Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stripeytiger2018
    • By Stripeytiger2018 5th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Stripeytiger2018
    Confused about retentions? Help please!?
    • #1
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    Confused about retentions? Help please!? 5th Mar 18 at 7:53 PM
    Hi guys

    FTB here and a little confused as to how retention works. A buildings surveyor said today in his experience the lender we have gone with would put a retention on for works. He's recommended that work will cost up to 3k. Haven't worked out who's paying or reducing sale price or anything like that yet as waiting for report to go to lender.
    The banks surveyor refused to value so had a buildings surveyor have a look and he's given us this 3k figure.

    My question is ... is a retention an under valuation ? For example if the house was valued on the open market at 220k would a mortgage with a 3 k retention be 3k less?

    Would the banks surveyor value the house 3k less after seeing 3k of works is recommended?

    It's a 1st time buyers scheme and we need the mortgage offer to match the open market valuation (minus deposit)

    Sorry If that makes no sense I'm really confused !

    Have sent some emails asking this question but it's driving me mad tonight.
Page 1
    • Stripeytiger2018
    • By Stripeytiger2018 5th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stripeytiger2018
    • #2
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    Any help really appreciated thank you
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 5th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    amnblog
    • #3
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • #3
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    If we assume that the property valuation is OK but a 3,000 retention is put in place.

    The lender will lend you as requested but will hold 3,000 back until the works set out in the retention clause are completed after purchase.

    This can be a problem as you need to find the 3,000 from somewhere else to complete on the purchase.

    Clearly, the cost of the repairs were unexpected to you, and you may look to renegotiate the price. However, dropping the price by 3,000 will not remove your need to find extra cash to complete the purchase.

    Speak to your Mortgage Broker for more guidance.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 58,528 Posts
    • 51,884 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • #4
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • #4
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    The banks surveyor refused to value
    Originally posted by Stripeytiger2018
    On what grounds? Be surprising if it was for a 3k retention for remedial works.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Stripeytiger2018
    • By Stripeytiger2018 5th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stripeytiger2018
    • #5
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • #5
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    Thank you. The banks surveyor said that because there is step cracking above the kitchen window she was unable to value it. She wants a detailed report from buildings surveyor or structural engineer detailing the cause along with costs to put it right for it's future stability. The buildings surveyor today said it's not structural he has recommended we have a lintel put in two windows and we have the brickwork repointed.

    So it is possible for the banks surveyor to value the house as the same as the open market valuation but put a retention on.

    Had a chat with solicitors today she said wait for our report. Will have it in a few days
    • Stripeytiger2018
    • By Stripeytiger2018 5th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stripeytiger2018
    • #6
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • #6
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    We are hoping once the banks surveyor has the report she will be able to provide a valuation. I hope she doesn't under value as the buyer has had two done and we have had two all of which are 220k we also had a homebuyers survey which highlighted a few things.
    There is work to be done but we are happy with the price of the property and can budget accordingly.
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 6th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    • #7
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • #7
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    Hi,

    I just wanted to share our story, which is similar, just to give you some idea of how you could progress. We bought our house last year (completed Feb 2017). We had a similar situation in that at first, the lender valued the house in line with our offer, but put a 100% retention on it subject to a structural survey (query subsidence) and cavity wall tie inspection.

    We arranged these with a couple of well respected local businesses for a total cost of just under 500. These identified a need for the cavity wall ties to be replaced, along with the replacement of 3 lintels. The reports were dispatched to the lender, who then reduced the retention to 5000, subject to works being completed. Total cost of the works from the people who produced the reports was just over 3000, so they were withholding more than the work cost.

    Our mortgage broker negotiated on our behalf with the vendor, via the estate agent to get us the best deal, and it was finally agreed that the vendor would get the work completed at his expense, to a standard deemed acceptable by the lender with insurance backed guarantees transferable to us at completion, as long as we agreed to proceed at our original agreed price (our alternative was to try and drop the price to a point to make it affordable to find the extra cash). As the vendor was a joiner, he clearly had contacts in the relevant trades and had the work done the week before Christmas.

    We hadn't completed any legal work up to this point (the offer was accepted in late October) as our solicitor had only received our vendor's contract pack 3 weeks after the offer was accepted and by that time, we had already had the valuation back and didn't want to spend on searches etc until we knew that the surveys were sound. We kicked off the legals the first week in January and completed the 24th February. We could have completed a couple of weeks earlier had our solicitors been more on the ball, but in the end it worked out well.

    Whatever you decide to do, have confidence in your decision. Good luck in the negotiations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin