Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 23Thanks
    wildcath_20
    2 debt on Post office credit Card - help
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    2 debt on Post office credit Card - help 6th Mar 18 at 9:08 AM
    Hi,

I am about to phone the post office credit card customer service regarding a debt on the card.

Basically I checked my credit report to find they have entered a late payment mark against my record. I have moved address twice since I had this card and I didn't even know the card was still open.

The credit report shows a 2 purchase which after 6 months of late payment charges is now 82. Then the report shows the debt going to zero 3 months ago (I am guessing they have sold the debt to an agency).

I am guessing letters may have been going to my old address and I can't access my online account as they changed the system a while back.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated. I think the best plan is to explain to the post office that I have moved address and have no idea what the charge on the card is. My question is can they really turn a 2 debt to 82 within 6 months or is this a case of unfair penalty charges?

Guessing it will be very difficult to get this removed from my credit record.

Need to ensure old cards are closed!!

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    Did they have any idea that you moved address twice?
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    The Ts&Cs of the card would have advised that it's your duty to update your address promptly. There's nothing improper about late payment fees where bills haven't been issued correctly and not paid on time.

Do they have an up to date phone number of yours or email? As a silly 19 year-old I used to frequently let my payment date go by and my card issuer (Natwest) would ring and advise that I could sort it now and avoid fees. I presume that is not a service they have to offer, but I'm surprised they'd let a debt go bad without trying to contact you via any means.

Let us know what the charge was. If it is something legitimate, you are essentially relying on whatever goodwill you can extract from them to get it sorted. If it is something illegitimate... well I don't really know. Your card issuer (Bank of Ireland) should have made reasonable efforts to contact you, I would say that writing alone probably isn't sufficient but I could be wrong on that, unless those were the only details they had.

Either way they will have more answers than we will.
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 6th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    They wouldn't of been informed I moved address as I forgot the credit card existed - which I realise is my fault. I will ask them however what other contact details they had for me. If they had my phone number which I am sure they did then I would argue it would have been reasonable for them to ring me. Thanks
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    The credit report shows a 2 purchase which after 6 months of late payment charges is now 82. Then the report shows the debt going to zero 3 months ago (I am guessing they have sold the debt to an agency).
    Originally posted by wildcath_20
    This is very interesting. I am trying to help a friend of mine to improve her credit history and her credit report also shows an underpayment of 2 which she fortunately noticed only 2 months later so it didn't rocket.

I described the case in another thread here.

I am now wondering if 2 is some magic amount?

As the minimum payment is 5 the late payment has a negative impact on the history so I would like to get to the bottom of this.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    They wouldn't of been informed I moved address as I forgot the credit card existed - which I realise is my fault. I will ask them however what other contact details they had for me. If they had my phone number which I am sure they did then I would argue it would have been reasonable for them to ring me. Thanks
    It's also reasonable for you to update them as well
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    I would argue
    I would suggest graceful apology and polite request for multiple fee reimbursement from a position of genuine humility would achieve more than arguing anything.
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    I would suggest graceful apology and polite request for multiple fee reimbursement from a position of genuine humility would achieve more than arguing anything.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I agree Thank you
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 6th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    It's also reasonable for you to update them as well
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I have held many credit cards over many years and until now have never missed a payment. I moved house and forgot about one card which then suddenly had a charge on which I don't even recognize. I don't think I will beat myself up too much about it. However the Post office knew about the charge so I think its reasonable for them to try my mobile number. Or even more reasonable is not to escalate 2 to 82 but hey they have to make money somehow.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Mar 18, 5:14 AM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The credit report will not show a 2 purchase. It will show that a balance of 2 (which could be anything from 1.01 upwards rounded up to 2) existed on the card in the month in question.
    If you forget that the card existed then how did this balance appear? If you know it was a purchase then you must have made it.
    Nor will the credit report show late payment charges as such; it will simply show the balance increasing each month and a late payment marker.
    If the balance has been cleared and the debt sold as you believe then the status of the account must now be default. Not a late payment marker against the account as you say.
    In answer to your last paragraph. there is no actual evidence to suggest that these are all late payment charges. You are assuming things that cannot be evident from the information contained on your credit report. If the card was used once then perhaps it could have been used again? If the card is in your possession suggest you think very carefully if you used it or have some regular payment set up on it etc.
    It is irresponsible to change your address and not inform the issuers of your credit cards. You should also set up a direct debit for at least the minimum payment to avoid situations such as this
    Last edited by Ben8282; 07-03-2018 at 5:19 AM.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 7th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I think this is great advice. However I'd be far more worried about the impact of this on my credit file than the 82. Have they registered a default? If so I would write a contrite letter pleading for it to be removed given that the debt was originally only 2.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    chattychappy
    There's nothing improper about late payment fees where bills haven't been issued correctly and not paid on time.
    Originally posted by WillPS
    I agree with the advice given, but by way of a footnote, the above is not necessarily true.

Penalty fees should not exceed the cost of the breach to the injured party. 12 has become a defacto standard because the OFT (the then regulator) said it would presume a charge above this level would be unfair. But it also said that a fee of more than 12 might be OK and a fee of less than 12 could be unlawful - it depends on circumstances. Despite saying that 12 should be a one-size-fits-all, it has become standard.

I would keep it friendly with the CC. But if this fails, then I would then challenge the CC to show how the charges imposed reflect the costs incurred by them. Eg how many calls did they try to make? How many letters did they send? There is also an issue of fairness and proportionality given the original balance of 2.

As we should all know by now, just because something is written in the T+Cs doesn't make it enforceable.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 7th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    As a follow-up I am wondering if it is possible to get CC statements a few years after the account was closed?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 16,868 Posts
    • 17,894 Thanks
    zx81
    If they still have them. But it can be expensive.

Depending on what you want, a SAR would be the cheaper way to go. And even cheaper after 25 May.
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 7th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    The credit report will not show a 2 purchase. It will show that a balance of 2 (which could be anything from 1.01 upwards rounded up to 2) existed on the card in the month in question.
    If you forget that the card existed then how did this balance appear? If you know it was a purchase then you must have made it.
    Nor will the credit report show late payment charges as such; it will simply show the balance increasing each month and a late payment marker.
    If the balance has been cleared and the debt sold as you believe then the status of the account must now be default. Not a late payment marker against the account as you say.
    In answer to your last paragraph. there is no actual evidence to suggest that these are all late payment charges. You are assuming things that cannot be evident from the information contained on your credit report. If the card was used once then perhaps it could have been used again? If the card is in your possession suggest you think very carefully if you used it or have some regular payment set up on it etc.
    It is irresponsible to change your address and not inform the issuers of your credit cards. You should also set up a direct debit for at least the minimum payment to avoid situations such as this
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Address now changed and new card in the post - once I get this I can actually access my online account and find out what activity has happened because as far as i know I haven't used the card. A direct debit was set up however this was on an old closed bank account. Anyway the past is the past.

I was going to question the activity when I changed my address but the customer service team there could barely do that so will wait until I have my new card and go from there.

Strange that you say the late payment charges wouldn't appear as the 12 increase every month seems to be that but again I will find out in the coming days.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 7th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    nic_c
    The increase in cost could be fees incurred as part of recovery. Often once a debt has been unpaid for 6 months they will mark it as default after which they may employ a DCA to seek to recoup the debt, which costs and this is added to the balance. Though surprised if this is the route if the balance was really 2
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 9th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    Ok so I now have access to my online account. The 2 was a bit of a red herring as that has actually been sitting on the credit card for a couple of years and because its below 5 I am guessing they don't ask for payment nor charge interest.

The issue started in April 2017 when a new 6 charge hit the account - whether this was a fraudulent transaction is yet to discovered as I need to check with the additional cardholder who is currently abroad. Anyway so since April until October I was being charged 12 per month as a late payment fee plus some small amounts of interest. Then in November there is a transaction crediting the account writing of the 82 entirely. This shows on my account as "Small Balance Write Off". This surprised me and makes me think that they probably haven't sold the debt to a debt collector after all.

Anyway next step is to firstly establish whether the 6 was fraudulent (I doubt it) and if so I could submit a SAR and then seek the removal of the late markers on my report. If not fraudulent I will write a letter apologizing for my error, establishing whether the debt is now clear and then move on I guess. I would like in an ideal world for the hiccup to be on my credit report but that's the way it goes I suppose. They did have my mobile number so I could argue that route but not sure if I would get anywhere.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Mar 18, 6:59 AM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Ok so I now have access to my online account. The 2 was a bit of a red herring as that has actually been sitting on the credit card for a couple of years and because its below 5 I am guessing they don't ask for payment nor charge interest. Never heard of such a thing. If there is a debit balance a statement will be issued and if you have a direct debit set up the money taken. Otherwise interest would be charged and a late payment marker would appear.

The issue started in April 2017 when a new 6 charge hit the account - whether this was a fraudulent transaction is yet to discovered as I need to check with the additional cardholder who is currently abroad. Ah .. so now there is an additional cardholder who could have used the card. Did you not think to ask them if they had used it before you started your other assumptions.

Anyway so since April until October I was being charged 12 per month as a late payment fee plus some small amounts of interest. Then in November there is a transaction crediting the account writing of the 82 entirely. This shows on my account as "Small Balance Write Off". This surprised me and makes me think that they probably haven't sold the debt to a debt collector after all.

Anyway next step is to firstly establish whether the 6 was fraudulent (I doubt it) and if so I could submit a SAR and then seek the removal of the late markers on my report. If not fraudulent I will write a letter apologizing for my error, establishing whether the debt is now clear and then move on I guess. I would like in an ideal world for the hiccup to be on my credit report but that's the way it goes I suppose. They did have my mobile number so I could argue that route but not sure if I would get anywhere.

All very odd And you still don't explain where the original 2 came from or why you did not pay it at the time.
    How come you didn't have access to online banking before? Why did you have to ask for a replacement card and wait until the replacement card arrived before you could get access? No sense..
    It almost defies belief that with the months of late payment markers and the 82 write off that the account is not defaulted and that they actually agreed to issue a replacement card.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 10-03-2018 at 7:07 AM.
    • wildcath_20
    • By wildcath_20 12th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wildcath_20
    All very odd And you still don't explain where the original 2 came from or why you did not pay it at the time. This was a genuine transaction made in 2015 and for some strange reason it was not paid off despite there being a direct debit in place at the time. Its like they have some weird policy where they don't action any account with a balance less than 5 - maybe this saves admin costs,
    How come you didn't have access to online banking before? Why did you have to ask for a replacement card and wait until the replacement card arrived before you could get access? No sense.. I had the old expired card but the new one was sent to my old address and the post office had changed their online banking system which required cardholders to re-register with their new cards.
    It almost defies belief that with the months of late payment markers and the 82 write off that the account is not defaulted and that they actually agreed to issue a replacement card.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I fully agree - I was shocked that in the 30+ minutes I was on the phone to them to change my address (they were not the brightest bunch) that they didn't mention anything.

I am writing a letter to them now to firstly establish whether they did sell the debt. Then I have asked them to investigate the unknown 6 transaction which has caused this all to occur. Fingers crossed this might result in the late payment marker being removed but I can only hope. If not then I suppose I am only to blame.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

897Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin