Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Frank99
    Cylinder Anti-snap Locks etc?
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    Cylinder Anti-snap Locks etc? 5th Mar 18 at 6:40 PM
    I recently got my 3 cylinder locks upgraded to anti snap/bump/pick etc.
    Unfortunately i think i have been conned because i asked for 3 stars kitemarked top of the range and i got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BWUDV52/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

I contacted the locksmith and he said these are just as good as ultion, abs etc but i'm not convinced, i feel like an idiot.
    My question really is is there a difference between them, or are all cylinder lock vunerable, i notice youtube videos of these locks being picked in seconds.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    bris
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    It's £7.99, what kind of lock did you really expect to get for that price?
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    I paid him £125!!!!
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    I paid £125 for three of these including fitting however, they don't seem to have kitemarks or three stars so i guess i've been had.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    Maybe they don't have a British-Kite-Mark because they're not British? They could apply for one I suppose.

Three ABS locks would have cost £120 (ebay)? or more and that's without fitting charges so what did you expect for £7,99?

"Schlosser Technik Ultimate2" are they made in Germany? Probably not . .
    Last edited by societys child; 05-03-2018 at 7:07 PM.

• Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    Thanks for that, i am wondering if they might be as good then if the kite mark is just about where it's made. The Lockrite locksmith claims they just as good.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 5th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    Furts
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    A BS Kitemark is nothing to do with where an object is made. What it means is British Standards are involved with the quality and accreditation of the product. Basically the BS are saying this product has manufacturing checked by us at BS and we say it meets the all the necessary criteria of the relevant Standard.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Hmm, just read the reviews on amazon, don't look particularly good. ;(

• Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    When people say what did i expect for £7.99, the fact is i asked for the best cylinder that he could give me as i he didn't have a catalogue or anything and this what the locksmith gave me so i suppose i have been conned.
    I just suspect that he might not have been honest with me.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 5th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    No lock is unbreakable but I'd be willing to bet money it's not up to the standard of either the Avocet ABS or the Brisant Ultion. If you explicitly asked for either a 3* or 3* diamond standard cylinder then you've not been given what you asked for. I'd be asking for your money back or a replacement to the specification requested.
    • Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    Exactly, those reviews have caused me to panic!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    societys child
    What it means is British Standards are involved with the quality and accreditation of the product
    What it actually means is, a bod is timed on how long it takes him(her) to defeat the lock. They have everything you could conceivably need to do this and can "take a break" (the clock is stopped) to reconsider their plan of attack. They will defeat the lock, the accreditation depends on the actual time taken.

• Frank99
    • By Frank99 5th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frank99
    That is a potential game changer, if all these locks are based around a difference of a few seconds or minutes then i wonder if i should bother.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 5th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Seriously OP, unless there is a good reason for paying somebody to do this, if you decide to change again you ought to at least think about trying to DIY it. Depends on your own ability of course, but it really is an easy job and there are plenty of YouTube "How -tos"
    Last edited by Jackmydad; 05-03-2018 at 8:05 PM.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I recently got my 3 cylinder locks upgraded to anti snap/bump/pick etc.
    Unfortunately i think i have been conned because i asked for 3 stars kitemarked top of the range and i got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BWUDV52/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1
    Originally posted by Frank99
    I believe these would have been an 'upgrade'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/181448922090?chn=ps&adgroupid=52130537895&rlsatarg et=pla-412325288534&abcId=1133946&adtype=pla&merchantid=1 01758813&poi=&googleloc=9046325&device=c&campaigni d=1057748351&crdt=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGfQ-UA2Ps
    Last edited by sevenhills; 05-03-2018 at 8:32 PM.

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 5th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    That is a potential game changer, if all these locks are based around a difference of a few seconds or minutes then i wonder if i should bother.
    Originally posted by Frank99
    A few minutes could make all the difference as a burglar would probably give up (or have to resort to a noisier method of entry).

Also whilst not unbreakable to a good lock picker the better cyclinders may well foil the less sophisticated opportunist thief whose skills donít go any further than being able to rip off a handle and snap the cylinder (which can be done in seconds).
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Mar 18, 12:06 AM
    • 6,304 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    stator
    If you asked for three star BS security locks and he hasn't provided them, then yes you have a right to a replacement or refund.
    Yes those locks you have linked look like crap
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 6,304 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    stator
    M
    Three ABS locks would have cost £120 (ebay)? or more and that's without fitting charges so what did you expect for £7,99?

"Schlosser Technik Ultimate2" are they made in Germany? Probably not . .
    Originally posted by societys child
    The OP didn't ask for £7.99 locks, you should re-read the OP's posts.
    The link was to show what the locksmith has fitted, not what he/she asked for
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 6th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    societys child
    The OP didn't ask for £7.99 locks, you should re-read the OP's posts.
    The link was to show what the locksmith has fitted, not what he/she asked for
    Originally posted by stator
    I didn't say he asked for £7.99 locks, I just followed the link. The fact they are available at £7.99 was brought up by another poster before I'd even seen the link (and the price) and I did read the op, BTW

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 07-03-2018 at 8:46 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,511Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin