Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ruby2812
    • By Ruby2812 6th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ruby2812
    Diesel Car
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    Diesel Car 6th Mar 18 at 12:36 PM
    Hi all
    Looking at buying a car in the next couple of months. Won’t be buying new, 3 or 4 year old. Is it worth buying a diesel?
    I have always driven diesel and just wonder is it the beginning of the end for diesel?
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    It depends how you drive, if low mileage than i would suggest petrol to avoid DPF and related issues.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    How many miles are you planning on doing?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    Hi all
    Looking at buying a car in the next couple of months. Won!!!8217;t be buying new, 3 or 4 year old. Is it worth buying a diesel?
    I have always driven diesel and just wonder is it the beginning of the end for diesel?
    Originally posted by Ruby2812
    It isn't the beginning of the end, there's a lot of scaremongering and absolute outright rubbish being spouted by a lot of very clueless people at the moment especially in the newspapers. If you're only doing short journeys then you want to be getting a diesel because the DPFs don't like just doing short journeys. If you do a long run every so often then it should be OK. I would avoid anything that has done under 10,000 miles a year.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 6th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    It isn't the beginning of the end, there's a lot of scaremongering and absolute outright rubbish being spouted by a lot of very clueless people at the moment especially in the newspapers. If you're only doing short journeys then you want to be getting a diesel because the DPFs don't like just doing short journeys. If you do a long run every so often then it should be OK. I would avoid anything that has done under 10,000 miles a year.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I'm assuming you meant you don't want to be getting a diesel for short distances.

I'm on my first petrol not because I'm worried about what happens with diesel in the future but purely because diesel is no longer the simple and reliable solution with the increasingly complex emissions regulations, I don't do the mileage to justify the additional hassle.

John
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    The clean air zone that is coming in where I live does not include private diesel cars in the charging system (unless you're a taxi driver).
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    The clean air zone that is coming in where I live does not include private diesel cars in the charging system (unless you're a taxi driver).
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    And EURO 6(after September 2014) vehicles are free, because they emit much less pollution.

• Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    And EURO 6(after September 2014) vehicles are free, because they emit much less pollution.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Ironically less than a petrol car. Funny how the media ignored that little inconvenient fact. In fact when it comes to emissions of the most harmful gas, Carbon Monoxide, the levels for diesel cars have been set at below half that of petrol cars for over 20 years since Euro 2 came in in 1996.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    Ironically less than a petrol car. Funny how the media ignored that little inconvenient fact. In fact when it comes to emissions of the most harmful gas, Carbon Monoxide, the levels for diesel cars have been set at below half that of petrol cars for over 20 years since Euro 2 came in in 1996.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    But that is in relation to climate change, diesel engines emit more NOx, which is bad for peoples health.

• FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 8th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Just be aware that not all diesel vehicles registered after this date have euro 6 engines.

Some started from 2015 but for many models you'll need to be looking at a 16 plate or later.

You can check by using the registration number and searching for the tax details on the car.

Ironically real world tests have shown that many Euro 6 cars that have supposedly passed the standard - actually have worse NOx emmisions than older Euro 5 or even 4 cars.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Ironically real world tests have shown that many Euro 6 cars that have supposedly passed the standard - actually have worse NOx emmisions than older Euro 5 or even 4 cars.
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    I wonder how the tests work?

Is the Euro 6 limit 0.08 NOx just at tick-over, and the emissions when accelerating are not tested?

• JP1978
    • By JP1978 8th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    JP1978
    Just be aware that not all diesel vehicles registered after this date have euro 6 engines.

Some started from 2015 but for many models you'll need to be looking at a 16 plate or later.

You can check by using the registration number and searching for the tax details on the car.

Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    I saw a BBC video (I think) showing an older Skoda Octavia diesel emitting less NOx in real world than a newer petrol model........
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I saw a BBC video (I think) showing an older Skoda Octavia diesel emitting less NOx in real world than a newer petrol model........
    Originally posted by JP1978
    The best available data shows that the introduction of Euro VI standards significantly reduced real-world NOX emissions from heavy-duty vehicles.

In its current form, the Euro 6 regulation for diesel passenger cars makes none of the three changes (aside from cold-start and lower-load conditions), which is likely contributing to the high in-use emissions of these cars. The current Euro 6 regulation
    does not include transient or high-load test, does not include an off-cycle test, and does not include a PEMS in-service conformity test.
    Future Euro 6 regulations will incorporate some of these elements through the addition of WLTP and RDE

https://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Euro-VI-versus-6_ICCT_briefing_06012017.pdf

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin