Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LES2018
    • By LES2018 5th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LES2018
    NHS sick pay
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    NHS sick pay 5th Mar 18 at 8:39 PM
    Hi All

I'm a NHS worker with long service. I was off sick for an operation from 1 March - 3 October 2016. I was then rushed to hospital on 6 September 2017 and admitted for 3 days. I stupidly returned to work on 10th September only to be rushed back into hospital that night. I have been off sick since then. I have been told my full pay finishes on 12 March 2018 but they have agreed to pay me for the 17 days annual leave I am unable to take. This takes my full pay to 29 September. It will then go to half pay.

My questions are:
    1) does the annual leave days affect SSP?
    2) is the SSP included in my full pay and if so it should run out around 31 March?
    3) I have been advised to apply for ESA as unable to return to work for at least another couple of months...is this the right thing to do?

I've tried speaking to payroll who passed me to HR who have been as much good as a chocolate fireguard! My next move is asking union to help?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 5th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    Hi All

I'm a NHS worker with long service. I was off sick for an operation from 1 March - 3 October 2016. I was then rushed to hospital on 6 September 2017 and admitted for 3 days. I stupidly returned to work on 10th September only to be rushed back into hospital that night. I have been off sick since then. I have been told my full pay finishes on 12 March 2018 but they have agreed to pay me for the 17 days annual leave I am unable to take. This takes my full pay to 29 September. It will then go to half pay.

My questions are:
    1) does the annual leave days affect SSP?
    2) is the SSP included in my full pay and if so it should run out around 31 March?
    3) I have been advised to apply for ESA as unable to return to work for at least another couple of months...is this the right thing to do?

I've tried speaking to payroll who passed me to HR who have been as much good as a chocolate fireguard! My next move is asking union to help?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by LES2018

I'm guessing you mean 29 March and not 29 September?

Won't half pay be more than SSP?

I agree that your union should be your next move.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    I'm guessing you mean 29 March and not 29 September?

Won't half pay be more than SSP?

I agree that your union should be your next move.
    Originally posted by nicechap

I worked in the NHS for over 25 years. Your first and best option is your union. Not random strangers on the internet!

(I apologise in advance to posters on here who know better than me! But if you belong to a union - use them!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter