Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 6th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,011Posts
    • 284Thanks
    r2015
    Minimum Purchase Price
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    Minimum Purchase Price 6th Mar 18 at 10:12 AM
    Do others feel embarrassed when they walk into Lidl and buy a 45p pint of milk on their credit card because they need an extra direct debit for their bank account?

I have 4 credit cards which I have set up direct debits to pay them in full but normally use my Nationwide credit card for the cashback.

So every week I use a different credit card to buy a pint of milk from Lidl which gives me 4 direct debits.
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    Does it state the direct debits need to be making payments, or just be "active" on your account?
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 6th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    Haha, this is not worth even the paper for the receipt but there's nothing to be embarrassed of. Some other users here have reported that their CC companies wouldn't collect the direct debit worth less than 50p though. I think you better spend a bit more than £1.00 just to be on the safe side.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    Do others feel embarrassed when they walk into Lidl and buy a 45p pint of milk on their credit card because they need an extra direct debit for their bank account?

I have 4 credit cards which I have set up direct debits to pay them in full but normally use my Nationwide credit card for the cashback.

So every week I use a different credit card to buy a pint of milk from Lidl which gives me 4 direct debits.
    Originally posted by r2015
    I never feel embarrassed to buy small priced items in shops. I usually use their self service tills and tend to pay by Apple pay.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    I usually use their self service tills
    There are none in my Lidl
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 6th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    Does it state the direct debits need to be making payments, or just be "active" on your account?
    I don't know, I have set them up to replace my Tesco savings direct debits.

Two for my Vantage account and 2 for my Reward account as I have my "proper" DDs in my Santander account to get the cashback.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 6th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 9,188 Posts
    • 13,328 Thanks
    meer53
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    Why not use it for a bigger spend if you're embarrassed ? If you're paying it off in full it doesn't make any difference.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 17,227 Posts
    • 18,308 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    Maybe up it to two pints of milk?
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Mar 18, 5:40 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:40 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:40 PM
    Why be embarrassed if that's all you need. I'd be more worried in case they have a minimum payment of £1 as some card companies do. They might not take the money then hit you with a late payment fee. I don't know if they'll hit you with the fee or not I've never ran the risk myself.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 6th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Why be embarrassed if that's all you need. I'd be more worried in case they have a minimum payment of £1 as some card companies do. They might not take the money then hit you with a late payment fee. I don't know if they'll hit you with the fee or not I've never ran the risk myself.
    Originally posted by AllieKat
    That sounds like urban myth to me.
    Last edited by SnowTiger; 06-03-2018 at 9:28 PM.
    • betweenarockandhardplace
    • By betweenarockandhardplace 6th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    betweenarockandhardplace
    I do something similar with my 2 !!!8220;unused!!!8221; cards, on one I have my now tv pass come my off it every month (£3.99) and I pay in full by direct debit and my other card I have Apple Music subscription (£4.99) every month and pay in full, just keeping the cards for length of accounts being open, I use my Barclaycard as my main credit card
    Good things come to those who wait...

House Deposit Savings: £450/£10,000
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 30,157 Posts
    • 18,015 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    The first part is true, for RBSG cards and their small balance write-off policy. However, the second part of the claim isn't, ie they're not going to write-off the small balance and then report a missed payment and charge you for it!
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Mar 18, 4:52 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I don't have a problem with using a credit card for a very small amount in a major store such as Lidl. Not sure I would ask a corner shop to accept one for 45p though.
    I don't think I would put 45p through as the sole transaction in a statement period.
    Couldn't you use your other cards a bit more. I know you want the cashback and that every penny counts, but isn't this going a bit too far?
    May I make an alternative suggestion? Your cards presumably have different billing dates. There should be a time of the month say a couple of days before your Nationwide statement date, where using a different card could get you almost a whole extra month before you have to pay Using the other cards from time to time for something more than 45p and keeping the money in your bank account for an extra month may be a good idea. Also the way that you are using your cards may look very peculiar on your credit files.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 07-03-2018 at 4:56 AM.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6,803 Posts
    • 3,697 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Yep.

I did find that Tesco gave me a minimum payment marker on my CRA report when the minimum payment was the full balance (which is what I paid). Not incorrect, but perhaps not what was intended by having a marker.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,233Posts Today

8,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin