Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CiaraSherry
    • By CiaraSherry 6th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 8Thanks
    CiaraSherry
    0 WOW
    Best Way to Spend in Multiple Countries?
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Best Way to Spend in Multiple Countries? 6th Mar 18 at 1:43 PM
    Hello,

Really hope someone can help. I'm at a loss for how best to deal with my finances whilst on holiday. I'm going to Singapore, New Zealand and Australia so need some way of accessing all three currencies. I don't know how much I'm likely to spend in each place, and am unlikely to ever return so am cautious of getting cash out.

I think maybe a credit card would be best, but then people have mentioned Revolut and Monzo, so now I don't know how best to approach this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ciara
Page 1
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 6th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    NelliePie
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    I've used a revolute card and it's so simple and easy (and ive got better rates than any currency exchange I could find). My partner travels a lot with work and has successfully used it in the US, Mexico, Australia, China and many more. It's all controlled simply through an app on your phone - you transfer some money across (like a normal bank transfer) then you can keep it in pounds or change it to the desired currency straight away - you can choose depending on the days exchange rate and if you think it'll go up or down. Either way when you pay on your cards it'll take it out in the item's currency first but if there's not enough of that currency it'll take the funds out in pounds at whatever the exchange rate is.

I hope that makes sense!
    NP
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    FTB June '17 - 144k.
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 6th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    At the moment - up until Sunday revolut are offering a first free physical card. Good time to get one
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 6th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    This is the best card, beats all the rest for foreign travel.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

Where else will you find a fee free credit card deal for ATMs and on purchases abroad for the next 4 + years ?

You will need a back up card. of course, several options.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,514 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    I'm going to Singapore, New Zealand and Australia so need some way of accessing all three currencies.
    Originally posted by CiaraSherry
    The best choice 'travel' cards give you access to virtually all currencies at ideal rates without fees, at the time of using the card.

Don't make the mistake of choosing only one, any card can be declined, lost or fail somehow, it will cost nothing to take two or three.
    So perhaps a credit card - Halifax Clarity / Barclaycard Platinum Travel / Tandem (new, 0.5% cashback).
    A bank card - Starling / Monzo.
    And a prepaid card - Revolut / Loot.

The Barclaycard is the only Visa (all others are MasterCard), which could be useful for some occasion/location. The Revolut plastic card being free this week (usually 5) makes it extra attractive. Note that Revolut and Monzo allow only 200 ATM withdrawal per month without fees, Loot allows two free withdrawals per month, then 1 fee.

Always pay in the local currency and avoid any offer by an ATM to convert your pounds for you, your card needs to do the conversion at its ideal exchange rate.

https://www.starlingbank.com/

https://loot.io/
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 7th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    We use a Nationwide flex card to get money fee free from an ATM and a Nationwide credit card to get fee free shopping. we also take Halifax as a back up.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 9th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    We use a Nationwide flex card to get money fee free from an ATM and a Nationwide credit card to get fee free shopping. we also take Halifax as a back up.
    Is that Nationwide debit card not tied into having a current account with monthly fee ?
    • WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 9th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    When we go abroad I use an Aqua Mastercard which doesn't charge a conversion fee, and also gives cashback (0.5%).
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 11th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    When we go abroad I use an Aqua Mastercard which doesn't charge a conversion fee, and also gives cashback (0.5%).
    Only for goods and services, not cash.

According to the website, if I've got the correct information, there are fees for foreign cash at ATMs.

Foreign usage
    Payment scheme exchange rateIndicative rates can be found at Mastercard Opens in new tab or new window
    One or more of the following may apply:
    Non-Sterling Transaction fee2.95% of the amount of the sterling transaction value
    Cash fee3% of the amount of the transaction (3 minimum)
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 11th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    I use the following:

Barclaycard Travel Card - allows cash withdrawals although I've never used it for that. Mainly got this so I can shop in CostCo USA (which requires a Visa Credit Card), although it has come in handy for Visa-only promotions!

Starling Bank Debit Card - A MasterCard with fee-free withdrawals. No monthly limit like Monzo.

Aqua Reward - 0.5% MasterCard cashback on fee-free foreign spend.

Generally the order is: Aqua, Starling, Barclaycard -- MasterCard tends to have a slightly better rate than Visa.

I also hold a Metro Bank as a backup when in EU. I've used Revolut in the past but not used them since getting the Starling account.
    Last edited by stevenhp1987; 11-03-2018 at 6:29 PM.
    • WorldTraveller
    • By WorldTraveller 13th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    WorldTraveller
    Only for goods and services, not cash.

According to the website, if I've got the correct information, there are fees for foreign cash at ATMs.

Foreign usage
    Payment scheme exchange rateIndicative rates can be found at Mastercard Opens in new tab or new window
    One or more of the following may apply:
    Non-Sterling Transaction fee2.95% of the amount of the sterling transaction value
    Cash fee3% of the amount of the transaction (3 minimum)
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Yes I'd forgotten about the fee for taking out cash - which I never do with my credit card. I normally take enough cash so don't need to use an atm, but if I did I would use my bank card anyway (though that probably also charges a fee I'd imagine).
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Ther are fee free "friendly" debit cards for foreign ATMs - as mentioned above, Starling is a great choice - although it's App based and you need a tablet or smartphone etc.

I have one and it's so easy to manage via my iPad.
    • cheapholidayguru
    • By cheapholidayguru 14th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheapholidayguru
    Revolut would be my pick but have you also taken a look at WeSwap?
    • SavvySpaniel
    • By SavvySpaniel 27th Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    SavvySpaniel
    I have a Monzo card and used it a lot whilst travelling last year. It was a pre-paid card then, but has since been converted to one of their current accounts. I can still use it abroad and it uses the Mastercard Exchange rate. They have however now put a limit on how much cash I can withdraw from ATMs before being charged (I think the first 200 per month is still free).

I really like the card - the app that goes with it is really nice too - and if you need help, you can chat with operators via the app.

I would also echo what a couple of other posters have said ... always pay in the local currency when using the card (and also at ATM machines). Don't accept their kind offers to convert it to GBP for you - let the Monzo card do it!! I was caught out by this once ... but am more watchful now!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 28th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    The Monzo card is now less attractive than Starling which has no ATM fees - Monzo was as good until it introduced the 3% charge for cash withdrawn above the first 200 each month.

The Metrobank debit card is equally as good for countries in Europe (SEPA to be precise) - especially as you can now apply online, no need to visit a branch.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/i-want-some-information-about/using-my-card-abroad/

Europe is a bit misleading, for example, you can withdraw Euros in a small part of North America and a couple of islands in the Caribbean.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 28-03-2018 at 9:27 AM.
    • AimHigh
    • By AimHigh 29th Mar 18, 2:51 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    AimHigh
    Appreciate this has already been covered but I used a Revolut card when I spent a few weeks in New Zealand last year and it worked like an absolute dream. Also worked fine in both Dubai and Australian airports en route
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

816Posts Today

6,417Users online

Martin's Twitter