Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 283Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: First Direct tops our service poll
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    MSE News: First Direct tops our service poll 6th Mar 18 at 1:26 PM
    First Direct has again taken the crown in our banking customer service poll with nine out of ten giving it top marks, but RBS retained its wooden spoon with almost a third rating its service 'poor.'...
    Read the full story:
    'First Direct tops our customer service poll (again) - check how well your bank did'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    OMG! First Direct topping an MSE banking poll, who'd have imagined that?

* awaits shocking revelations about the arboreal defecatory habits of ursine mammals *
    • minislim
    • By minislim 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    minislim
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

maybe if you concentrated on your customers more before profits you might fair better in polls.

RBS and natwest have terrible savings rates and mortgages aren't that great either.

also they keep on closing branches even after the promised not to back in 2015.

sort these out and you might do better.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

maybe if you concentrated on your customers more before profits you might fair better in polls.

RBS and natwest have terrible savings rates and mortgages aren't that great either.

Originally posted by minislim
    The poll specifically asks about customer service and explicitly states "Ignore rates or any other products" so isn't an effective measure of overall satisfaction with products or branch network.

It isn't really an effective measure of anything much, given the disparity between voter population by bank and the respective customer bases, so First Direct attracted almost as many votes as Lloyds and HSBC combined for example, i.e. their loyal band of devotees distorts the true picture....
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,637 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

I thought the lesson from this would be to match the winner branch for branch.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    It isn't really an effective measure of anything much, given the disparity between voter population by bank and the respective customer bases, so First Direct attracted almost as many votes as Lloyds and HSBC combined for example, i.e. their loyal band of devotees distorts the true picture....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Or maybe First Direct just have great service.

After all more Santandar (and Nationwide) Customers vote than First Direct, but that doesn't help their numbers.

Or looking at it another way, First Direct get roughtly double the votes of HSBC, however they have less that a quarter of the number of (in Credit) Bad vote. Thats eight times better, even between brand stablemates.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    Another statistically invalid poll on customer service of the major banks.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 6th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    colsten
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:32 PM

After all more Santandar (and Nationwide) Customers vote than First Direct, but that doesn't help their numbers.

Or looking at it another way, First Direct get roughtly double the votes of HSBC, however they have less that a quarter of the number of (in Credit) Bad vote. Thats eight times better, even between brand stablemates.
    Originally posted by telemarks
    This happens when an entire Customer Service Centre casts their votes for their Service. #ItsNotRocketScience
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:04 AM

Yes, I do get the argument that by using percentages rather than absolute votes, it theoretically evens itself out, but when the sample sizes are so tiny and fragmented, it doesn't take much to skew the results, in either direction....
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 7th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    Yes, I do get the argument that by using percentages rather than absolute votes, it theoretically evens itself out, but when the sample sizes are so tiny and fragmented, it doesn't take much to skew the results, in either direction....
    What you say is true. But ..
    ... consider that this MSE poll has a far bigger sample size than many of those political polls, that get elicit fantastical rhetoric across all media every 5 years.
    Which type of poll has more value?
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 7th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    This happens when an entire Customer Service Centre casts their votes for their Service. #ItsNotRocketScience
    Originally posted by colsten
    Sorry I was forgetting that only workers at one bank have access to the internet, all other banks having baned their workers from going online #GetReal

PS Disclaimer, I do not work for FD, but have been a customer of Midland then FD for over 25years.
    Last edited by telemarks; 07-03-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added PS
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    ... consider that this MSE poll has a far bigger sample size than many of those political polls, that get elicit fantastical rhetoric across all media every 5 years.
    The way opinion polling works is quite different. It does use a statistically valid model. The issue with opinion polls is whether or not people have been honest in their answers, rather than whether the answers given are statistically valid.

The way MSE polls work doesn't account for difference in response rates, or for people voting more than once.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Given their inaccuracy, political opinion polls have been pretty widely discredited as well over the past few years, but at least they have some sort of scientific approach in terms of sample selection.

The MSE polls are effectively more akin to the likes of TripAdvisor or TrustPilot or TV reality shows, where anyone with whatever agenda can say what they like however often they choose to do so.
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 23,881 Thanks
    redux
    OMG! First Direct topping an MSE banking poll, who'd have imagined that?

* awaits shocking revelations about the arboreal defecatory habits of ursine mammals *
    It's about as surprising as the mobile network giffgaff winning all sorts of publicly voted awards after asking the thousands of people on their support forum to vote for them
    • minislim
    • By minislim 7th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    minislim
    The poll specifically asks about customer service and explicitly states "Ignore rates or any other products" so isn't an effective measure of overall satisfaction with products or branch network.

erm not what i read. you only "Ignore rates or any other products, and service if it's more than six months old."

in my eyes rate and other products offered are classed as part of customer service.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 7th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    eschaton
    They might have great customer service but they still live in the dark ages.

I want to close my FD credit card but still have an outstanding balance after my next direct debit, as I've been making one purchase per month on the card as I needed the direct debit.

I wanted to pay via my First Account so I messaged them to find out if it was possible. They set it up for me to do but then said that I need to phone them still for the first payment.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    erm not what i read. you only "Ignore rates or any other products, and service if it's more than six months old."

in my eyes rate and other products offered are classed as part of customer service.
    The punctuation is significant here, so the comma means that the reference to six months only applies to service, not to rates or products, which are clearly not 'customer service' as such.

If you're still confused, the context within which that quote appears makes it perfectly clear:
    Every six months we ask for your help to track the quality of customer service provided by banks. By comparing your answers with last time, we can see which have got better or worse.

So, please vote based on CUSTOMER SERVICE for your main CURRENT account over the last SIX MONTHS. Ignore rates or any other products, and service if it's more than six months old.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 7th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    colsten
    One basic problem with the MSE poll is that there is no definition of "customer service", and even if there were, all those taking part in the polls will still have their own, often sub-conscious, definition of what it is. Furthermore, those who act upon this kind of surveys, be the surveys from MSE or Which? or other organisations, will have yet another definition. I have long stopped participating in the surveys, and I have been ignoring them for the purposes of selecting which bank to open accounts with - mainly because there were/are reasons for having accounts with just about all of them.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    eskbanker
    One basic problem with the MSE poll is that there is no definition of "customer service", and even if there were, all those taking part in the polls will still have their own, often sub-conscious, definition of what it is. Furthermore, those who act upon this kind of surveys, be the surveys from MSE or Which? or other organisations, will have yet another definition.
    ....as evidenced by the poster above whose own personal definition is clearly at odds with that envisaged by MSE when asking the question in the first place.

Roll on 15 August, when banks will be obliged to publish performance against meaningful and objective customer service metrics!
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 12th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    Great Bank.
    I am, therefore I think.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin