Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 5th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 352Thanks
    Poppy1984
    Cupboard & freezer staples
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    Cupboard & freezer staples 5th Mar 18 at 9:24 PM
    Hi everyone, first time started a thread (apart from my DFW diary) I'm a little nervous but here goes!

With the bad weather lately it got me thinking....

What staples do you always like to have in your cupboards and freezers so that you know you could create a meal at any given moment.

For me I like to have:
    Cupboard
    Tuna
    Pasta
    Pasta bake sachet
    Long life milk
    Corned beef
    Tinned sweetcorn
    Rice
    Beans
    Tinned tomatoes
    Passata
    Various herbs and spices
    Various sauces and vinegars

Freezer
    Value garlic bread
    Bread
    Peas
    Sweetcorn

I can usually put a meal together sometimes need to pick up the odd fresh ingredient to add too.

I'd love to hear what your staples are and what kind of meals you make with them
    19-02-18 Total Debt 4,015 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 900/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    Emergency Fund 280/300
Page 1
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    Hi Poppy

Definitely some similar things on my staples list

Cupboard:
    Tins: tomatoes, tuna, chickpeas, butterbeans, baked beans, kidney beans
    Rice/pasta (although we tend to stick with rice as we are GF and pasta is expensive!)
    Pasta sauces and pastes (e.g., curry/chilli)
    Herbs/spices/stock cubes
    Long life soya milk for me as I can't process much dairy

You've reminded me about the gorgeousness that is corned beef, so I must get some

Freezer:
    Frozen veg
    Bread
    Pizzas (in case we can't be bothered cooking one night!)
    Garlic bread (as above!)
    Chicken breasts
    Fish fillets
    Sausages
    Mince beef
    Cubed beef for casseroles

I think that covers everything
    My debt-free diary
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    Hiya!
    Ooh you've gave me some good ideas thank you!
    On the corned beef I have just prepped a corned beef hash in the slow cooker it's in the fridge I'll pop it on in the morning before work I do find tinned corned beef to be quite pricey these days though. Even in Aldi!

I'm currently building up a stock of meals in my freezer from batch cooking. Hoping to keep my food bill down and maybe even have a week where I don't go food shopping! x
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    Hiya!
    Ooh you've gave me some good ideas thank you!
    On the corned beef I have just prepped a corned beef hash in the slow cooker it's in the fridge I'll pop it on in the morning before work I do find tinned corned beef to be quite pricey these days though. Even in Aldi!

I'm currently building up a stock of meals in my freezer from batch cooking. Hoping to keep my food bill down and maybe even have a week where I don't go food shopping! x
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    What's your recipe for the hash? I'm always keen to do stuff in the slow cooker so I don't have to cook when I get home! I noticed the corned beef isn't as cheap as it used to be

I normally batch-cook our lunches for the week on Saturday morning and then just get them out of the freezer the night before.
    My debt-free diary
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 5th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    What's your recipe for the hash? I'm always keen to do stuff in the slow cooker so I don't have to cook when I get home! I noticed the corned beef isn't as cheap as it used to be

I normally batch-cook our lunches for the week on Saturday morning and then just get them out of the freezer the night before.
    Originally posted by Lilith1980
    1 tin corned beef diced

4/5 potatoes diced

1 large onion finely chopped

1 carrot sliced

2 beef stock cubes

1/2 pint - pint water

Teaspoon of worstershire sauce

Chop it all up bung it in the slow cooker cook on low for 8 hours mash when ready. I absolutely love this recipe so warming and comforting
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    Ive learned from having no power for a week not to rely on the freezer for help during a cold snap

I have a whole shelf of herbs and spices, all types of flour, yeast, bicarb, baking soda. Pasta, rice, couscous, lentils , dried soup mix

Tinned toms,chickpeas,butterbeans,kidney beans, baked beans, sweetcorn, tinned carrots

Tinned salmon,mackeral,sardines, kippers, tuna, corned beef

Stock pots, jars of pickled vegetables, condiments

Tea, coffee, sugar, dried milk, drinking chocolate

That and the contents of my fridge of which there is always at least 4 blocks of cheese, cooked meats, butter, lard and milk, bacon and sausages, will keep us well fed for a good while just needing fresh veg

Oh and eggs galore
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 6th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    1 tin corned beef diced

4/5 potatoes diced

1 large onion finely chopped

1 carrot sliced

2 beef stock cubes

1/2 pint - pint water

Teaspoon of worstershire sauce

Chop it all up bung it in the slow cooker cook on low for 8 hours mash when ready. I absolutely love this recipe so warming and comforting
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    I'm hungry just reading that, thank you!
    My debt-free diary
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    Ive learned from having no power for a week not to rely on the freezer for help during a cold snap

I have a whole shelf of herbs and spices, all types of flour, yeast, bicarb, baking soda. Pasta, rice, couscous, lentils , dried soup mix

Tinned toms,chickpeas,butterbeans,kidney beans, baked beans, sweetcorn, tinned carrots

That and the contents of my fridge of which there is always at least 4 blocks of cheese, cooked meats, butter, lard and milk, bacon and sausages, will keep us well fed for a good while just needing fresh veg

Oh and eggs galore
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Hiya some great ideas here thanks! I'm trying to reduce my shopping bill so getting ideas from this thread for long lasting staples to have around so a meal can be made in a pinch
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 15,896 Posts
    • 134,740 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    I always have UHT milk in store plus crackers,tinned beans ,pilchards,tuna sweetcorn evaporated milk, flour herbs and spices.in the fridge I always have eggs, cheese,lettuce tomatoes, cucumber Stork marg (for baking) ,lard in my freezer its always far too full but I try to keep the odd packet of green veg incase I can't get to the shops for fresh, fish,chicken,and an assortment of ready meals made by me not bought in for the occassions when I jsut don't feel like cooking i.e. cottage pies.chilli's,curries etc

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 6th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    I always have UHT milk in store plus crackers,tinned beans ,pilchards,tuna sweetcorn evaporated milk, flour herbs and spices.in the fridge I always have eggs, cheese,lettuce tomatoes, cucumber Stork marg (for baking) ,lard in my freezer its always far too full but I try to keep the odd packet of green veg incase I can't get to the shops for fresh, fish,chicken,and an assortment of ready meals made by me not bought in for the occassions when I jsut don't feel like cooking i.e. cottage pies.chilli's,curries etc

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Hi Jackieo I'm trying to do the same with meals, so far I've got lasagne, meatballs, tuna pasta bake and soup in my freezer I think one week I'll try and eat out the freezer and put my shopping money into my EF there is the small or should I say very tall and hollow problem of my teen DS! Who also happens to be extremely fussy.
    Got lots of inspiration from this post thank you!
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    MeenaM
    great idea for a thread

sausages are always good to have , so easy to make a sausage pasta bake and cheap too

baked beans for the cupboard
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next1170Barclays Credit Card 4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 4138 3845.89AA Credit Card 860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card 521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund 614/1000
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 6th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    tins: fruit, beans, pulses, tomatoes, tomato paste, evaporated and condensed milk, tinned custard, syrups

Sugars, (caster, brown, demerara, muscovado and ordinary), gluten free and ordinary self-raising, plain and bread flour, rice flour, gram flour

Pasta, rice, herbs and spices, stock cubes, vinegars, oils (olive, rapeseed and sunflower), baking powder, bicarb and cream of tartar. More pulses, polenta

Dried and glace fruit. Jams, marmalade honey, and maple syrup

Teas and coffee.

Freezer seems to contain: a lot of raspberries, (I grow them to make jam), strawberries (ditto) just haven't got round to making the jam yet, homegrown cherries, a pack of mixed frozen berries, peas, sausages, garlic and naan bread. Outside freezer contains meat, (currently beef and lamb) as well as salmon steaks, but this is more of a moveable feast.

One thing - I don't think with all that in store we'll be starving soon!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 6th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 4,765 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I have most of the same but the kids love cheap noodles! Like the ones with chicken or curry flavourings on and will eat these as a quick lunch/ snack food if hungry! Not my cup of tea but cheap and good to have in.
    I also have normal dried noodles/rice noodles for a quick stir fry!
    1p savings challenge 2018
    2 savings challenge
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    Cupboard:
    Tinned plum toms
    Baked beans
    Bread flour
    Stock powder
    Oil
    Onions
    Garlic
    Dried lentils - brown and red
    Dried chickpeas
    Dried beans - kidney, black turtle, butter bean
    Spaghetti
    Rice
    Cous cous
    Soya mince (dehydrated)
    Parsley, thyme, oregano, basil, various curry powders (garam, cumin, coriander, chilli etc)
    Peanut butter
    Spuds
    Oats

Fridge:
    Yeast (but lasts for months)
    Condiments
    Spread (vegan)
    Jam
    Lemon juice

Freezer:
    Yellow sticker bread
    Sweetcorn
    Peas
    Spinach

All of the above last ages and I can then make:
    Bean chilli/ soya mince and kidney bean
    Chickpea tagine and cous cous (throw in whatever root veg I happen to have)
    Lentil spag bol/soya spag bol
    Lentil and spinach curry
    Beans on toast
    HM bean burgers, HM wedges, baked beans
    Bean/lentil soup and HM bread rolls
    Rice and beans (mexican spices, onion, garlic, tomato, rice, black beans)
    PB+J sammiches
    Porridge
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 9th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    purpleybat
    in my freezer I always like to have :- peas, spinach, sausages, mince and ready meals made by me.
    in the store cupboard I generally have :- pasta mountain (all different types), basmati rice, flours (plain, self raising, bread), cornflour, suet, milk powder, tinned tomatoes (no less than 6 cans), tomato puree, 3 of each type of various beans inc baked beans, 1 spam, 2 corned beef, 3-4 fish in tomato sauce, a few tuna, 2 coconut milk, 2 soup, loads of herbs and spices, mayo, ketchup, worcester sauce, marmite, stock cubes.
    in the fridge there's always butter and lard (to make pastry), cheese, carrots, marg. also always have plenty of spuds and onions.

anything else that's in there is what I want to eat when making shopping lists, but those things I always have. I do suffer a bit from 'siege mentality' and generally have more than that in stock, also after having a job with a 7 hour contract I got into the habit of buying tinned and dried food when I had the money so that when I barely worked I could still eat well.
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    2018 jan 124.69/130 feb 157.97/150 mar 221.33/200 apr 223.04/250
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 9th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    steph2901
    In my cupboards I've always got rice, pasta, noddles, herbs, spices, chopped tomatoes, sauces and stuff to make cakes.

In the freezer there's always a variety of veg, diced chicken, ice cream, garlic bread, pizza, oven chips and sometimes a ready meal.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy

Oh and eggs galore
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Did you lose power? Couldn't you put the freezer stuff under a heap of snow? Would that even work?
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 12th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    Fab thanks so much for all the replies, I will be referring to this thread when I go shopping and gradually stocking up on the essentials
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 12th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Chopped tomatoes, passata, tubes of tomato puree, rice pudding, tinned custard, various tinned fruits, jam, marmalade, tea, hot choc or cocoa, blancmange sachets, pudding rice, powdered dried milk, pasta, various rices - usually brown, white and basmati mixed with wild rice, rice noodles, egg noodles, corned beef, tins tuna, baked beans, Heinz tomato soup, Coop lentil & bacon soup (the only 2 worth having from tins IMHO!), dried lentils, dried split yellow peas, Marigold vegetable bullion powder, cornflour, plain flour, SR flour, massive bag of granulated sugar (from which I can make all other kinds in my Kenwood), all kinds of brown sugar, cherries, oats, raisins, mixed dried fruit with peel, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, vanilla extract, bag of white potatoes, mixed dried herbs as a minimum.

Fridge - salted and unsalted butter, cheese and milk preferably, but can use dried.

Freezer - fish fingers, petits pois, mixed veg, green beans, fish pie mix, some kind of white fish fillets, loaf of bread as backup. Usually have portions of meals I've frozen - like spag bol, lamb casserole, tuna pasta bake, slices of pies etc.

I use this recipe for corned beef hash - use low salt beans, corned beef and unsalted butter and don't add salt to your potatoes otherwise it can be a very salty meal!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/304609/corned-beef-hash-cheap-meal

Oh, I think I'm going to have to cook it this week now - love it, the ultimate store cupboard comfort food!
    Last edited by Wizzbang; 12-03-2018 at 2:34 PM.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,413.50
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 36,733 Posts
    • 472,834 Thanks
    pigpen
    I always have:

cupboard

beans,
    tinned spaghetti
    twisty pasta and spaghetti and lasagne sheets
    tomato soup
    red pasta sauce
    mayo
    white lasagne sauce
    gravy granules
    jam
    coffee
    teabags
    sugar

freezer

loads of frozen veg.. so much quicker than fresh and time is as precious as money some days and I need to save.
    mince
    pork steaks
    huge hunks of meat.. I can stretch one to 4 or 5 meals so if they cost 10 they still work out pretty cheap when feeding an army.

fridge

margarine
    ham
    cheese
    milk
    carrots
    mushrooms
    beetroot

side
    apples
    bananas
    oranges
    pears
    eggs
    bread

stuff we have that is gross and I will never use..

pate.. that stuff is foul
    green pesto.. what is it even for?
    5 jars pickled onions
    1 jar pickled cabbage.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter