Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 35,720Posts
    • 132,372Thanks
    Pyxis
    Bill Turnbull diagnosed with prostate cancer.
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    Bill Turnbull diagnosed with prostate cancer. 6th Mar 18 at 9:28 AM

If ever there were a case for regular checks and early diagnosis, this is it.
    Poor Bill.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-43293328

The 62-year-old said it was found in November and cancer has spread to his legs, hips, pelvis and ribs.

Turnbull told Radio Times magazine he wanted to encourage people to get tested, saying: "Maybe if I'd got it earlier and stopped it at the prostate, I'd be in a much better state."

He said he had put long-term aches and pains down to "old age".
    UNQUOTE

"Prostate awareness dangerously low in British men".......

This article gives more explanation about prostate cancer, signs and symptoms and checking yourself.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36105272

How to check.........

https://m.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Prostate
    Last edited by Pyxis; 06-03-2018 at 9:34 AM.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
Page 1
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 6th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    DesertWind
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    I read that. Very sad news.
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 6th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    DesertWind
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    Stephen Fry has it as well, although he had an operation at the end of last year.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 6th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 19,587 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    Very sad as I think Bill Turnbull is a good egg! I think that he must have seen the signs but either chose to ignore them or did not get 2 + 2 = 4

My father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 5.5 years ago at the age of 76. He ignored some signs because he was too embarrassed to go to the Quacks. They found it when testing for something else. He was treated without surgery and is still around.

It got me thinking about it and was checked at the time. I found the only problem was the procedure by the doctor which was a bit uncomfortable.

A month ago at the age of 53 after looking at symptoms I was experiencing I went back again and they found that my Prostate is enlarged. Thankfully not cancer but it explains the symptoms. Taking tablets to reduce the size of Prostate now.

People need to look at the list of possible symptoms and think does it effect me? Do not be scared of going to get it checked out! Better to rule it out than to ignore possible symptoms.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    Very sad as I think Bill Turnbull is a good egg! I think that he must have seen the signs but either chose to ignore them or did not get 2 + 2 = 4

My father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 5.5 years ago at the age of 76. He ignored some signs because he was too embarrassed to go to the Quacks. They found it when testing for something else. He was treated without surgery and is still around.

It got me thinking about it and was checked at the time. I found the only problem was the procedure by the doctor which was a bit uncomfortable.

A month ago at the age of 53 after looking at symptoms I was experiencing I went back again and they found that my Prostate is enlarged. Thankfully not cancer but it explains the symptoms. Taking tablets to reduce the size of Prostate now.

People need to look at the list of possible symptoms and think does it effect me? Do not be scared of going to get it checked out! Better to rule it out than to ignore possible symptoms.
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    This is so true.

If caught early, it can be treated very well and has an excellent prognosis.

There is a blood test, but I believe there are lots and lots of variables associated with its results, as those results can be affected by other factors.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 19,087 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    The problem is that people don't know what the symptoms are.
    I am not sure what the solution is but I guess that getting the symptoms out there would be the first step.

Do people get invited to screening? Or not? I know if I was invited to a screening I would go!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    The problem is that people don't know what the symptoms are.
    I am not sure what the solution is but I guess that getting the symptoms out there would be the first step.

Do people get invited to screening? Or not? I know if I was invited to a screening I would go!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I'm not sure that there is an adequate screen available yet.

The blood test is good, but as said earlier, is subject to lots of variables.

This quote explains why there is no current screening programme........

Routinely screening all men to check their prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels is a controversial subject in the international medical community.

There are several reasons for this:

#PSA tests are unreliable and can suggest prostate cancer when no cancer exists (a false-positive result). This means that many men often have invasive and sometimes painful biopsies for no reason. Also, up to 15% of men with prostate cancer have normal PSA levels (a false-negative result), so many cases may be missed.

#The PSA test can find aggressive prostate cancer that needs treatment, but it can also find slow-growing cancer that may never cause symptoms or shorten life. Some men may therefore face difficult decisions about treatment.

#Treating prostate cancer in its early stages can be beneficial in some cases. But the side effects of the various treatments are potentially so serious that men may choose to delay treatment until it is absolutely necessary.

#Although screening has been shown to reduce a man's chance of dying from prostate cancer, it would mean many men receive treatment unnecessarily.

#More research is needed to determine whether a screening programme would provide men with more benefit than harm.
    UNQUOTE
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 19,087 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    I'm not sure that there is an adequate screen available yet.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    So they need to find a way to get the symptoms out there better then. So many different bits of my body hurt that I would take notice of some if they seemed linked to something serious
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 35,720 Posts
    • 132,372 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    The symptoms are publicised.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36105272

Common ones are here........

Note any symptoms associated with your urinary system. Problems associated with your bladder, urethra, and penis can all potentially have ties to prostate problems. Due to the proximity of the prostate to these systems it can grow and press against them causing dysfunction. With prostate issues you may experience the following:[3]

Slow or weak urine streams
    Difficulty urinating
    Frequent urination at night
    Burning urination
    Blood in your urine
    Difficulty getting an erection
    Painful ejaculation
    Lower back pain
    UNQUOTE

The thing is that these symptoms can be due to other things, not just an enlarged prostate, and an enlarged prostate isn't necessarily due to cancer.

(More info here on Benign Prostate Enlargement......)

https://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/encyclopaedia/p/article/prostateenlargement/
    Last edited by Pyxis; 06-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 6th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius
    I think it's just one of those things where a blame culture doesn't help, be it self blame or pointing the finger at others. We have a very, very imperfect healthcare system in this country, where people are struggling to get doctors appointments, referral letters go missing etc etc. (Not that this would apply to Bill Turnbull, I suppose he would have the funds to go private.)
    • colinw
    • By colinw 6th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 52,061 Posts
    • 144,194 Thanks
    colinw
    That is sad I like him
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Brother was found to have prostrate cancer but it was caught and treated, he had more bother with the cemo than anything else but seems OK now.

I do the bowel cancer screening test every 2 years and if there was a similar test for any other common cancers I would certainly take part otherwise I just tend to wait for symptoms to appear
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.6
    Total so far - 1833.8
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 9th Mar 18, 1:14 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    I only found out about this after watching the Stand up to cancer celebrity bake off. It's so sad & he seems like a lovely family man.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,361Users online

Martin's Twitter