Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fendertele
    • By fendertele 6th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fendertele
    scottish power meter reading message.
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    scottish power meter reading message. 6th Mar 18 at 7:29 AM
    They estimated around 300 for the quarterly bill but when I put the actual readings in, I got the message are you sure this is right as it seems abnormally high... when I went to see the actual bill it hasn't been updated.

I live in a one room apartment on my own, I work 5/6 days a week night shift.

I use very little in terms of white goods.... fridge is on constant, rarely cook and order takeaways, shower daily, occasional microwave useage, washing machine twice a week, pc on 24/7

the only thing I've been using more is the electric wall heater in the kitchen... the flat has immersion heaters in every other room and I've never bothered to figure out how they work... so I just turn the one heater on in the kitchen it's a dimplex panel heater.

I turn it on when I get in from work usually 6am and leave it on till I go out to work 8pm...

and only been doing so in the last month or so with the snow/freezing weather....

So i'm guessing this heater im using is adding hundreds to my bill ?

If it is abnormally higher than their estimate i'm guessing im going to be closer and maybe more than 500?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    If you are not already doing so do you own calculations.

Your actual consumption x p/kwh ; number of days x standing charge; all plus VAT at 5%
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM

the only thing I've been using more is the electric wall heater in the kitchen... the flat has immersion heaters in every other room and I've never bothered to figure out how they work... so I just turn the one heater on in the kitchen it's a dimplex panel heater.

I presume you mean electric storage heaters.

I turn it on when I get in from work usually 6am and leave it on till I go out to work 8pm...

So on for 14 hours, mostly on dearer rate.
    Originally posted by fendertele
    Do you have economy7/E7, if so, as you work nights, you should be using the storage heater in your main living room, at least.

It stores up the heat overnight at the cheap rate and gives out the heat during the day, so when you get home in the morning will be at the warmest.

Here's a wee video on how to operate them.
    Y'all take care now.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    They estimated around 300 for the quarterly bill but when I put the actual readings in, I got the message are you sure this is right as it seems abnormally high... when I went to see the actual bill it hasn't been updated.
    Originally posted by fendertele
    What is that current reading? And last reading you provided (and date)?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • fendertele
    • By fendertele 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fendertele
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    I tried having a look for the previous reading to show with my current reading but once I updated it, the new reading became the current reading and couldn't see what it previously was.

from what I can remember the top reading was more than estimated, but the lower one was less than estimated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin