Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,155Posts
    • 808Thanks
    dunroving
    Cable vs. (Free)sat?
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    Cable vs. (Free)sat? 6th Mar 18 at 9:46 AM
    Probably a dumb question, but can you get "Freesat" via cable?

Current situation: Have a Sky dish with 4 feeds, and multiple (!) terrestrial aerials. Freesat via Humax gives me 200+ channels, and Freeview gives me maybe 20 (I'm in a black hole in rural Scotland)

Have been looking at houses and many have no satellite dish. When asked, they say I can get free channels via the cable.

Questions:

Is this correct?
    If so, are these "Freeview" or "Freesat" channels?
    If "Freeview", how many channels am I likely to get? (it's in south Birmingham)

I really like my Freesat service so if cable won't give me that, I will likely just install a dish and Freesat cabling. I think the house I am purchasing is currently served by NTL.

I do not want to pay for my TV (other than my TV license, that is!)
    (Nearly) dunroving
Page 1
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    I think you would be served by Virgin Media not NTL- who are you going to use for Broadband/Phone?
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    (I'm in a black hole in rural Scotland)
    If "Freeview", how many channels am I likely to get? (it's in south Birmingham)
    Originally posted by dunroving
    You're running a very long cable from a freeview box in south Birmingham to a black hole in rural Scotland ?

I think the availabily of cable is location-specific, so you'd need to clarify where you are. I don't know if things have changed, but cable used to be available only in urban areas.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 6th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    freesat is free , freeviw is free (after you buy the needed equipment)

cable is owned by virgin , and you RENT it

it is not freecable
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    Thanks, All.

I am currently with BT for telephone line and interWeb. I currently only access Freeview (via aerial) and Freesat (via dish).

At the house I am moving to (location B45, Birmingham), they have cable but no dish. It sounds like I need to just install a dish so I can carry on as I am at my present (Scotland) house. No way am I paying for cable telly (though I'd be open to paying for cable interWeb).
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    I think you would be served by Virgin Media not NTL- who are you going to use for Broadband/Phone?
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    I think you are correct - the person doing the viewing with me looked at the box/doodad behind the telly and said it was NTL. But I just ran a search on the Rightmove ad, and it looks like Virgin media are the providers.

I will possibly just stick with BT/copper wiring as I don't really need high-speed interWeb. I get 15MB where I live and streaming access to BT Sport, Amazon Prime, iPlayer, etc. works fine.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    BT expensive, check availability of other services on the exchange that serves the new property...start here:-

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 9,381 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    I think you are correct - the person doing the viewing with me looked at the box/doodad behind the telly and said it was NTL. But I just ran a search on the Rightmove ad, and it looks like Virgin media are the providers.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    VM took over NTL and other cable operators some time back, but there's still stuff around branded with the old suppliers - I see plenty of "teleworst" about the place here in Bristol.

It used to be the case here that if you had a cable connection and then discontinued it, you'd still get the free terrestrial TV channels sent down the cable to your home. This might have ended when the terrestrial digital switchover happened though - I'm not and have never been a cable TV subscriber.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    bingo bango
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    It used to be the case here that if you had a cable connection and then discontinued it, you'd still get the free terrestrial TV channels sent down the cable to your home. This might have ended when the terrestrial digital switchover happened though - I'm not and have never been a cable TV subscriber.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Doesn't happen with VM. When you end the subscription, the signal goes completely.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    VM currently have 50meg BB, telephone and basic TV for 29 a month which is what you!!!8217;d pay for broadband only anyway.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • almillar
    • By almillar 6th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    Probably a dumb question, but can you get "Freesat" via cable?
    No - the clue's in the name - Freesat operates via satellite.
    Freeview, no subscription, operates via aerial.
    Cable, you're stuck with a Virgin subscription - there's no susbscription free option.

they say I can get free channels via the cable.
    That statement is vague at best, and they need to be more specific.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 6th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    another casualty
    I got ripped off when I got my freesat . Ok, I bought the humax freesat recorder. When I moved into my flat, there was a satellite dish and cables. I looked around for a quote to get it working from the outside . There wasn't a set fee for the 'engineer ' to fit the device onto the satellite dish and get the freesat working .
    So, partly my fault freesat wasn't free for me . Having said that, I could've went to sky ..don't like them
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 6th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    lammy82
    I got ripped off when I got my freesat . Ok, I bought the humax freesat recorder. When I moved into my flat, there was a satellite dish and cables. I looked around for a quote to get it working from the outside . There wasn't a set fee for the 'engineer ' to fit the device onto the satellite dish and get the freesat working .
    So, partly my fault freesat wasn't free for me . Having said that, I could've went to sky ..don't like them
    Originally posted by another casualty
    So there was a dish and cables but no LNB on the dish? Sounds strange - unless maybe the dish had a Sky Q non-hybrid LNB which wasn't compatible with the Humax.
    Normally, 'dish and cables' means you've got everything you need to just go ahead and plug the Humax in.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    dunroving
    So there was a dish and cables but no LNB on the dish? Sounds strange - unless maybe the dish had a Sky Q non-hybrid LNB which wasn't compatible with the Humax.
    Normally, 'dish and cables' means you've got everything you need to just go ahead and plug the Humax in.
    Originally posted by lammy82
    That's how it worked for me. I just plugged my Humax into the "Sky" cable in the living room and Hey Presto.

I subsequently decided I wanted more rooms/TVs connected to the dish and it turned out the dish had 4 LNBs and I was only using 2. The engineer ran additional cables to two other rooms , via a flat fee that I think was subsidized by the Gubmint.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 8,523 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Originally posted by another casualty
    How were you ripped off ? The Free part is about reception, the fact that there wasn't a compatible dish/lnb/cables is irrelevant, oh and the dish is a dish, and sky and freesat both work off the same satellites. I have a freeview TV but without a well aligned aerial and cable it won't work very well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,243Posts Today

8,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin