Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blondnc
    • By blondnc 6th Mar 18, 2:50 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 10Thanks
    blondnc
    Ex won’t leave joint account
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:50 AM
    Ex won’t leave joint account 6th Mar 18 at 2:50 AM
    I still have a joint account with my ex. When I have asked for him to come into branch to sign to remove his name he just ignores my messages.

He never has, nor do I think he will take any money. I am the only one who pays into it, and all the bills are mine so he has no claim (as I understood).

I just want to get rid of any connection. Especially where his name is showing on my credit history etc.

Do I have any legal standing? The Halifax insists we both need to be in branch to sign.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 6th Mar 18, 4:01 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 AM
    Will Halifax give you the form to take away for your ex to sign?
    I believe Halifax will block the account if you tell them you are in dispute or if the account is in credit I believe you alone can close the account.
    Both a pain but they may be your only options.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Mar 18, 5:42 AM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 AM
    Set up a new account and start using that account instead, a temporary solution until you can sort the other out.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 20,042 Posts
    • 53,765 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    I was in a similar situation many years ago.
    My bank refused to make our old current account into just my name.
    I told them I'd open a new account in my name only, transfer all the standing orders, take out everything but a penny and leave them to keep the account open.

It didn't take them long to decide to take my ex's name off the account.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 6,400 Posts
    • 13,162 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    Try Pollycats suggestion and be prepared to switch everything. No way would I operate an account with an ex still named on it.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10,525 Posts
    • 13,689 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    They let me close mine which was a joint account - was 5 years ago so maybe they've changed their policies.

I'm with the others - definitely don't still use the account. Do as Pollycat did. He'll be affecting your credit record - and maybe still 'stalking' your account which would make me feel a tad weird.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 6th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    Account
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    You can't control his actions but you can control yours. You leave the joint account,taking any direct debits with you. If you're savvy get paid to move accounts. I recently moved to First Direct and received Ł125 a while later.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 29,250 Posts
    • 74,713 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    He never has, nor do I think he will take any money.

I am the only one who pays into it, and all the bills are mine so he has no claim (as I understood).
    Originally posted by blondnc
    You leave the joint account, taking any direct debits with you.
    Originally posted by suejb2
    I can't understand why you're still paying money into a joint account!

Just because he hasn't taken any money out of it up to now doesn't mean that he won't in the future - it's a joint account so both of you own whatever is in it.

Follow suejb's advice.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 24,011 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    You can't control his actions but you can control yours. You leave the joint account,taking any direct debits with you. If you're savvy get paid to move accounts. I recently moved to First Direct and received Ł125 a while later.
    I'm thinking that attempting to get a transfer bonus will most likely just move the problem to the new bank as surely they won't let you open a single account holder name when the previous one was joint.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    No switching bonus I'm afraid in this instance:

"HOWEVER YOU CAN'T SWITCH WITH:

- A joint account without the permission of both parties"

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/howtoswitch/Pages/how.aspx#howToSwitchPersonal
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 6th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    You're taking quite a risk by still paying money into the joint account. You never know what might happen. It's not a permanent solution, but a sole account would be an interim solution, but you do still need to separate yourself from your ex, financially speaking. Someone else might know if this has changed, but you used to be able to write to the credit reference agencies and request a notice of dis-association in situations like this, to make any lender viewing the credit record on behalf of either party, knows there is no financial leak. As I say, though, this may have changed altogether since.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 18,374 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    They let me close mine which was a joint account - was 5 years ago so maybe they've changed their policies.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Same here. We had been divorced 10 years though.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    I still have a joint account with my ex. When I have asked for him to come into branch to sign to remove his name he just ignores my messages.

He never has, nor do I think he will take any money. I am the only one who pays into it, and all the bills are mine so he has no claim (as I understood).

I just want to get rid of any connection. Especially where his name is showing on my credit history etc.

Do I have any legal standing? The Halifax insists we both need to be in branch to sign.
    Originally posted by blondnc
    Why not just stop using it?

Assuming it has no credit facility it will become dormant
    • sulkisu
    • By sulkisu 6th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 4,788 Thanks
    sulkisu
    Stop using it. It is a joint account - he can legally take every penny in there, the fact that he hasn't put anything into it is irrelevant.
    • Happier Me
    • By Happier Me 6th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    Happier Me
    I would follow Pollycat's suggestion: new account, transfer all activity, and leave nothing in the joint account. I'd then ask to have your name removed from the joint account, leaving it your ex's name only. Will your bank agree to this?
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 7th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    steph2901
    I would open a new account in just your name and ask to be taken off the joint one.

When I divorced my ex, that's what I did. I didn't want to pay into an account he had access to, and I'm sure he felt the same!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 8,027 Posts
    • 28,098 Thanks
    Primrose
    As others have suggested, open a new account in your name only and pay all future income and standing orders from the single named account. Also transfer all the money from the joint account into your own name. I would then write formally to the bank so you have a written record, and tell the bank to treat it as an account in dispute.

This is important because there is nothing to stop your ex, if he wanted to be difficult to start drawing money from the account and putting it into a massive overdraft situation for which you would be responsible if it is still in joint name.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 9th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Sparx
    Ditto the above - much easier way to deal with things! If Halifax will not remove your ex then look to move yourself instead.

Setup your own sole bank account elsewhere (or another with Halifax) - make sure you move all your DDs over, tell your friends/family your new bank details - especially your Employer for payroll!

Then once you're happy, go back to Halifax and ask to be removed yourself - leaving the account in just your ex's name with Ł0 in it.
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 10th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nwc389
    I used to work for them , they won’t remove a name without BOTH signatures however either party can close the account.
    My advice is open an account in your own name , move all your credits and payments over and finally close the account ( don’t over complicate things by mentioning why)
    I’ve seen so much trouble caused over the years by situations like this - honestly it’s so much better to sort things out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

411Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin