Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 5th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 200Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Vendor won't commit to Exchange
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    Vendor won't commit to Exchange 5th Mar 18 at 8:13 PM
    Vendor is keep changing Completion day and our solicitor doesn't say anything about exchange of contracts. I asked her and told me she will let me know.
    Am I stupid?
    Vendors said he wants to complete till end of February. Didn't happened. Then was 7th of March. Now is 12th of March... is Monday. Don't think will happen without any exchange of contract plans.
    Every time our solicitor is writing to our lender 5 days prior the "completion" date and nothing happens.
    We were told our vendor is buying the house of his mum and she is going to nursing home. Now our solicitor is talking about bottom of the chain? What? Did they lie to us?
    After all this rant, just want to ask is that constant canceling with the lender a bad thing?
    And also what can I do? If anything at all.
    We are first time buyers and I am foreign as my partner doesn't have the time to deal with all this. So I feel like they don't take me seriously!
Page 1
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 5th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    Is there any reason why you should be waiting? Have all the enquieres been answered? You could say you want to complete by end of month and threaten to pull out, maybe they are trying to sell for more money?
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 5th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,177 Posts
    • 5,665 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    If you're prepared to role the dice, say exchange by the end of the week or you'll pull out. Done it before. It worked for me.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 18,827 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    as my partner doesn't have the time to deal with all this.
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    In addition to the above comments, I just wanted to make a point on this.

Buying as house is one of the biggest financial commitments either of you will make. I suggest they need to make time if you feel they will have more of an impact.

• Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 58,452 Posts
    • 51,825 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    The whole chain needs to be in place for exchange of contracts to be effected. Completion date is set upon exchange.

Last week the weather wasn't good. Hardly surprising that people didn't wish to commit.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 5th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    Now our solicitor is talking about bottom of the chain?
    No-one will commit to exchange. You are not ready. You have now been made aware that the chain is longer than you thought. Everyone needs to be ready, not just you and your vendor.

The vendor doesn't get to decide when to exchange. Only when the solicitor has done all their legal work, will there be discussions about preferred exchange/completion dates but all the people in the chain have to agree the dates too!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    This is where estate agents should be earning their money. They will not get paid until the sale goes through.

They are in a better position to phone people in the chain and let you know what is happening and why there is a delay.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    YOU are the bottom of the chain. Is your solicitor mixing you up with someone else? Unless the chain has branched off somewhere, although I can't quite work out where - are you sure he didn't have another property to sell and tie in with this? Maybe he's buying with a partner and she has to sell too?
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 6th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    Thank you everyone. All the comments were super helpful.
    I just sent an email to the EA asking the same questions in a different way.
    We are renting at the moment. And the fixed term lease will end up next month so we have to give notice till 28th of March or continue it.
    Don't want to move into temporary because we have a baby.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 6th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    saajan_12
    We are renting at the moment. And the fixed term lease will end up next month so we have to give notice till 28th of March or continue it.
    Don't want to move into temporary because we have a baby.
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    1) When does your fixed term actually finish? You don't have to give notice to leave by the end of the fixed term, you can just up and leave on the last day (though it's polite to give LL a heads up)

2) Has your LL served notice? If you're still in residence after the fixed term ends, you'll automatically roll into a periodic tenancy where you can leave with 1 periods notice (unless specified otherwise by your current agreement). So unless LL gets a possession order and bailiffs arrive before your purchase goes through, you should be able to stay there, no temporary accommodation needed.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 6th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 33,348 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Contracts cannot be exchanged until a completion date has been agreed by all parties.

Once that happens, the solicitors have to ask their clients if they are happy to proceed to exchange. If one party in the chain won't proceed, no-one can.

You might wish to start looking for another property, just in case.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 6th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    The end date of the lease is 30th of April. We want to be good tenants and give 1 month notice according to the lease. They may want us to sign another 12 month or 6 month lease. O

Kingstreet, thank you. I didn't stop looking at properties during the hole process but there is no house we like in our price range. This one just ticks most of the boxes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin