Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • truCido
    • By truCido 6th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    truCido
    New Build - snow in loft
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    New Build - snow in loft 6th Mar 18 at 1:55 PM
    In my new build during the last few days a damp patch appeared on the ceiling. Gone up into the loft and there is quite a lot of snow the length the whole house, following the vented ridges.

The builder has said there is no fault with the roof / ridges but it is due to the severe weather conditions experienced. This is also pretty much the wording in the warranty i.e. they don't cover severe weather conditions.

I guess my question is, can this be right? Most houses on my estate have had the same. Surely it just means they've used cheap vented ridges or incorrectly installed them? Also when they say they don't cover severe weather conditions, what does that actually mean, whats severe?
Page 1
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 6th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    The storms we've just had are very rare, I've seen a large number of people posting on facebook about snow in loft. To me its a non-issue, down to as they say severe weather - which is very rare.

If it was doing it in 'normal' snow conditions, or rain then fair enough.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,659 Posts
    • 8,898 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    Even in "severe weather conditions" a roof should have been designed/built so that snow (or rain) did not enter.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 15,602 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    C'mon - we (ie the average person in the street) have been reading this is going to happen for some years now.

Meaning - they should have known so much better than we do that this would happen...and planned accordingly...

On their head be it.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    Even in "severe weather conditions" a roof should have been designed/built so that snow (or rain) did not enter.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Agree with this.

There's a leak somewhere.
    • Bernythedolt
    • By Bernythedolt 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bernythedolt
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    Same here, new build, damp patches on ceiling where snow got into loft. Several affected on my estate too.

Same lame 'extreme weather' excuse from builder's customer service.

truCido, who was your builder?

By comparison, our previous home never once admitted snow into the loft in 35 years. I have to agree with lincroft1710.
    • truCido
    • By truCido 6th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    truCido
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    Same here, new build, damp patches on ceiling where snow got into loft. Several affected on my estate too.

Same lame 'extreme weather' excuse from builder's customer service.

truCido, who was your builder?

By comparison, our previous home never once admitted snow into the loft in 35 years. I have to agree with lincroft1710.
    Originally posted by Bernythedolt
    It's Barratt

Agree with this.

There's a leak somewhere.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    It's the vented ridge tiles, they have holes all along to allow air to circulate. They are covered but it seems wind can blow snow back up and underneath!

The storms we've just had are very rare, I've seen a large number of people posting on facebook about snow in loft. To me its a non-issue, down to as they say severe weather - which is very rare.

If it was doing it in 'normal' snow conditions, or rain then fair enough.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    Snow and wind "up North" isn't that rare is it? It's come through the ceiling and now I have big brown patches on the ceiling in a line across my house.
    • Bernythedolt
    • By Bernythedolt 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Bernythedolt
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    It's Barratt
    Originally posted by truCido

Same here. We bought from them because they supposedly had a better reputation...

A watertight roof is seemingly too much to expect though.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 25,042 Posts
    • 92,568 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    If builders don't put vents in, then there can be quite severe problems with condensation in lofts. These days, in most situations, the loft should be breezy.

If they put vents in the ridges, then there is no condensation, but the sort of very fine snow we had recently obviously went right through the filters. Not sure, but it might well have gone through eaves vents too.

I had the same happen in a wood store I protected with layers fine nylon mesh across the doorway; straight through.

I dare say there are effective snow-proof vents in existence, just as there are ways to frost proof condensate drains on boilers, but people don't want to pay extra for things like that.

Where have we been reading about this, money? Must admit, it got past me.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin