Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abssorb
    • By abssorb 6th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 4Thanks
    abssorb
    Best option forCar PCP Final Payment - Keeping car
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    Best option forCar PCP Final Payment - Keeping car 6th Mar 18 at 12:53 PM

I have a short PCP which is coming to an end, with a final payment of 12k and I've decided to keep the car.

I could get a loan, but it's been suggested I might be able to use a 0% credit card. But I suspect that would be considered a cash advance and the rates might be tricky.

Does anyone have any experience / suggestions please?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 16,788 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    I suspect the suggestion was to get a money transfer card and just pay the fee in return for the promo rate.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    I just settled a PCP agreement, they wouldn't accept debit or credit card, only a bank transfer.
    • abssorb
    • By abssorb 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    abssorb
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    That's useful - thanks.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    That's why money transfer to the account was recommended (at promotional 0% rate) and then you settle PCP with cash or debit card linked to your account.

• liviboy
    • By liviboy 7th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    liviboy
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    If you don't get a large enough offer on a money transfer card, I just settled my PCP in December with a loan from Zopa at 2.8%...they do a softsearch first.

My wife settled hers with a loan at 2.8% with the AA (through Bank of Ireland) as Zopa offered her a rate of 8.9%.

Both also offered cashback via Topcashback at the time of around 40-50 so worth checking (don't apply only because of the cashback - get the best rate loan!).
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 7th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    To be honest, for 0% CC method. You'd needed to have stoozed the money beforehand.

Not sure what your typical credit limits are, but mine is 5-7K and I would have needed to apply for 2 money tranfer cards at the same time which wouldn't have worked. The 2nd card would have been suspicious IMHO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,327Posts Today

5,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin