Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 6th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 105Posts
    • 61Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Starting a new career path
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    Starting a new career path 6th Mar 18 at 11:14 AM
    Hey guys,

A bit of a background: I have a career in sales spanning the past 7 years, always in professional services. Started my first job and was there for 2.5 years before moving to another and lasting 2 years before being made redundant. Redundancy came at a bad time and I scrapped around for another job taking the first that came up.

Good role, performed well but was completely isolated from the rest of the team (geographically) and the constant working from home and no contact took its toll mentally so I jumped ship yet again. The latest company I joined was the smallest and from the start looked liked a bad decision with a number of people leaving and being unceremoniously fired.

Last week I was told that my company will be letting me go due to changes in the business direction. CV is now looking, I suspect, a little suspect as I've now been in two consecutive roles for just a year.

The (relatively) easy thing will be to go back into sales but I'm very cautious about doing that as I've been burned the last two times. Thinking about going into a different direction, maybe education or compliance, but don't fill confident applying for such roles.

Any advice about changing a career path?
Page 1
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 6th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 6,151 Posts
    • 29,599 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    A few years back, feeling a little lost at sea, I visited a careers consultant and it was worth the fee of around £300.00. She identified my strengths and weaknesses, which to be honest, we never really know ourselves and from that formulated the roles that would suit my strengths best. That would be my recommendation.

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin