Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oxford_yellow
    • By oxford_yellow 6th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    oxford_yellow
    partner moving in
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    partner moving in 6th Mar 18 at 11:41 AM
    Hi, i own my house 160k left on mortgage and worth around 260k - my partner currently rents but we are looking to live together at my place.

to "protect" myself financially, in the early stages, whats best to do/rights? i don't think asking her to sign a tenancy agreement will go down to well

what have others done/how have they approached it?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    Nor would it be legal. She's not a tenant, nor a lodger.

It's simple. Ask her to pay half of bills, but no 'rent' nothing towards the mortgage.

Yes she will live cheaply, but you can suggest she saves it to buy into the house down the line.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 7th Mar 18, 1:14 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:14 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:14 AM
    There is no reason why you can't charge an element of rent on top of 50% bill, that would only be fair, but you might want to both sign a cohabitation agreement which can include the fact you partner is not acquiring any beneficial interest in the property.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 7th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    I know people above are giving financial advice here but from emotional point of view asking for rent is like house sharing, nothing to do with love.
    I think part of the bills is fair and she can save to buy her part in yours or move to another place with joint mortgage one day.
    • catflap11
    • By catflap11 7th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    catflap11
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    I did this and moved in with my partner, we simply split the bills down the middle. I'm saving to buy a house myself so this works well in the long run.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    I did this and moved in with my partner, we simply split the bills down the middle. I'm saving to buy a house myself so this works well in the long run.
    Originally posted by catflap11
    This sounds rather bizarre.

It sounds like your partner is allowing you to live rent-free so you can save and buy yourself a house which he or she will have no stake in. Where are you both going to live once you buy a house?
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 07-03-2018 at 9:23 AM.
    • catflap11
    • By catflap11 7th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    catflap11
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    By splitting bills, I meant the mortgage also. I plan to rent out the new place
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 6,033 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    By splitting bills, I meant the mortgage also. I plan to rent out the new place
    Originally posted by catflap11
    That is what I thought you meant, catflap11.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    A cohabitation agreement would protect you - it can specifically set out what will (and won't) result in you partner gaining any interest in the property.
    And having the conversation ahead of time should help the two of you to make sure you both have the same expectations so you can address these now, rather than finding out that you were not on the same page if things go wrong later down the line.
    • Pa Ja
    • By Pa Ja 7th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Pa Ja
    You could also ask her to pay half the mortgage but infact you could just squirrel that money in another account so if the day comes and she either wants to invest, you could use that saving lump or return it to her if she moves out...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin