Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Soph0411
    • By Soph0411 5th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Soph0411
    0 WOW
    Travel or get a house? Or both!
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel or get a house? Or both! 5th Mar 18 at 11:07 PM
    Hi everyone

This is my first post so I知 hoping I致e done it correctly! Basically I could do with some advice! My boyfriend of 3.5 years and I are currently renting a flat that we love! Amazing location, decent price and we have been really happy here. However, we are both feeling a bit stuck at a crossroads I. Terms of our futures. I would love to travel and see more of the world, however he is more focused on getting on to the property ladder ect. Neither of us have great paying jobs, I知 in admin and he is a postman, so our struggle is how do we save money for travelling, and a deposit, and still rent out a place? Is this even doable? I am 24 this year and I知 starting to worry that I知 going to be 25 soon and feel like I致e not achieved much !!!128532; we have discussed compromising and saving for trips away but also a house but I guess I worry I知 going to regret not travelling properly? We have done a month In Europe but I feel there is so much more to see! But I also know how much importance is placed on getting on the property ladder young ect!

Any help or advice will be greatly welcomed!

Thank you
    X
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 31,705 Posts
    • 19,995 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    Both of your incomes should be enough for a mortgage, depends on high your expectations are for a property and a mortgage.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 6th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    We've compromised. We have a smaller house in a cheaper location which leaves us with enough money to save to travel. I also love the challenge of hunting down bargain flights and hotels.

You've got plenty to time ahead of you. I didn't get on the property ladder until my early thirties.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 9,155 Posts
    • 14,114 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    Sooner you buy a house, sooner you pay it off. By the time you have paid off your mortgage you'll be earning far more than you do now which will give you greater opertunity and flexibility to travel.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • LUHG1878
    • By LUHG1878 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    LUHG1878
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    Is buying your flat an option? If you both like the property and the area, and it suits your lifestyle now, then that may be a good option. It may also be cheaper than moving as you are settled, moving will entail costs that could be spent on travelling!

One thing that worked for us, we opened a savings account and we pay in 」100 every month when we get paid, this is our holiday fund. We don't miss the money, as we're used to it coming out each month, and ok we may have to add more to get the holiday we want, but it takes the sting out of it.

And, like StaffieTerrier, we enjoy looking for deals on flights and accommodation, researching the location and activities etc, it's all part of the excitement of going on holiday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin