Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kamil089
    • By kamil089 5th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kamil089
    MOT fail... help
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    MOT fail... help 5th Mar 18 at 10:15 PM
    Hello i have put my car for mot and it failed due to:
    -brake pads less than 1.5 mm
    -front suspension has excessive movement at a wishbone pin
    -shock absorber has a serious leak
    -parking brake efficiency below requirment
    -rear brake recording little to no effort

I was quoted 530£ to do the work... is that correct or? pls help
Page 1
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 5th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    Dude, if itís a Ferrari 458 itís a blinding deal.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 5th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    Well I didn't think brake pads were part of the test so long as the brakes work to the required standard. But there is a section which is basically a free for all for the MoT tester i.e. anything he considers dangerous so maybe pad thickness comes under that. Can't even see the pads on my cars unless you remove the wheels.

You could fix that all yourself for around £70 if you know how. £530 seems excessive; I bet it was a quick-fit type place?
    • kamil089
    • By kamil089 5th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kamil089
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    lol my bad... its a mercedes clk
    • kamil089
    • By kamil089 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kamil089
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    Well I didn't think brake pads were part of the test so long as the brakes work to the required standard. But there is a section which is basically a free for all for the MoT tester i.e. anything he considers dangerous so maybe pad thickness comes under that. Can't even see the pads on my cars unless you remove the wheels.

You could fix that all yourself for around £70 if you know how. £530 seems excessive; I bet it was a quick-fit type place?
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    no, it was a small garage... my parents took 5 cars there and all passed... jso im not sure
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 5th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    Oh well if you got a merc you can afford the repairs right?
    • kamil089
    • By kamil089 5th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kamil089
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    Oh well if you got a merc you can afford the repairs right?
    not really... i have had the car for over 3 years and 40k miles and i havent spent a penny on it. just wondering if prices are correct
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 5th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 11,288 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    not really... i have had the car for over 3 years and 40k miles and i havent spent a penny on it. just wondering if prices are correct
    Originally posted by kamil089
    £530/3years =£3.39 week so not bad going really
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    Well I didn't think brake pads were part of the test so long as the brakes work to the required standard.
    Nope, RFR 3.5.1.g: "A brake lining or pad insecure or less than 1.5mm thick at any point".

There's also no "anything else dangerous" section - if it's not specifically in the manual you can't fail it.

For example, a rust hole can fail for sharp edges. Welding razor blades along the bonnet won't because sharp edges only count if caused by damage or corrosion - deliberate modification isn't mentioned!
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 6th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Joe Horner

Sounds reasonable tbh:

Set of pads (at least one axle, maybe 2), with fitting.
    Pair of shocks (to follow general recommendation of fitting in pairs), with fitting.
    Wishbone, with fitting - may overlap with one of the shocks for labour
    Investigation of parking and rear brake issues - likely to need at least one caliper and possibly handbrake cables.

Even buying the cheapest offered parts off ebay (seriously not recommended!) that's at least £195 in parts:

Pads (front) £15. (rear) £9.60
    Wishbone £25 - £100 depending on exactly what's needed
    Shocks (assuming front) £84.60
    Rear caliper £76 (half the price of a pair listed)

Which leaves £335 for labour on a set of jobs that could quite easily tie a bay up for a full day if it doesn't all go straight to plan.

Remember, out of that the garage owner has to pay the staff & the bills and might want to eat this month....
    Last edited by Joe Horner; 06-03-2018 at 12:07 AM.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13,536 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    Nothing majorly problematic there.

Wish bone 120
    Pads 20
    shock 70
    labour shouldn't be any more than 3 hours on that at 50 quid an hour.

Then hand brake. They have shoes with the disc.
    Shoes And kit 20
    labour 1.5 hours to be generous to them. 75

So 455

But that's just assuming you don't also need discs on the rear as it's shoes inside the disc setup. The garage will likely already know what the problem is anyway. Usually the adjuster.

You quote doesn't seem too far from the mark tbh.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    And here you are, needing an MOT-fail on borderline lethal brakes all-round to shake your complacency. I bet you even feel hard done-by.

People like you scare me, since I have to share the roads with you. Failure to do basic maintenance is not something to be proud of. Quite the opposite.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 6th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    You're forgetting the money you spent on having the car regularly serviced - you have had it serviced???
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You're forgetting the money you spent on having the car regularly serviced - you have had it serviced???
    Originally posted by Alfrescodave
    I admire your optimism.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tarambor

So given the state of the pads you clearly never bother to have it serviced. That is also the reason that the handbrake and rear brake has failed as well.

You need a set of pads and new rear brake caliper to sort the brakes so there's £200-£250, add another £50 or so if the rear pads need changing too. Shock absorber is going to be around £80-£150 depending if its an easily changed one on the rear or a front one or rear coilover one. No idea what car so not sure what is involved in changing the pin but it doesn't sound far off.

I would also get the thing serviced as well given it clearly hasn't been for quite some time as brake pads are an advise to change at 3mm wear when they're inspected during a service.

Just think, if you'd had it serviced those things would have come up over time so instead of getting one big bill for over half a grand you could have spread it out over time....
    Last edited by Tarambor; 06-03-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Someone else using the M.O.T. test as a substitute for proper servicing. To think we have to share the road with them.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Noree
    • By Noree 7th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Noree
    If the car has not been maintained then you don!!!8217;t deserve to be on the roads.

Service standards are much higher than an MOT.

Do your own homework and get quotes for parts then add the labour. It might then make sense to you on what is a realistic price.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 7th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    ratrace
    I think what the op means when he says he not spent a penny on his car is that he has not spent money in terms of repairs/faults and not the actual yearly servicing costs

People often say this about their cars when asked how relabile it is etc...
    ďPeople are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we areĒ

Rat Race
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I think what the op means when he says he not spent a penny on his car is that he has not spent money in terms of repairs/faults and not the actual yearly servicing costs
    Originally posted by ratrace
    Some service that hasn't even picked up on thoroughly bald brake pads and a non-functional handbrake.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 8th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Alfrescodave

People often say this about their cars when asked how relabile it is etc...
    Originally posted by ratrace
    If that were the case then I would have expected the OP to have responded with those words but instead seems not to want to continue discussing his problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin