 at 2:00 PM
    I have just checked my meter reading after someone suggested my electric bill seems rather high (140 per month) We have oil central heating. According to my bill the latest estimate is 33876, but the meter said 17960.

The bill says my average is 8800 kwh per year, when the national average seems to be 4500. My house is rarely in use, we all leave at the crack of dawn and get home around 10pm. We're not home every weekend (family of 4) but when we are its probably the usual story, TV's , computers, etc. For this I would imagine we are on average side of things, if not lower.

My concern now is that after phoning them (2 hour phone call at work, I will get the chop!) they have said "oh we'll sort it" but not really told me what that means.

I am hoping theres a nice happy ending to this but that's not usually how things pan out for me, so can anyone tell me if what I am thinking is wrong.

I have overpaid some 15914 kwH. Imagining a low estimate of say 14p per kwH (my bill says 17p) means I have overpaid 2200.

Does this mean I am due a cheque for this amount (in which case, yahoo) or am I likely to get stiffed, or completely misunderstood the situation??
Page 1
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 6th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    When was the last time a bill showed an actual reading A and what was it.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    According to my bill the latest estimate is 33876, but the meter said 17960.
    Originally posted by bitsnbobs21
    1. as above - list any previous actual meter read(s); 2. if you're concerned that they HAVEN'T accepted 17960, take a picture (with time/date stamp) and email it to them (or even post it).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • bitsnbobs21
    • By bitsnbobs21 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bitsnbobs21
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    Online I can only get bills back to 2016, in March 2016 the reading is estimated at 16901, which isn't too far off what the meter is now. I would doubt the meter has rolled over in 2 years. I'm not sure when an actual reading has actually taken place. Looking at my emails I found a photo of the meter from 2012 which had the reading at 87083 so presumably they have been out to reset it at some point? (I have no idea how this works).

Once upon a time there was a period when we had no oil and had someone in the house during day, who took delight in burning electric heaters all day. This didn't last too long but the bill jumped up at that point, I've just always paid it since then but I wonder if there overestimates comes from this small period of time.

I was always under the impression that the man just helped himself to the meter as there is a box in the back garden which we have no key for so presumed that was their eyes to the system. I have never actually read my bill until today but yes last 2 years all estimated readings.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    As you've never read your meter before can we assume that you've never looked at changing suppliers either.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • bitsnbobs21
    • By bitsnbobs21 6th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bitsnbobs21
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    I haven't because I'm not really sure what to do, I am probably limited by where I live (North East Scotland) and if anything requires a home visit, forget it I'm never in. The other problem is that if I use the money I am paying now, it suggests our electric is on the high side but now according to the meter that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't know, things always go wrong when they change, we changed to TalkTalk once and it was the worst decision I ever made, I ran back to BT to overpay them to keep TalkTalk away!!!
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    I haven't because I'm not really sure what to do, I am probably limited by where I live (North East Scotland) and if anything requires a home visit, forget it I'm never in.
    Swopping is easy - its all on line, nobody comes to your house.

Time to get yourself sorted.
    • bitsnbobs21
    • By bitsnbobs21 6th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bitsnbobs21
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    Well why I even checked my meter is because I heard if you are in credit with an electric company you have left you can claim the money back. So I am wondering whether a situation could arise here where I receive a lot of credit, and can then use that as justification to switch and claim the money back. But it all seems a bit too good to be true just now.

Out of interest, as my electric isn't for my hot water or heating, how much on month should I be expecting to pay? The weather has seen our usage jump a bit lately (these stupid heaters as there are currently no funds for oil so we have no hot water....) This is why I am annoyed the extra money spent on electric could have paid oil, but they demand the cash up front so we need to save, there is no savings when you're in debt....
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    Yes when you get it sorted you could well be in for a good refund

To get the process under way send your supplier a photo of the meter reading.

Typical consumption perhaps 4,000 -5,000 kwh per year
    • bitsnbobs21
    • By bitsnbobs21 6th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bitsnbobs21
    Thanks for confirming....just wish I'd checked this sooner!
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 6th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    The bill says my average is 8800 kwh per year, when the national average seems to be 4500.
    If your usage was at that level, you're still overpaying by something like 40 per month. I'm a heavy fuel user as I work at home and have lighting and heating on all day and use some equipment that is heavy on the juice and I also take showers that my husband calls 'Double Hollywoods'. I'm paying 90 per month and that is a slight over-payment which should leave me a modest credit at the end of my tariff year.

But your circumstances would suggest that your actual usage is significantly less than mine, but even if it was say 6000kWh, that would be around 70 per month (based on my own tariff, as a guestimate), so you certainly need to get your supplier to use proper readings.

It has been my experience as a fuel buyer for over 35 years, that they never go a year without wanting to take their own reading and these days with email communication and on-line accounts, prefer your own reading to an estimate. Possibly if you live remotely, they might not be as inclined to take their own readings routinely, but do they not ask you for readings at regular intervals?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin