Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RogerWilco
    • By RogerWilco 5th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RogerWilco
    Owed wages and holiday pay from an ex-employer.
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    Owed wages and holiday pay from an ex-employer. 5th Mar 18 at 10:51 PM
    Hello.
    I left a job after 6 months last summer due to really horrible and upsetting working conditions. It made me very ill being there when I broke down in tears, the manger told me to go home for the day and think about if I really wanted to be there. I rang in sick the next day then, a few days later told them I was handing in my notice. The manager told me not to bother with notice because it was obvious I didn't fit in.

The thing is, I never received my final pay check for 3 days work or the the 3 days holiday pay I was owed.

I bumped into one of my former work colleagues at the weekend and we had a little catch up. He said he'd keep in touch and he also passed on my regards to the 2 other ladies I worked with. They both messaged me on FB and one of them reminded me how badly I'd been treated. (she also left the company due to stress and ill health)

My question is 'Can I still contact the boss and ask for my final pay?'
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 31,690 Posts
    • 19,986 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    Hello.
    I left a job after 6 months last summer due to really horrible and upsetting working conditions. It made me very ill being there when I broke down in tears, the manger told me to go home for the day and think about if I really wanted to be there. I rang in sick the next day then, a few days later told them I was handing in my notice. The manager told me not to bother with notice because it was obvious I didn't fit in.

The thing is, I never received my final pay check for 3 days work or the the 3 days holiday pay I was owed.

I bumped into one of my former work colleagues at the weekend and we had a little catch up. He said he'd keep in touch and he also passed on my regards to the 2 other ladies I worked with. They both messaged me on FB and one of them reminded me how badly I'd been treated. (she also left the company due to stress and ill health)

My question is 'Can I still contact the boss and ask for my final pay?'
    Originally posted by RogerWilco
    What was so bad ?

What have you tried since last summer ?

Was it a big employer as in a national firm ?

You should have sorted this nearer the time.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • RogerWilco
    • By RogerWilco 5th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RogerWilco
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    It was a small company - just 5 employees. I didn't do the job I applied for and the manager made up new rules all the time. I didn't have a contract to refer to. She made comments like' last in /first out when orders were low and kept saying that if anyone didn't like it, they could find another job - this was in reference to having to use a compression sealer that was broken. When I asked for help moving heavy boxes (over 50kg) she made fun of my physical strength telling me to put my back into it. I ended up hurting my shoulder and foot.

I was so upset by her undermining me that I tried to talk to her about it - and the owners of the business but she had already told them that I was useless and not part of the team.

I didn't do anything at the time because I just wanted to get as far away from there as possible.

I had to have a steroid injection in my shoulder but I quickly found another job and was much happier.

I have since found out she left. I didn't think the other staff would back me up but they were as miserable as me. Apparently she told the owners that it was another member of staff who had upset me and that was why I left ,and she was worried I would sue over my shoulder. That never entered my head. Maybe it was bumping into my ex-colleague that has brought this all up. I did the work and earned the holiday pay. Is it worth a try?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 6th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    Do you have any of this in writing?

Holiday pay can be retained in events notice isn't worked.

I was with a company for about 5 weeks getting on for end of last year who made it clear I wasn't really working out in so many ways to the point one day I said enough and walked. Just getting out of the place was reward enough and 48 hours later they became a distant memory sure enough and I was fortunately able to move on far quicker - one of a few places I actually don't think of and wouldn't like to. I even deliberately wouldn't work in same town as that avoided bumping into anybody. Although granted it's a small world and you never can tell when someone shall pop up in your future and what trouble that then may bring!

Their final pay slip had holiday deductions made over what should have been notice worked. It left me with something but definitely deductions for holiday from what they could take.

I think you might be out of time and best moving on with the real hope of a reference should it ever be needed because 6 months somewhere may still have meant something.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • RogerWilco
    • By RogerWilco 6th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RogerWilco
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    Thank you - you might be right! Itj ust brought it all back.It was humiliating working with a woman like that. I'm remembering how she refered to men as pieces of meat and oogled the delivery men. She had a one track mind The way she spoke would have been unacceptable if she were the opposite sex talking about women in this way.

I am a lot happier now. Just a blip on the old CV.!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    You have 6 years to claim money owed (so wages, or holiday time) you are out of time for most employment rights claims.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin