Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rabidant
    • By rabidant 6th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rabidant
    PPI on old agreement not sure who to claim off
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    PPI on old agreement not sure who to claim off 6th Mar 18 at 12:58 PM
    Hi Have found paperwork for an old HP agreement from 1990 which included a payment protection plan the hp company no longer exist but the Payment protection plan was from furrows for ford a ford dealer under written by Cornhill insurance.
    1. is it worth pursuing such an old claim (have all paperwork)
    2. would you approach Furrows the dealer, Ford or Cornhill insurance the under writer?
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 16,827 Posts
    • 17,825 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    1) No, as it's pre regulation.
    2) You would approach whoever sold the PPI to you, but see 1).
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 92,610 Posts
    • 59,921 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    I concur with zx81.

Car dealers were not regulated until January 2005. So, they do not need to consider PPI complaints for sales made before that date.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 6th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    sun73
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    Old ppi agreement who to claim off
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    Hi Have found paperwork for an old HP agreement from 1990 which included a payment protection plan the hp company no longer exist but the Payment protection plan was from furrows for ford a ford dealer under written by Cornhill insurance.
    1. is it worth pursuing such an old claim (have all paperwork)
    2. would you approach Furrows the dealer, Ford or Cornhill insurance the under writer?
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by rabidant
    I had a ppi policy, underwritten by Cornhill Insurance, sold to me in the early 1990's by a business that wasn't regulated until 2005. I discovered that Allianz acquired Cornhill, so I submitted my complaint to them. It was initially rejected but this gave me access to FOS who found in my favour. Hope this helps you.
    • FiftySix
    • By FiftySix 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FiftySix
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    hello dunstonh
    I've just read your post about unregulated company's and PPI and wondered if my refused ppi claim with Welcome Finance in 1993 was a lost cause. They say they weren't regulated till 2003, so I cant claim. I know its a long time ago, but its also a lot of money. Any advice would be great. Thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 92,610 Posts
    • 59,921 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    I have read responses confirming that Welcome only accept liability from 2003. And that their insurance underwriter (Aviva) will accept liability from around 2001 to 2003 when Welcome take liability. (pinning down a date is not easy).

I havent seen any success that I can recall from a case that far back. Doesn't mean they don't exist. Just that I can remember seeing any. I dont think you will be lucky though. The bit that make the underwriter carry the liability on pre-regulation cases is their membership of GISC. GISC started in 2001.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • FiftySix
    • By FiftySix 7th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FiftySix
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    Oh, thank you. My original papers indicate that Lloyds were the underwriters ? The agreement says " Lloyd's Insurance Ltd" effected through "Marketing & Management services" for "Mortgage Protection (uk) Ltd SP.
    I have no idea what it all means, and as it was part and parcel of us securing a mortgage at the time, it was overlooked by us. Silly I know, but we were young and nave at the time. Seems unfair that, all these years later when we know it was wrong, that we cant get it put right. but thank you again for the fast response.
    • rabidant
    • By rabidant 7th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabidant
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    Thanks for the feedback thought it was worth sending an email and see what happens will keep you all updated
    • societys child
    • By societys child 7th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    Seems unfair that, all these years later when we know it was wrong, that we cant get it put right.
    Originally posted by FiftySix
    Take consolation in the fact that the uphold rates of MPPI complaints is very low.
    MPPI is not "wrong" and policies are still available today. Don't confuse it with loan and credit card PPI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,664Posts Today

7,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin