Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 6th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 75Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    The Great Hunt: Been mis-sold car finance?
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    The Great Hunt: Been mis-sold car finance? 6th Mar 18 at 1:24 PM
    If you've bought a car in the last couple of years and think you were sold a finance deal you didn't fully understand, or were persuaded to buy extras (eg, wheel and paint protection) you didn't need, we want to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 6th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    Wouldn't it make a refreshing change to ask if anyone had mis-bought something?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4,749 Posts
    • 19,284 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Oh god does this mean when these companies that bug the Carp out of me by phone me to make sure I have not missed out on the great PPI Selling scandal will have something else to be able to claim for me?
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 6th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    How on earth would you show you didn't need paint protection or alloy wheel cover? Whilst I don't think these things are particularly necessary or VFM they do what they say, the only time they wouldn't be any use is if you were buying a car you weren't planning to drive!
    • keithyno.1
    • By keithyno.1 7th Mar 18, 2:40 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    keithyno.1
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:40 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:40 AM
    Oh, here we go with another 'mis-sold/mis-selling' bandwagon! Look, when are people going to take some responsibility for themselves? If you're not sure about it, don't sign for it!
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    Is there any compo involved? I'm sure I could come up with something if I get a wedge.
    This space for hire.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 7th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    If you've bought a car in the last couple of years and think you were sold a finance deal you didn't fully understand, or were persuaded to buy extras (eg, wheel and paint protection) you didn't need, we want to hear from you.

Originally posted by MSE Kelvin
    if this was as common as you are suggesting , it would be far from a hunt , folks would be tripping over the damm thing
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 7th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Bellisima
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    I usually do the 3 year PCP thing. I noticed a real difference when I got my last car - no hard sell for GAP insurance, cleaning polish stuff, or any extras. It was a revelation! I!!!8217;m usually ready to say NO, NO, NO but I didn!!!8217;t have to this time. I think the car showrooms are listening, or at least they are at a Skoda.
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Bellisima
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    What!!!8217;s up with this site? Every time I type an apostrophe a load of crazy numbers follow it once posted........see above lol
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    waamo
    What!!!8217;s up with this site? Every time I type an apostrophe a load of crazy numbers follow it once posted........see above lol
    Originally posted by Bellisima
    Turn off smart punctuation that's what's causing it.
    This space for hire.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 7th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    can we hunt whilst riding elephants , and have big guns please
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 16,603 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    motorguy
    Its frankly ridiculous that this is trying to be spun as "mis-selling".

Stuff like this does nothing but encourage the Claim Britain culture.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 16,603 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    motorguy

Just because someone decides in hindsight they didnt need it doesnt mean they were mis-sold it
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 7th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Bellisima
    Turn off smart punctuation that's what's causing it.
    Originally posted by waamo

Only happens on this site and I have noticed to lots of other people too. Fine anywhere else. Weird.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    waamo
    Only happens on this site and I have noticed to lots of other people too. Fine anywhere else. Weird.
    It's a glitch in the MSE forum software. For some reason it can't cope with the Smart Punctuation feature found on many devices.
    This space for hire.
    • k12479
    • By k12479 7th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    k12479
    You're clearly a victim of mis-sold punctuation.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 7th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    eschaton

So you are asking people to admit to being stupid?
    • kazt2006
    • By kazt2006 7th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    kazt2006
    This is not exactly missing selling but it is potentially an attempt to. I bought a new car 13 months ago as my terrible teen previous model was being just that! Went to Evans Halshaw as I had seen what I wanted at a branch about 30 miles away and wanted to view the model before requesting it was brought the local branch.

Did not end up with my original choice as it had been sold in the interim, but they had another near London which would be equally good. From the outset I made clear it was a cash purchase and that no finance was required. Once I had been out in the said car, and agreed I would take it, the sales guy left me and I was joined by their financial advisor. I was very abrupt with him when he tried to interest me in a finance plan with additional insurance extras such as gap insurance and upholstery cover etc. This really irritated me as I kept having to say, it is a cash purchase and at one point he even wanted to know where the cash was coming from - irrelevant!

Yes ok it was part funded by an interest free loan over 3 years from the bank of Mum & Dad, with the rest from my savings but this was nothing to do with the garage.

Had I not been money mad - an accountant by trade - I could have been conned into a really expensive finance deal. When I mentioned my irritation to the sales person, the guy just said it was part of the process they had to go through to make sure customers understood their options!
    Last edited by kazt2006; 07-03-2018 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Format of punctuation was all wrong
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 7th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    bazzyb

at one point he even wanted to know where the cash was coming from - irrelevant!

Yes ok it was part funded by an interest free loan over 3 years from the bank of Mum & Dad, with the rest from my savings but this was nothing to do with the garage.
    Originally posted by kazt2006
    The source of funds is not irrelevant at all. They are required to do their due diligence in line with AML regulations.
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    The source of funds is not irrelevant at all. They are required to do their due diligence in line with AML regulations.
    Originally posted by bazzyb

So if you said "selling drugs" they would refuse to sell it to you?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin