Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cbear214
    • By cbear214 6th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cbear214
    Wages not being paid? Please help!
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    Wages not being paid? Please help! 6th Mar 18 at 9:06 AM
    Not sure if this is the correct thread but it seems the most accurate

I started work on the 21st of January, working full time for an ex-colleague of my mothers doing kitchen porter duties. On the 8th of February, I was let go mainly because I'd been a little late on a few occasions due to different factors and had to take 2 days off due to illness (one due to being unable to get out of bed due to an extremely bad cold - head chef tried sending me home the day prior but I stayed mainly because I felt I could manage albeit slowly, and the other due to a pre-existing condition he was aware of). I was given at the most 2 very casual warnings (ie asked why i was late and asked to try and not let it happen much more, though he was fine with me being a little late here and there and if things were out of my control which when I was late, it was due to both being in and completly out of my control) and one text message explaining if i was late after being ill (when i was ill due to a pre-exsisting pain condition) I would be replaced/fired. I believe I was around 2 minutes away when I was told not to bother to come in. He was aware I was on my way. but i digress.

Fast forward to now, I have not been paid for the days I did work, nor have I had any correspondence with the head chef since the 8th February. I was meant to be paid on the 5th February for one day (due to where their cut off point is) and the rest of the months wage in the following 5th. Obviously, I didn't work the full month but I did work over 8 hours every day I was there (making up for any lateness by staying later I was routered in for and even skipping my breaks because of how guilty and upset I felt about it. I just assumed the payment on the 5th was perhaps witheld because of it being pointless to pay me for one day rather than them being unwilling to pay me, but right now it seems like the latter.

I have no idea how to handle the situation at all. I suffer with severe anxiety so going into the kitchen and speaking with him just makes me feel extreamly anxious, but the situation needs sorting asap. They do have my bank details, which are all (to my knowledge) all correct as well as my email address and phone number if there was any sort of issue with it. They also have my NI number and any other relevant information needed, so I can't see it being an issue with that itself, but i cant 100% rule it out.

This job was my 1st job (mainly due to my levels of anxiety as well as pre-existing physical conditions and it was only taken because my esa had been stopped, we were struggling for money, and the head chef knew my situation and was apparently going to be understanding and accommodating (which, although I haven't explained in here, this was not the case)

What would be the best way to handle the wage situation? Would it just be messaging him politely to see if he could possibly answer as to why I haven't been paid? Or would it be best biting the bullet so to speak and making a more formal visit to the kitchen? Should I contact the bank and make sure at least on their end they haven't blocked any form of payment? (I doubt this WOULD happen but is it worth checking to make sure?)
Page 1
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 6th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    It sounds like you've had a bit of a rough experience. Don't worry, not all employers will be quite so harsh, and you really don't want to be involved with the ones that are!!

There's probably not a whole lot you can do about being dismissed as presumably you were on your probationary period. Banks wouldn't have blocked your payment, I wouldn't get them involved.

If I were you I'd ask your local Citizens Advice or Law Centre for help. In all likelihood, they will make contact with your former employer, who will then see that you are serious and will pay up. If not, they will assist you with taking your former employer to court for non-payment of wages. You're entitled to every penny you earned up to the moment you were dismissed.

They can also advise you with regards to your benefits to see if there's any mileage in getting any of those reinstated.
    • cbear214
    • By cbear214 6th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cbear214
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    It sounds like you've had a bit of a rough experience
    Just slightly, but I agree the dismissal was the best decision anyway because of the impact the job was having on my body. I was going in that day to speak to the head chef about reducing my hours because I was struggling daily with everything.

I'll definitely get in contact with them. Hopefully, it all gets sorted out rather fast and in a civil manner because the last thing I'd want is for it to end up having to go to court (but of course, if it comes to that then I'll have no other choice) And hopefully they can give some advice regarding benefits because the entire household is struggling greatly.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 7th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    Newly retired
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    I would try writing a formal letter, pen and paper, particularly as you are very capable of good English.
    Donít be emotional or give explanations, just state clearly the days and hours you worked and how much you are owed, though maybe tax and NI will be deducted.
    How long since your ESA stopped? Have you asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration? Or have you claimed JSA?
    It is not clear what your family situation is but if you are on Tax Credits, have you kept HMRC informed of your change of circumstances?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,100Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin