Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 5th Mar 18, 9:14 PM
    • 3,914Posts
    • 35,964Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Recipe help please - how much is a dash?
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:14 PM
    Recipe help please - how much is a dash? 5th Mar 18 at 9:14 PM
    Hello

I'm baking a fruitcake and the recipe calls for a dash of vanilla extract and a dash of brandy. Google tells me that a dash is 1/8 teaspoon but that doesn't seem enough. I'm thinking 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of brandy - what do you think?

Thanks,
    MWC
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~195,000
    Outstanding balance: <30,000
    Current total overpayments: ~128,250
Page 1
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    A dash is smaller than a glug but bigger than a pinch.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    You can think of a dash as upending the bottle over the bowl and immediately righting it again.
    However, one member of our household gets so distressed by this inaccuracy, that some years ago Santa brought him a gift of " pinch, dash and smidgeon " spoons, which he uses most earnestly.
    From these I can confirm that a dash, 0.6ml, is actually more than a pinch (0.4ml)
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,460 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    Thats plenty enough for extract, thats pretty powerful and if you are adding brandy, Im assuming the final dish isn't supposed to have an overpowering taste of vanilla

A dash of brandy , well its subjective really. My plug would be a pretty hefty pour. Best use the cap as a measure. Try one and taste. You can add, but you can't remove
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 95,820 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    No more than half a teaspoon of vanilla or the cake will taste like you're eating something from the Body Shop circa 1993. Brandy, I'd be more generous with - 1tsp. If there was any left after 'just checking the flavour'.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 6th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 35,964 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    Thanks everyone

I probably should have mentioned quantities of the main ingredients as well (1.15 kg dried fruit and 300 g flour) and/or cake tin size (23 cm square). One teaspoon of vanilla wasn't overpowering (well not when I scraped the bowl afterwards!) but I'd probably use more brandy next time.

Recipe is here if anyone is interested - it was really easy to make and looked good when I got it out of the oven this morning.

You can think of a dash as upending the bottle over the bowl and immediately righting it again.
    However, one member of our household gets so distressed by this inaccuracy, that some years ago Santa brought him a gift of " pinch, dash and smidgeon " spoons, which he uses most earnestly.
    From these I can confirm that a dash, 0.6ml, is actually more than a pinch (0.4ml)
    Originally posted by jackyann
    I need those spoons!!! I don't trust my palate and follow recipes exactly (much to Mr MWC's annoyance - he just throws things together and they taste amazing). That's why I love the (usually) preciseness of baking
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~195,000
    Outstanding balance: <30,000
    Current total overpayments: ~128,250
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 6th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    Actually with vanilla, which can be overpowering, the problem is solved by using vanilla sugar. Bury a vanilla pod in a container of caster sugar, and leave it there. It will flavour the sugar so you can use it to substitute in any recipe that calls for sugar and vanilla.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 6th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    Yes, I use vanilla sugar, and tend to only use vanilla extract for something very specific.However, many years ago when through odd circumstances, I acquired (separately!) a large number of vanilla pods, and some pretty awful brandy, I made my own vanilla extract by steeping the pods in the brandy and adding a bit of sugar. It lasted me about 10 years!

Google pinch, dash, smidgen spoons - there seem to be a lot, at wildly varying prices. Santa got his Lakeland, but they no longer do them.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 12th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 6,559 Thanks
    janb5
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    Thanks everyone

I probably should have mentioned quantities of the main ingredients as well (1.15 kg dried fruit and 300 g flour) and/or cake tin size (23 cm square). One teaspoon of vanilla wasn't overpowering (well not when I scraped the bowl afterwards!) but I'd probably use more brandy next time.

Recipe is here if anyone is interested - it was really easy to make and looked good when I got it out of the oven this morning.

I need those spoons!!! I don't trust my palate and follow recipes exactly (much to Mr MWC's annoyance - he just throws things together and they taste amazing). That's why I love the (usually) preciseness of baking
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    Dear MWC- the recipe you posted is absolutely fab and I love it. They made a slight mistake with the conversion but otherwise it is gorgeous.

Thank you so much for posting it. xx
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 20,142 Posts
    • 33,333 Thanks
    Spendless
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Making a roast dinner with my teenage son a few years ago, I told him the measurement for something was a kn0b of butter. 'What a strange measurement' said DS 'one c0ck of butter' coming up.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 24,359 Thanks
    caronc
    Making a roast dinner with my teenage son a few years ago, I told him the measurement for something was a kn0b of butter. 'What a strange measurement' said DS 'one c0ck of butter' coming up.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Yes it's sent my 2 into fits of laughter before too
    My Mum's favourite measurements were a "dollop" and "just enough"......
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 13,502 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    "A dash" in a recipe says to me that that ingredient can be safely ignored.....ran out of vanilla essence years ago and never bothered to replace it; can't taste any difference in the cakes.

I admit to also not bothering with "pinches" of salt, or seasoning.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 19,374 Posts
    • 44,918 Thanks
    peachyprice
    For vanilla in cakes I usually put in a cap full.

Brandy in fruitcake I would probably put about a tablespoon and not bother with the vanilla, I don't think it would bring anything to the party with so many other powerful flavours.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 30,352 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    My cake would never have brandy, but a decent glug of bourbon!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,172Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin