Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shonsay
    • By shonsay 6th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 9Thanks
    shonsay
    Quote for coil spring reasonable?
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    Quote for coil spring reasonable? 6th Mar 18 at 1:50 PM
    Hi all,

I have a 2009 Renault Megane coupe.

After getting all 4 tyres replaced today at Halfords, I was informed that the offside front coil spring has snapped and requires urgent repair. The quote for doing the work is as follows:

- Renew front right coil spring - 140.40
    - Renew front right stabiliser link - 57.39
    - Front wheel alignment - 35

So total of 233 for the work. I though it seemed expensive however I wondered if a mechanic or someone in the know could tell me if it's reasonable please!

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,110 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    Spring done around 80-90, but obviously depends where you are...but I'd get a second opinion from a local independant garage and wouldn't trust halfords
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    I'd agree with the suggestion to get a second opinion from a local garage. It's not an emergency repair, so take your time to find a good price to get the work done.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 6th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    If it had snapped in any meaningful way then you would know about it. If the car feels ok then it probably has not snapped.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    Not far off i suppose. The drop link is only two nuts, one of which has to be removed as part of the spring job anyway.

Both parts are probably about 60 quid. Couple hours labour 100
    Tracking 30
    • shonsay
    • By shonsay 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    shonsay
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    If it had snapped in any meaningful way then you would know about it. If the car feels ok then it probably has not snapped.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    The member of staff showed me a bit of a somewhat rusty snapped coil...I guess that could have come from anywhere right enough! I can't hear or see any signs of damage. Think it sounds like it's definitely worth getting a second opinion anyway. Thanks
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    The price probably isn't far off to be fair but I wouldn't let Halfrauds change a wiper blade on my car, definitely go to a local recommended independent garage.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • shonsay
    • By shonsay 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    shonsay
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    Just an update for anyone who's interested. And also so I can name and shame Halfords.

The car was fixed promptly this morning at a local garage costing me 99.96! All that was needed was a new spring and an hours labour.

Shame on you Halfords!!!!
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    That's why they're known as Halfrauds to anyone in the trade!

Most (not all) fast fit centres are the same, Kik Fwit and Halfrauds have a particularly bad reputation for advising work that may, shall we say, not be exactly necessary!

Glad you got it fixed
    Last edited by fatrab; 07-03-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 7th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    I'm not so sure on that. Had coil springs snap on my 1999 Merc several times and the only thing I thought was that my exhaust must be a bit loose as it clonked over speed bumps. I think that they tended to break in the mounting so were still located and essentially still worked, and after they were fixed I wasn't aware of any significant difference in handing.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 7th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    That's why they're known as Halfrauds to anyone in the trade!
    Originally posted by fatrab
    Hellfrauds to be pedantic
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 7th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    I'm not so sure on that. Had coil springs snap on my 1999 Merc several times and the only thing I thought was that my exhaust must be a bit loose as it clonked over speed bumps. I think that they tended to break in the mounting so were still located and essentially still worked, and after they were fixed I wasn't aware of any significant difference in handing.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    I was thinking more a break in half than a bit off the end.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 7th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    I'm a bit surprised you didn't notice anything. When a coil spring broke on my old Octavia it made a very loud bang and subsequently there were obvious clonking noises when turning.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 26,939 Posts
    • 10,847 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I had one snap and i knew exactly what the noise was, but other motorists may not have realised.

But it still rode level and made no noises at all.

Only the very top inner coil had snapped. I would get both replaced
    though. The other ones just as old.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    had a coil spring replaced on a 207 for around 80 last year at my local garage. Wouldn't trust Halfords or Kwik Fit with their made up nonsense and inflated prices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin