Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 247Posts
    • 49Thanks
    MiraculousM
    0 WOW
    What are your long haul flights in economy tips
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    0 WOW
    What are your long haul flights in economy tips 6th Mar 18 at 10:16 AM
    List them!

Im taking a long flight (well longer than 6 hours) on American for the first time in 6 years (i usually fly BA but dont care for their product much anymore). Last time i flew american the seats were small, and there was no personal entertainment system. Im expecting the worse.

Tell me your tips and you how you survive cattle class.

(PS do american provide blankets still?)
Page 1
    • blindman
    • By blindman 6th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    blindman
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    List them!

Im taking a long flight (well longer than 6 hours) on American for the first time in 6 years (i usually fly BA but dont care for their product much anymore). Last time i flew american the seats were small, and there was no personal entertainment system. Im expecting the worse.

Tell me your tips and you how you survive cattle class.

(PS do american provide blankets still?)
    Originally posted by MiraculousM
    Think we need to know:

Day time flight?
    Are you 7ft tall (or wide )
    Solo traveller?
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 6th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    Day time out and red eye back.
    5'1 and small
    solo
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 12,073 Posts
    • 8,212 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    Personally:
    Equipment: I have a decent pair of noise-cancelling headphones and an MP3 player that connects to my computer (now just an iPhone), and some way to keep everything charged. Well before the journey I download a selection of plays from Radio 3 and some audio books and/or dramas from Audible. So after take-off I am immersed in my own world.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 13,925 Posts
    • 18,312 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Get your legs amputated.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 304,307 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    I always take my own blanket.

Ask for emergency exit seats when you check in. Or put your stuff on your seat & hover around towards the back of the plane, watch the middle row very closely. I've ended up with a 4 for the 2 of us this way. Although some people end up with a 4 all to themselves, so they can sleep for the whole trip. Act quickly though because quite a few people will have the same idea.

Drink, listen to music, read, wander up & down.

I usually always take night flights as people tend to be quieter, & I'm so exhausted that I get to sleep a bit.
    Last edited by DUKE; 06-03-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    Thanks everyone!
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    Agree with Voyager re headphones. What is the route you are travelling, do you know the aircraft type. Most transatlantic AA flights I have flown in the last 5 years have had IFE.

My seat preference if I don't get MCE on AA is an aisle seat then you can get up without disturbing fellow passangers and slightly stretch legs into the aisle.

The seats are not much bigger/smaller than other economy seats. Yes they do supply blankets.

If you are thirsty don't wait for the attendants to come round get up and ask for a drink.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,812 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    Travel with small children, so that you are constantly getting up out of your seat, taking them to the toilet, or walking up and down the plane to keep them amused.

It ensures you get plenty of exercise, no chance of DVT and you can also pack very light, as the chances of you reading a book or listening to music for more than 17 seconds are absolutely zero.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    Check to see if American still allows you to request seats in advance free of charge (online). If they do, check out www.seatguru.com for the least worst seats.

I hope you are not on a 777 as they have crammed more seats in, and are now 10 abreast.

Although BA have gone downhill, they still don't have ultra high density seating on most of their TA flights

And if you are a member of BAEC, enter your number against your booking for a few Avios.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 6th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 3,149 Thanks
    benjus
    I really struggle to sleep on planes, even in a good airline's business class, so I usually try to get some sleeping pills for long haul. My work provides a private GP service for employees, who were happy to prescribe some - don't know if the same is true for NHS GPs.

One thing I always do is set my watch/phone time to the time at my destination, then try to imagine that I'm in that time zone already, every time I look at the time I think about what I'd normally be doing at that time, and I try to sleep at the right time as much as possible. Helps reduce the shock of the time difference at arrival and I find it helps with the jet lag.
    Last edited by benjus; 06-03-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 8,934 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Flew BA to & from Australia in economy &, if you pardon the pun, it flew by.

For the night flight Id invest in an eye mask, buy some ear plugs (99p from screwfix) & I bought some of those sleep aid tablets from Tesco.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 7th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    ooh i did not know that tesco did sleep aids.

Im taking an ipad but i was looking at Seat Guru and its 10 across which i imagine is a tight squeeze and as i am a terribly nervous flyer i need the aisle seat so i have booked one in the middle (away from the windows lol).

I plan on taking a "nap" during the day flight but will take sleep aids during the night flight.

i also plan on taking snacks (or are american more generous with food). I was going to take my own blanket but all the fleece ones i have are a bit bulky.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    AA economy is not too bad. The blankets are fleece and they are usually pretty generous with the wine.

You can chose your seats in advance. Picking near the back for your return will give you more chance of empty seats near you and the opportunity to stretch out.

Worth joining their airmiles scheme, too, if only for the text alerts etc.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 7th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    Agree with a few of the posters AA aren't that bad. You can choose your seats usually 24 hours before. Depending on your route will depend on how many meals/snacks you are given and what aircraft you are on. Wine will be served in plastic cups to the brim usually and they will fill you up again with cheap plonk.

On a few of my recent Transatlantic flights with AA, economy has been very sparse, so try to grab an empty middle row if any are spare once the plane has taken off. You could then sleep easier if that is your thing.

As Pollypenny says it is worth joining the Advantage scheme.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 7th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 16,366 Posts
    • 41,366 Thanks
    elsien
    Something comfy for your feet.
    My shoes have to come off because my feet swell slightly but then they get cold. So an extra pair of thick socks or something for me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 7th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    The best tip I could give when flying Economy would be to fly Air New Zealand!
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    2018 MFW #135

600 of 2000
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    Nick_C
    But ANZ have also gone high density in Economy in their 777s
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin