Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Tootling
    Fireplace
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    Fireplace 6th Mar 18 at 12:14 PM
    Hi there,

We are buying a house, which is really nice but we want to get rid of the fireplace. It's right where we want to put the TV basically. It isn't a real fireplace, just a surround - there is no chimney and the fire I believe is electric. So in my opinion a totally pointless waste of space in a room that is fairly small too begin with. The current tv placement is at a funny angle to their sofas. So i don't really know how they watch it. Some of the other houses on the street with the same design of house have it in the other corner which makes more sense but we'd rather have it on the wall, centre rather than bunched up.

How much will it cost to remove and fix? My other issue is that of course it'll leave a gap in the flooring. I wasn't planning on re-flooring the place yet. I'd like to in the future but the present floor is fine.

Mr and my OH are DIY-a-phobes. We can put shelves up and fix minor things like filling in holes and light fittings. But whacking fireplaces down and fixing floors probably beyond us! Or at least we aren't confident enough and know we'd do a bodged job.

So, roughly how much would it cost and any tips about patching the floor up? (It is wood-effect flooring, not laminate but I'm not sure what it is actually.) We come from a new build and then from pretty decent rented... So have had little experience beyond filling up the odd crack.

And this new house is fine really and won't need much fixing (well i hope, beyond de-mossing the roof). This is just a cosmetic practicality to be honest.

Maybe getting a new flooring in would be a good idea i guess if we could do it before or stuff is moved in. (Currently in storage as we are staying somewhere temporary due to breaking or side of the chain early.) And we could afford it... But it wasn't something we were planning to afford quite this yet.

Anyway... So, err.. To get to the point:

How much would it cost to remove fireplace ( no chimney just stick to a wall) with electric fire and how to fix flooring?

I've googled but all answers i seem to find assume it is a real fireplace with chimney chute and are about 5 years old.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 3,908 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    Is it possible that the vendors have kept some flooring offcuts that you could use to fill the gap until you redo all of the floor?

Don't forget there'll be a gap in the skirting board as well.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 06-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    Could you find an example picture on google so we have an idea of what you mean (or better yet, the right move picture).

If it's just a surround, made of wood or faux marble, they are usually screwed to the wall and should be easy to take off - the actual fire, just unplug and pull out or if wired in an eletrciian should sort it for about 60 depending on where you are in the country. If you need to replaster that should only be 80 - 160 depending on how big a patch. If you put the TV on a stand then it removes the issue of the flooring and skiting board. It's unlikely you'll be able to match the flooring and may have to do the whole room.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    If you want to delay dealing with the floor and skirting issues, you could try putting a piece of furniture there to hide them. For example, something like...

Then it might just be a case of filling the screw holes in the wall, and repainting.

Or if you stand the TV on the unit rather than fix it to the wall, you won't have as many problems hiding the cables.
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    or mount the TV on the wall over the fireplace, live with the fireplace for now until you are redecorating that room
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Some good suggestions - it may be that you can prise the surround off the wall (check if it is screwed in) - you may need to do some remedial work to smooth out the wall. A relatively large TV/entertaining unit could then go where the fireplace was - if you want the TV as a focal point of a room - depends on the size of your TV of course!!
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Tootling
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    1280.photobucket.com/user/Fishedup/media/Screenshot_20180306-151229_zpssvujjfgw.png.html?filters[user]=141024475&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Add a https.// or whatever in front of that.

Not sure how good that pic is!

Yes good idea on hiding it with a piece of furniture of course we'd have to find one wude enough. It doesn't sound like it would be too expensive to do at least. Maybe the current owner has done offcuts, i believe he being more practical minded has done most of all work himself. And from what we have seen and surveyor need to a good quality. Maybe we should pay him to take it out.. hehe! No, probably a bad idea...
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 6th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jimbog
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Fishedup/media/cGF0aDovU2NyZWVuc2hvdF8yMDE4MDMwNi0xNTEyMjlfenBzc3 Z1ampmZ3cucG5n/?ref=

You could always cannibalise the floorboards under the sofa until such time you do the whole floor
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 6th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 7,715 Posts
    • 11,272 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    Is it definitely fixed to the wall?
    My parents have something similar which is freestanding and just stands against the wall, on top of the carpet.
    If they moved they'd take it with them (and there'd be a flat patch on the carpet where it had been standing).
    Last edited by jackieblack; 06-03-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Tootling
    I would think fixed. I'd have thought risky to have it freestanding in care it fell over?! It was there before the current owner bought the house and he fitted the flooring around it i would have thought.

We even have the receipt for the thing. About 1000. It's a nice fireplace... I'm hoping that the will be other heat sources in the room. Looking at the other past sold properties all the houses came with this kind of fire and a surround although this one obvs updated since first being built. (1999)

But i hate these affectations to the past traditions. I do like fireplaces... But there is no fireplace. Or chimney so having a fireplace like this seems silly in the modern age when the centrepoint of the room is the tv (sadly... ) not the fireplace.

You'd have thought in 1999 which is hardly that long ago they'd have designed it better!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,323 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Is it definitely fixed to the wall?
    My parents have something similar which is freestanding and just stands against the wall, on top of the carpet.
    If they moved they'd take it with them (and there'd be a flat patch on the carpet where it had been standing).
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Was just thinking this looking at the photo - it's entirely possible the whole thing has just been plonked on top of the flooring so no issue there - perhaps some skirting to make good and a bit if filling / painting of the wall behind if needed.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• takman
    • By takman 6th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    takman
    Completely off topic but what is that place behind the house?.

On google satellite view it looks like a scrapyard with loads of vehicles randomly parked. It looks like it should be part of the Co-op car park but isn't.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 6th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 15,109 Thanks
    Lokolo
    I had this in my current place. I ripped it off (it was attached to the wall with big nails) and got the wall replastered. Left the flooring as I had a TV stand unit which covered it all.

You wouldn't have known it was there unless you move the TV stand.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 6th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    pinklady21
    The fireplace is fine IMHO. Remove it carefully and flog it on Gumtree or similar. I would be more concerned about the textured paint on the ceiling.......
    Taste is a very personal thing.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 6th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    In my last rental house there was a big iron fireplace surround in the living room and a smaller one in the bedroom. Against a flat wall that was never the chimney! Looked so bizarre just stuck on a random wall.

What about a rug to cover the hole in the carpet that would be left?
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 6:45 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Tootling
    Yes, the ceiling is horrid but it doesn't affect furniture placement so can wait.

Takman... How on earth did you manage to find the house from a screenshot?

We going to look at the place on Thursday so will investigate how it is fixed to wall...
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Tootling
    Why can't i add quotes or edit posts... Grr.

What you see on the satellite is them building the extension for co op car park. No longer looks like that now, just a car park.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,316 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    takman
    Yes, the ceiling is horrid but it doesn't affect furniture placement so can wait.

Takman... How on earth did you manage to find the house from a screenshot?

We going to look at the place on Thursday so will investigate how it is fixed to wall...
    Originally posted by Tootling
    I did a reverse image search on Google and found the listing for the house. But it appears to have been removed on rightmove so I wouldn't have found it at all if the estate agent wasn't still listing it on their website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin