Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CMcM81
    • By CMcM81 5th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CMcM81
    Invoice for boiler engineer
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    Invoice for boiler engineer 5th Mar 18 at 9:44 PM
    Hi there,
    My boiler broke and an engineer came out to look at it, he was unable to fix it that day and said he would get back to me. We offered him money and he said “I can’t take money because I haven’t done anything”. He text today saying he has ordered the part but not given a price or date to do the job. I have since found another engineer who can fix the problem quicker. The original engineer has now sent an invoice for £70 for the first call out charge. Where do I stand with having to now pay it? There was no mention of a call out charge at the start of it all and he declined a payment on the day.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 20,148 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    Did you really expect him to attend at your premises and not charge when you then gave the job to someone else?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 6th Mar 18, 4:11 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:11 AM
    £70 - sounds cheap.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 6th Mar 18, 7:56 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:56 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:56 AM
    £70 is a reasonable fallout fee, and I would say that it is your responsibility to ask what the service will cost if the supplier doesn't mention it.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 15,718 Posts
    • 21,593 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    Hi there,
    My boiler broke and an engineer came out to look at it, he was unable to fix it that day and said he would get back to me. We offered him money and he said “I can’t take money because I haven’t done anything”. He text today saying he has ordered the part but not given a price or date to do the job. I have since found another engineer who can fix the problem quicker. The original engineer has now sent an invoice for £70 for the first call out charge. Where do I stand with having to now pay it? There was no mention of a call out charge at the start of it all and he declined a payment on the day.
    Originally posted by CMcM81
    Engineer 1 came to look at it, ordered the part, and was planning on fixing the boiler then sending you the invoice once the job was done.

As you declined to let him finish, he is therefore only billing you for the call out charge to diagnose the problem.

Sounds fair to me.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,036 Posts
    • 30,326 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    Hi there,
    Originally posted by CMcM81
    You called him out, he said he could not fix it that day, but you engaged him to do the repair. You then got someone else to do the job, after engaging him, hence he now has given you his callout charge. next time allow him to fix it or don't engage him.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin