Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 759Posts
    • 497Thanks
    ceh209
    Why does this have to be so stressful?
    • #1
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    Why does this have to be so stressful? 6th Mar 18 at 12:42 PM
    I need your advice please!

    Situation:
    - Our buyer is in rented, mortgage offer expires on 13th March. It's already been extended so can't be again.
    - Our vendor will be moving in to rented. Refuses to move before 16th March as they have no time to sort removals (despite knowing for a few weeks we were ready to go imminently)

    Options that have been suggested or come to mind:
    - Do not complete on our sale by 13th. Buyer has to get new mortgage offer (at higher rate, which they don't want to do) and we end up annoying them and not moving for probably at least a month
    - Informal arrangement where we do complete on our sale on the 13th but stay in the house (the buyer suggested this, I know if solicitors got any wind of it they wouldn't allow it)
    - Buyers draws down mortgage funds on 13th and completes on 16th (don't know if this is possible?)
    - We complete on sale on 13th and purchase on 16th, with our vendor paying for cattery and extra removal/storage costs (and possibly hotel, although we probably could find somewhere to stay) for 3 days. I assume vendor will refuse so we end up paying, and I've never used a cattery before

    I don't know what to do any more!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 6th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    Go on holiday for a week.
    Don't be angry!
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    Go on holiday for a week.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Tempting, but doesn't really solve the issue...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • #4
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    For so few days I'd store household contents and go away, cat will be fine. when we moved last, we thought we might have the same thing, so contemplated camping for 2 weeks as it was the summer anyway.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6,473 Posts
    • 6,361 Thanks
    eddddy
    • #5
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • #5
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    So is all the legal stuff done, and the solicitors are happy to exchange?

    Assuming that your vendors are aware of the whole situation, what is their proposed solution (if you say that you are unwilling to be 'homeless' for 3 days)?

    Are they happy to wait the extra month, and hope that your buyer can get a new mortgage? And risk the chain falling apart if your buyer can't get a new mortgage? How desperate are they to move?
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    • #6
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • #6
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    So is all the legal stuff done, and the solicitors are happy to exchange?

    Assuming that your vendors are aware of the whole situation, what is their proposed solution (if you say that you are unwilling to be 'homeless' for 3 days)?

    Are they happy to wait the extra month, and hope that your buyer can get a new mortgage? And risk the chain falling apart if your buyer can't get a new mortgage? How desperate are they to move?
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Yes everyone is ready to exchange, but can't agree a completion date.

    Our vendors are aware and are still refusing. I even suggested removal companies who told us they were available (but that was a week ago so may not be now) but they won't even call them. They haven't got any proposed solution, just saying it is our problem

    Our buyers will get a new mortgage offer but at a higher interest rate so they won't be happy, but it's not the end of the world. Both buyer and vendor are apparently desparate to move.

    I have just asked the vendor's estate agent to ask them to pay additional costs and he's said they won't.
    Last edited by ceh209; 06-03-2018 at 1:20 PM.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 6,473 Posts
    • 6,361 Thanks
    eddddy
    • #7
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • #7
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    They haven't got any proposed solution, just saying it is our problem
    Originally posted by ceh209
    Well, I suppose you could tell them it's their problem.

    It sounds like a game of chicken... you want to complete on the 13th, your vendor to complete on the 16th. So who can hold their nerve longer?

    If you clearly and firmly state that you will not complete on the 16th under any circumstances, your vendor may give in (or they may not).

    They're less likely to give in if you're giving the impression that you're considering the option of being 'homeless' for 3 days, and/or you're giving the impression that you're more desperate than they are.

    It's all a bit of a game really.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    • #8
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • #8
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    Well, I suppose you could tell them it's their problem.

    It sounds like a game of chicken... you want to complete on the 13th, your vendor to complete on the 16th. So who can hold their nerve longer?

    If you clearly and firmly state that you will not complete on the 16th under any circumstances, your vendor may give in (or they may not).

    They're less likely to give in if you're giving the impression that you're considering the option of being 'homeless' for 3 days, and/or you're giving the impression that you're more desperate than they are.

    It's all a bit of a game really.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    I'm currently trying to find out exactly how much it would cost to be homeless for 3 days. Removal company is calling me back with a quote later...

    The EA says they might pull out if we ask them to pay costs... this vendor is beginning to sound very flakey - but do I want to lose what is meant to be our forever home for the sake of possibly a few hundred pounds?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 5,412 Posts
    • 7,587 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • #9
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • #9
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    Do they want to lose all the costs they have incurred for three days? It sounds a bit insane
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    There's no way I'd sell without buying simultaneously in this situation. I wouldn't trust your sellers not to keep coming up with more obstructions so that 3 days ends up being a lot longer, or you end up not getting the house at all. Its a big risk.

    I'd tell them that its either the 13th or its not happening, because you are not willing to risk making yourselves homeless. If they let you pull out they were probably never going to sell to you anyway.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 6th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Its not actually your problem, its their problem, they complete on the 13th or the chain collapses and they dont complete at all. Balls firmly in their court!
    ,
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    Its not actually your problem, its their problem, they complete on the 13th or the chain collapses and they dont complete at all. Balls firmly in their court!
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    Trouble is I think they won't complete at all. We were told when we viewed that their mortgage company was going to repossess (it's a big renovation that went over budget) but then they refinanced, so I don't think they're that bothered about moving any more

    Cattery can be done for £60 (2 mins walk from new house lol). Can stay with parents although my commute will be awful. Just waiting on removal company costs...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • jayII
    • By jayII 6th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 38,158 Posts
    • 107,075 Thanks
    jayII
    There's no way I'd sell without buying simultaneously in this situation. I wouldn't trust your sellers not to keep coming up with more obstructions so that 3 days ends up being a lot longer, or you end up not getting the house at all. Its a big risk.

    I'd tell them that its either the 13th or its not happening, because you are not willing to risk making yourselves homeless. If they let you pull out they were probably never going to sell to you anyway.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

    This.^^^^

    They sound worrying casual about the whole situation so I'd be concerned that they're having second thoughts and will pull out right before exchange.

    You might have to let this one go, unfortunately.
    Fighting the biggest battle of my life. Started 30th January 2018.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Personally I'd have everyone exchange on 10th and complete the sal eon 13th, purchase on 16th and leave the cats and furniture in the house and stay in a hotel.

    We had a rider included in our contract which stated the sellers could store their furniture in the house (specific area) for 3 months. Their solicitor retained £300 for the cost of removing it, which they got back once they removed it. Worked well and got everybody moving.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    Personally I'd have everyone exchange on 10th and complete the sal eon 13th, purchase on 16th and leave the cats and furniture in the house and stay in a hotel.

    We had a rider included in our contract which stated the sellers could store their furniture in the house (specific area) for 3 months. Their solicitor retained £300 for the cost of removing it, which they got back once they removed it. Worked well and got everybody moving.
    Originally posted by Rambosmum
    Looks like that is what will be happening, except we can stay with my parents to reduce the cost a bit as we will end up paying. Just spoken to our solicitor, she is making one last atetmpt to get our buyers' mortgage company to extend by 3 days, mentioning the snow as extenuating circumstances (which is actually partly true). Will keep you updated!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 6th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 4,723 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    This happened to my daughter. In the end she rented a holiday home for 10 days and put her furniture into store. She managed to get a contribution from other people in the chain and the agents involved cut their fees. It still cost her about £900, but it was cheaper than losing her buyer whose mortgage offer was about to expire.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    Extra removals will cost about £500. Final decision to be made with my OH tonight...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Personally I'd have everyone exchange on 10th and complete the sal eon 13th, purchase on 16th and leave the cats and furniture in the house and stay in a hotel.

    .
    Originally posted by Rambosmum

    Ah I didn’t think of that, good solution! Except the 10th is a Saturday so exchange on the 9th!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 6,279 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Yes everyone is ready to exchange, but can't agree a completion date.

    Our vendors are aware and are still refusing. I even suggested removal companies who told us they were available (but that was a week ago so may not be now) but they won't even call them. They haven't got any proposed solution, just saying it is our problem

    Our buyers will get a new mortgage offer but at a higher interest rate so they won't be happy, but it's not the end of the world. Both buyer and vendor are apparently desparate to move.

    I have just asked the vendor's estate agent to ask them to pay additional costs and he's said they won't.
    Originally posted by ceh209

    You have not yet exchanged? I think everything else is moot until you have.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 6th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    You have not yet exchanged? I think everything else is moot until you have.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Well they can't exchange until they have agreed a completion date (or dates if they end up doing sale and purchase completion separately), so not really
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter