Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Cofusedforever
    • By Cofusedforever 5th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fire Risk Assessment
    • #1
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    Fire Risk Assessment 5th Mar 18 at 7:53 PM
    I have recently become a Director of a block of flats that was converted in 2006. The flat is managed by the owners of each flat with no management company. There are two flats which share a communal entrance and lead up one flight of stairs to the two flats. There is only one person living permenantly in each flat, the communal area has a fire alarm on the ground floor and upper landing. The cupboard housing the communal electricity meter is kept locked and nothing is stored there. The whole communal area is kept clear at all times.

    The other two flats have their own entrances and have no access to the communal area.

    Do we need to undergo a Fire Risk Assessment? And if so, who can carry one out? Does it need to be someone paid and brought in independently? Or can myself/another Director perform the assessment, in which case is there paperwork that needs to be completed to prove a fire risk assessment is carried out?

    Sorry for all the questions, I've just got rather confused on this one.
Page 1
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 6th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:23 PM
    Telephone your local fire brigade and ask. They often do free fire risk assessments for individual homes; they may do them for blocks of flats as well. And they will know exactly what is required by law.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 6th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    Yes I believe you do. I had a similar situation and we needed one.

    You can do it yourself as a director, but I personally chose not to take that risk of signing it off.

    You can download the fire risk assessment form. This is an example, you'll find councils have their own

    We got a professional firm (Googled them), cost about 400 IIRC.

    Thankfully I sold my flat and resigned directorship, glad to be rid of it.
    • Cofusedforever
    • By Cofusedforever 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #4
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    Thank you dancing_star. I'll look to arrange a professional to come and assess the place. No one has ever done the basics since the flat was converted and I will be shouldering the majority of the responsibility. I love my flat but the problems of liasing with one of the Directors in particular can leave me in tears at times.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin