Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justry4n
    • By justry4n 5th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 56Thanks
    justry4n
    Beneficiary for pension, but not will? Question..
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    Beneficiary for pension, but not will? Question.. 5th Mar 18 at 7:25 PM
    Hi there - itís with great sadness Iím writing on this forum because of a close family friends death, so many are happening so quickly!

Iím question is IP put me and my brother down as the beneficiary for his pension, and was getting round to re-write his will to leave his entire estate to us both to make sure we have a comfortable life for the future. However, a stroke took him quicker then he could enforce a new will - his old 2000ís will is currently leaving his estate to charity, which his later years wanted to leave to us.

IPs background is he was my motherís bestfriend, my mother recently died and so did a part of him, and he continued to make sure me and my brother were ok I.e checkin up on us, and treating us like his own kids, however, we are not related at all.

Can I contest the will?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,642 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:29 PM

Iím question is IP put me and my brother down as the beneficiary for his pension,
    Originally posted by justry4n
    I don't understand this -surely his pension stops on his death unless there is a widows or children benefit ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 5th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    Anyone can contest a will, but it's hard to see the grounds on which your claim could succeed, given the many years he had in which to change the will if he wished. If he had been providing for you and your brother financially, the story might be different - but it doesn't sound as if that was the case (and inheriting his pension - which I presume was a personal pension which had not yet come into payment - might in any case been seen as 'adequate provision').
    Last edited by Brynsam; 05-03-2018 at 9:17 PM.
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Is this 'best friend' the person you referred to as your mother's boyfriend in another of your posts a few weeks ago - the one who was going to leave her house to you in his will....?

Given that your mother only died in January, maybe the time has come to stop posting about avoiding capital gains tax, whether you need to pay inheritance tax, how to ensure you get your mother's life insurance paid out and do two things: take proper legal advice (the sort you pay for and can rely on, provided you supply all relevant facts) and - much more importantly - give yourself some time and space to mourn your mother's death.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 5th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    I don't understand this -surely his pension stops on his death unless there is a widows or children benefit ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    As per my post above. Alternativley, could be the balance of any guarantee period of payment - which is likely to be nothing at all if he had been receiving his pension for at least 5 years at the time of his death.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin