Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonr91
    • By simonr91 6th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    simonr91
    Can't switch...
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    Can't switch... 6th Mar 18 at 9:52 AM
    Morning all,

I have a conundrum...

I moved in to a new build property in September 2017, eON is the supplier to the property and it was all new connections.

Since then I have not had a gas account set up, nor a bill from them. They finally set up my electric account and DD in December 2017. We are now in March 2018, 6 months since I moved in and I have not paid any gas bills.

Where do I stand? The constantly ignore my emails, my calls are promised with call backs to no avail. I can't switch because I have nothing to switch from and I'm going to get hit with a huge bill when they finally set up the account.

Any ideas?
Page 1
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    Yep, wait for Malc or Helena, the Eon reps on here, to come along and I am sure they will sort it out for you. It won't be easy without an account number but you are not the only person this has happened to so there must be a way.

Might I ask how you know your supplier is Eon if you have no account set up for your gas? If there is any doubt, this link might be useful to confirm it for you: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

ETA: Just found this thread about the exact same thing: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803568

Maybe one of the Board Guides could merge your thread on there.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 06-03-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    Hiya simonr91 and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Smodlet

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to speak to us on the phone. It doesn't sound like you've been put through to the correct people.

With new builds the gas and electricity is normally on what we call a 'builders' account here.

When a customer moves in a new account is opened for the customer, we rely on the customer to let us know they've moved and also ask for the start meter reads. Your account would then be set up and would bill.

It sounds like the gas maybe stuck under the builders account.

Or it may be that the gas is 'shipperless' this means there is an existing connected gas meter that is unregistered on the network.

There are teams that deal with this and will get the account set up for you. If it's stuck we need to get you speaking to new connections, if it's shipperless we need to speak to the shipperless sites guys.

Let me know if you need some help with contact numbers.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    "And I'm going to get hit with a huge bill when they finally set up the account"

You talk about that as it's bad and unfair? What else do you expect them to do? You will after all have used that gas.

Start by taking a meter reading say once a month and keep a record of the readings. Then it is simple to calculate how many units you are using each month and with the suppliers published tariff how much that will cost you. Transfer that amount to a savings account so when the big bill arrives, you have it there waiting to pay them. Don't forget to also add the standing charge and transfer that to the savings as well.

And if it all goes on longer than 12 months, they can only back bill you for 12 months, so you may end up with some of your gas for free.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    While I agree putting money away each month to pay the inevitable bills is a no-brainer, it is not easy to work out how much when you don't know your tariff rates because you have no account, now is it?

I sincerely hope Eon will treat this situation with the sensitivity it deserves as, after all, the OP has made several efforts to rectify a situation not of his own making.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • simonr91
    • By simonr91 7th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    simonr91
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    @Smodlet - Yes it is eON as the developer gave us a handover pack and told us. The meters have eON plastered on them as does the smart meter.

@Helena - The house and development is completely new so one would assume whatever was done to set up my electricity account would be duplicated on the gas account. I have an account number for electricity.

@ProDave - I'd rather have been paying by DD so I know it's paid and I can predict my outgoings rather than one lump sum, who pays for gas like that? Also I'm stuck on the standard tariff I assume so I'm paying more than what I should if I could get on a fix.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    Maybe it is the same account number for both fuels; I have only the one number for both.

Being charged the standard tariff rate instead of the one you would have chosen sounds like an easy problem for Eon to resolve to me. Had a similar issue once and just asked my provider to credit the difference, which they did.
    • KevBristol
    • By KevBristol 7th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    KevBristol
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    Morning all,

I have a conundrum...

I moved in to a new build property in September 2017, eON is the supplier to the property and it was all new connections.

Since then I have not had a gas account set up, nor a bill from them. They finally set up my electric account and DD in December 2017. We are now in March 2018, 6 months since I moved in and I have not paid any gas bills.

Where do I stand? The constantly ignore my emails, my calls are promised with call backs to no avail. I can't switch because I have nothing to switch from and I'm going to get hit with a huge bill when they finally set up the account.

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by simonr91
    Keeping a keen eye on this post. I'm still having a nightmare switching from British Gas Business to a domestic supplier, because the flat used to be offices and are now converted to flats.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    Unless you are switching to Eon, you won't get much help from company reps on this forum, Kev. NPower show up occasionally; never seen BG here that I recall.

Suggest you call and keep on calling... And make sure you have something to do to while away the interminable wait. Good luck.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    Unless you are switching to Eon, you won't get much help from company reps on this forum, Kev. NPower show up occasionally; never seen BG here that I recall.

Suggest you call and keep on calling... And make sure you have something to do to while away the interminable wait. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    BG has posted in the past but they were criticised, quite rightly, for posts that were wrong. As BG is under Ofgem investigation for a related matter, it is just possible that the ‘grown ups’ have put a stop to their social media posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin