Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aprilblonde
    • By Aprilblonde 6th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aprilblonde
    Hire car help
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    Hire car help 6th Mar 18 at 1:58 PM
    Sorry am new to this, I have read the newbies sticky and I am confused on which step to do next after receiving an invoice from hire company/Napier parking.

I was the keeper of a hire car and the hire company have sent me a letter saying that a postal ticket has been issued on the 28/02 and the date of incident is 12/02 in West Sussex. It is now the 06/03 and the date I received this in the post. The car was in the car park for a total of only 2mins and 10 seconds. I am confused as to if It can appeal using the 21 days issue to keep rule with the template provided or does that not apply?

Napier parking have not sent anything directly themselves, do I wait for a letter from them before doing anything?

If not what shall I do next?

Thanks in advanced!
Page 1
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,038 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    Until you get a Notice to Hirer from Napier you cant do anything. What have the hire car company said, EXACTLY, about this? Have they said theyve named you as hirer?

You will, when /. if you get a NtH, use the fact that Napier will NOT have sent you all the documents required to make a HIRER liable.

Reread the newbies thread, more closely this time, as not only is there hirer issue, the fact it was only 2 min is a complete breach of the code of practice.
    • Aprilblonde
    • By Aprilblonde 6th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aprilblonde
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    They have !!!8220;issued the relevant authority with the name and address of the hirer of the vehicle in question!!!8221;. So yes, they have named me as the hirer.

Ok so there!!!8217;s a breach of practice too because of the times?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,979 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,066 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    Ok so there's a breach of practice too because of the times?
    Originally posted by Aprilblonde
    Nope, Napier have 21 days to get a NTH and all statutory enclosures to you, counting from the date they received the letter from the hire firm.

Did the hire firm show you a copy of the Notice to Keeper/PCN? Dated 28.2.18, even though the parking event was 12.2.18? That was too late. So that's a good start!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Aprilblonde
    • By Aprilblonde 6th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aprilblonde
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    Ok thanks.

Yes, they have attached a copy with photos etc.

What was too late? the notice to the hire company? Sorry there I get confused with all the time periods as to which part they have to send stuff by etc... trying to get my head around exactly what is the stuff i can pin point in my case
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,066 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:22 AM
    What was too late? the notice to the hire company?
    Yes, I thought I made that clear! I used the dates.

And I told you about the second timeline now running, of 21 days and when it starts from, for Napier to get a fully compliant set of documents and NTH served to you.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 7th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,038 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    The notice to the hire company was too late, they had to get it there within 14 days still, from memory. they could not have done given it was dated more than 15 days after the event

They then have 21 days to get a full set of documents to you - thi sis EVERYTHING in POFA for a *hirer*. So there are two things to look out for - delivered in time AND whether all the documents will be there. And the best bit is we know they wont be all there, because they are never, ever sent by parking firms
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    be careful that the hireco doesn't charge you for releasing your details....or indeed pay the invoice and bill you.

Both of these are possible but if they do you can sue them and make circa 200 ...
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • Aprilblonde
    • By Aprilblonde 7th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aprilblonde
    They already have taken 25 out of my account for that!!!128542; In their terms and conditions it mention any parking charges which covers and invoice I believe?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 7th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,038 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Well dont say "i believe" with a question, having not given us the EXACT wording used. This all comes down to exactly how they have defined them, and if there is any ambiguity in consturction and terms used.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 7th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    They've already taken 25?? That's fantastic news for you!!!

Their T&Cs are only valid for STATUTORY tickets ie police or council...everything else is simply an invoice from some minimum wage retard in a hi-vis vest...and the hireco has no right to share your data with them...

Tell them you want the money back or you'll sue them for a DP breach ....you should come out about 200 better off.

Don't call them...email or letter [paper trail for court papers...not that it will get there, they will pay up the 200 + refund well before then]....
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin