Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aspoon93
    • By aspoon93 6th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    aspoon93
    Best way to invest 25/month?
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    Best way to invest 25/month? 6th Mar 18 at 12:21 PM
    Hi all,
    I am looking for some advice on the best way to invest 25 a month.

I have looked into Robo advisers such as Nutmeg/Wealthify/Moneyfarm. I have also considered passive tracker funds.
    I'm just really confused on the best place to put my money, I know it's not a lot of money but I'm young (25) and feel it is best to start now.

A little information about myself:
    - looking to invest for the long term (10+ years)
    - no debts
    - I have some savings that I could fall back on, I won't touch these
    - as soon as I can afford to invest more, I would consider doing so

Any information/tips would be greatly appreciated! Google is just confusing me!!

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    If you have access to a workplace pension are you contributing enough to get maximum employer matched contributions?
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    ricky_v
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    A LISA for your first property purchase (assuming you're not a homeowner)?
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Is this also in addition to money you are saving for a property?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/vantage-service/regular-savings

You might open an ISA and start with your 25 a month, increasing as soon as you can.

You might consider a global tracker fund?

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-global-100-index-class-i-accumulation
    • aspoon93
    • By aspoon93 6th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aspoon93
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    I am a homeowner and I am contributing to the workplace pension, although will have to double check if it's for maximum contribution.

Xylophone - I will look into your suggestions, thank you. I'll have to do some research into tracker fund fees and see what fund would work best for me.
    • aspoon93
    • By aspoon93 6th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aspoon93
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    Would you say it's a case of sticking with the big, reputable companies for the tracker funds or just shop around for the best deal?
    Thank you!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    https://www.hl.co.uk/partners/search/guide-to-investing-in-funds?theSource=PCGUT&Override=1&adg=G+FDST+GEN+IF G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_5CRs6nY2QIV57vtCh0JfQDzEAAYAS AAEgL63_D_BwE

http://monevator.com/low-cost-index-trackers/

Above might help.
    • aspoon93
    • By aspoon93 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aspoon93
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    Brilliant! I will take a look at those. Thank you!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 6th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Alexland
    I am a homeowner and I am contributing to the workplace pension, although will have to double check if it's for maximum contribution.
    Originally posted by aspoon93
    Definitely worth checking - there's not much you could invest in that would be as good as additional employer matched contributions. It would be like getting your 25, adding tax relief then maybe doubling or tripling it with an additional employer matched contribution then investing it.

If you are a homeowner with a mortgage have you considered if you own a high enough proportion of the property to be getting the best interest rates? If not then even a few small regular overpayments can sometimes improve your LTV ratio and save you interest on the remainder of the mortgage.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,030Posts Today

5,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin