Architect issue with extension drawings

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    kasworld wrote: »
    Hi fezster - That is exactly the way I am feeling. He certainly did not fill me with much confidence going forward with him as he broke that trust.

It is your choice, but to re-iterate my point you are arguing over £100. If you feel strongly over this simply be business like, get firm, and refuse to pay it. Dead easy and see what happens.

However there is a flip side. You have engaged this person so it is a bit late to say you are unhappy with them. You have entertained them twice at your home, and you have progressed past the survey stage - by your own admission the work has been measured up.

To say the person has done nothing is absurd - there has been a simple survey. To say the person has not incurred any costs is absurd - there has been two visits. To say you have designed, or conceived the extension is also absurd - had you done so you would have your own drawings.

All this means if you cancel the agreement it is reasonable to expect an invoice.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Furts wrote: »
    However there is a flip side. You have engaged this person so it is a bit late to say you are unhappy with them. You have entertained them twice at your home, and you have progressed past the survey stage - by your own admission the work has been measured up.

I don't disagree with what you are saying Furts, but having been in a similar predicament myself, the question you sometimes have to ask yourself is if someone is being unethical and trying to take advantage of you, is it then unfair to treat them in the same manner. I'm not necessarily referring to the OP's architect, but just as a matter of principle, sometimes people who behave in this manner need to be made to realise their actions are not always without consequence.

In the real world, in the absence of proof of any contract and with the amount of money being discussed making court action unlikely, I'd be making this a lesson to be learned by said architect. I'd also not want to proceed with his services given his dishonesty as I wouldn't feel comfortable working with such a person.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    fezster wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what you are saying Furts, but having been in a similar predicament myself, the question you sometimes have to ask yourself is if someone is being unethical and trying to take advantage of you, is it then unfair to treat them in the same manner. I'm not necessarily referring to the OP's architect, but just as a matter of principle, sometimes people who behave in this manner need to be made to realise their actions are not always without consequence.

In the real world, in the absence of proof of any contract and with the amount of money being discussed making court action unlikely, I'd be making this a lesson to be learned by said architect. I'd also not want to proceed with his services given his dishonesty as I wouldn't feel comfortable working with such a person.

There are architectural types who are rogues - one exists not too far from my home! However we only have one side of the story. This person may be fairly genuine and we do not know how the £100 has arisen. However the stance of OP is also puzzling. Here one would say something along the lines of ... "I engaged you in writing, here is the copy, here are the terms I set, here is your confirmation, this is what was agreed..." Then "your invoice is £100 over what was agreed so I am not paying the £100. However if you can provide me with a valid reason for this in writing then I will pay it. However I am making it clear there will be no more unforeseen extra charges payable by me" Simple, job done and move on. So why are we not at this stage?

Going back to the first post OP may have made a typo. But if not then it is clear OP cannot tell a quote from an estimate. I raised this query earlier but OP has not responded to this. This is concerning and it is also a balanced approach - but integrity is also important. The architectural person should have integrity.

Equally I sense OP has not been business like, professional, and logical in their dealings with the matter. I have made observations and also used the word absurd various times.

So neither party comes out of this as squeaky clean.

OP gives no consideration to what work, and costs, the architectural person has incurred. Visits cost money - there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Added to this it is possible OP lives in a smallish community - cancel number one and one might then find the subsequent competitors have weighed up the situation and are either unavailable or now more expensive.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    there's a few issues here - firstly he's not an architect!
    I find it absolutely bizarre that he would not know how much he had quoted for a job, we issue written fee quotes with a po for the client to sign if they accept the quote - and do not undertake any work before having a written agreement signed (this comes from bitter experience!) Although I am always happy to discuss projects with potential client free of charge.
    Asking a client to remind you how much you've quoted for a job is ridiculous, surely he has written records of fees?!
    Either he has priced it wrong or is looking for ways to maximise his fee.
    If you don't employ a professional you can't expect a professional service
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Furts wrote: »
    There are architectural types who are rogues - one exists not too far from my home! However we only have one side of the story. This person may be fairly genuine and we do not know how the £100 has arisen.
    kasworld wrote: »
    I made him aware of this pricing error to which his reasoning was that the fact that we were removing the wall between the kitchen and diner and a chimney have accounted for these extra costs, even though we made him aware of this from the start and other quotes we had received from other architects included this in their price.

looks pretty straightforward where the extra is coming from...
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    In a nutshell I believe OP would be liable for the fees incurred so far for the measured survey alone if not some abortive design work if the designer has started the preliminary sketches.

I agree with R Sole, the designer does sound very unprofessional as a written fee quote, conditions of engagement and written instruction from client are very basic stuff. However I would suggest OP simply talks to the guy, no emails or texts or other modern nonsense. As Furts suggested just say the extra £100 was not in his original fee quote and when he says it is for extra work reply that the work was included in original brief (assuming you can prove it was in the brief) and therefore is not an extra. I suspect he will knock the £100 off as he doesn't really have any other option.
  • Newuser1987
    Newuser1987 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would advise anyone to ensure their architect is an Architect. As an architect we have to have an agreement in writing clearly stating a number of things including fee and brief. I also have never asked for a deposit!

I would agree a £100 isn't much, especially considering you may need to add a 0 on that to change to an architect. However as a matter of principle and signs of things to come I think you would be wise to terminate his services. He would be within his right to charge you but he would struggle to justify it if he hasnt got an agreement!
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I would advise anyone to ensure their architect is an Architect. As an architect we have to have an agreement in writing clearly stating a number of things including fee and brief. I also have never asked for a deposit!

I would agree a £100 isn't much, especially considering you may need to add a 0 on that to change to an architect. However as a matter of principle and signs of things to come I think you would be wise to terminate his services. He would be within his right to charge you but he would struggle to justify it if he hasnt got an agreement!

Just to clarify there are plenty of architectural designers who are members of other institutions that are regulated to abide by professional standards and require written instructions, professional indemnity insurance etc.

I'm not sure your final point is correct. I cannot remember the legal term but the OP has agreed the designers quote and terms by allowing them in to their home to undertake the measured survey. It is something like acceptance by actions, the OP and the designer undertook specific actions as if they had a contractual relationship, therefore a contract exists. Just saying they didn't sign anything is not enough.
  • Newuser1987
    Newuser1987 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    teneighty wrote: »
    Just to clarify there are plenty of architectural designers who are members of other institutions that are regulated to abide by professional standards and require written instructions, professional indemnity insurance etc.

I'm not sure your final point is correct. I cannot remember the legal term but the OP has agreed the designers quote and terms by allowing them in to their home to undertake the measured survey. It is something like acceptance by actions, the OP and the designer undertook specific actions as if they had a contractual relationship, therefore a contract exists. Just saying they didn't sign anything is not enough.

The three elements of a contract is offer+acceptance+consideration. The reason why I said he would struggle is because of the consideration part. It doesnt seem clear that he has set out a breakdown of his fees. Therefore it wouldnt be clear what both parties have agreed to or what the 40% deposit is exactly for.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The three elements of a contract is offer+acceptance+consideration. The reason why I said he would struggle is because of the consideration part. It doesnt seem clear that he has set out a breakdown of his fees. Therefore it wouldnt be clear what both parties have agreed to or what the 40% deposit is exactly for.

You don't need to set out a breakdown of fees for a contract to exist. The consideration is a requirement for a contract to be formed, but that can simply be party 1 saying (verbally) "I'll charge you £10".

If he turns round now and says the cost of the initial survey is £2.5k, the rest of the design work was going to be at no extra charge, then he would indeed struggle if he went to court to claim the full £2.5k - unless this was set out clearly breakdown of his fees as part of a quotation.

But if he claimed for a few hours for the initial site visits and survey and charged for those at his normal hourly charge rate, then he may have good grounds for a claim.

More importantly for the OP, people in the building industry talk to each other. If this guy is a cowboy then it doesn't matter. But if other professionals hold him in some regard (which sounds likely if he is getting lots of work) then they would approach a future client with some caution if they are aware the client asked for work to be done, changed their mind, and then refused to pay anything.

The additional costs that other architects and builders might add in to their prices as 'risk' money might make a couple of hundred quid look like small change.

If I'd decided that I really didn't want to use his services after all then I would seek to negotiate a fair value for the work that has been done to date. It could be a lot less costly than being taken to court, or being known as a client who is difficult to work with.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport