Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 5th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    parkingissues
    Newbie - HELP with defence letter
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    Newbie - HELP with defence letter 5th Mar 18 at 6:40 PM
    hello, I've read the FAQ thread but need someone to look over my defence letter, it would be much appreciated! I have been charged with over 2000 and don't believe it to be fair

DEFENCE STATEMENT
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

I assert that I am not liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount at all, for the following reasons:

1. I am the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

2. I own a food business at the address where the alleged contraventions occurred, renting the shop at ___. I have been at these premises for two years. For the first year there were no issues with parking in the private carpark as it was incorporated within the lease.

3. I was parking there without knowledge of contravening any parking laws as my landlord stated that I was safe to park there until the lease is renewed.

4. There were no clear signs from NPM during the time of the contravention and these have only been placed since November 2017.

5. I feel I am continued to be a victim of discrimination due to a previous criminal matter that resulted in a hearing held at _____Magistrates Court, where the defendant was an employer of National Parking Management who served me with 14 Penalty Notices. He was charged with harassment and hate crime. During this process he issued me with the notices due to revenge purposes.

6. I was not parked on some of the dates the notices were issued and I was denied seeing any photographical evidence. Upon challenging this, the NPM employee would get aggressive towards me.

7. All other tenants would park in the same carpark. None of them have to date been issued with penalty notices other than myself.

8. I currently pay my landlord 25.00 per month for my parking permit, whilst two garages and two restaurants who use the same carpark are with permits that have been incorporated into their agreements for no extra charge.

I believe the facts stated in this Defence Statement are true.
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,125 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    Any defence needs to remove the word 'I' and change it to 'the Defendant'.

And the heading should be DEFENCE (not 'statement').

But, wow, please elucidate!! Tell us MORE about the criminal case:
    I feel I am continued to be a victim of discrimination due to a previous criminal matter that resulted in a hearing held at _____Magistrates Court, where the defendant was an employer of National Parking Management who served me with 14 Penalty Notices. He was charged with harassment and hate crime. During this process he issued me with the notices due to revenge purposes.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    Hello, thank you for the feedback, the NPM employee was threatening and vandalised my vehicle. I have added some extra information in my defence about this but don't want to add too much detail online

NPM don't have a contract with me or my landlord, I only lease a business premise at the site. There are no loading/offloading bays either. How could I add this to my statement? Thank you!
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    DEFENCE
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

I assert that I am not liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount at all, for the following reasons:

1. The Defendant was the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

2. The Defendant owns a food business at the address where the alleged contraventions occurred, renting the shop at _______ They have been at these premises for two years. For the first year there were no issues with parking in the private carpark as it was incorporated within the lease.

3. The Defendant was parking there without knowledge of contravening any parking laws as my landlord stated that I was safe to park there until the lease is renewed.

4. There were no clear signs from NPM during the time of the contravention and these have only been placed since November 2017.

5. The Defendant feels that they continue to be victim of discrimination due to a previous criminal matter that resulted in a hearing held at ---- Magistrates Court, where the defendant was an employer of National Parking Management who served the Defendant with 14 Penalty Notices. He was charged with harassment and hate crime. During this process he issued me with the notices due to revenge purposes.

6. The Defendant was not parked on some of the dates the notices were issued and I was denied seeing any photographical evidence. Upon challenging this, the NPM employee would get aggressive towards the Defendant.

7. On a number of occasions, the NPM employee would park in front of the Defendant's car and prevent the Defendant from exiting the carpark in order to issue the Defendant with a fine.

8. The NPM employee regularly vandalised the Defendant's vehicle. The damage was too costly for the Defendant to repair. The vehicle was broken down and left in the space.

9. The Defendant was not the registered keeper of the vehicle in question for the whole period in which penalty notices were issued. From February 2017 to May 2017, the vehicle was given to a homeless person because it was broken down. However, the person did not have an address and used the vehicle as a shelter. For this reason, the Defendant registered the vehicle under their own address until the homeless person was able to register the vehicle.

10. All other tenants would park in the same carpark. None of them have to date been issued with penalty notices other than the Defendant

11. The Defendant currently pays their landlord 25.00 per month for my parking permit, whilst two garages, a warehouse, two shops and three restaurants who use the same carpark are with permits that have been incorporated into their agreements for no extra charge.

12. The carpark is overcrowded and often there is no space to enter or exit the carpark. The carpark is used by a number of other businesses.

13. There are no bay markings in the carpark whatsoever.

14. There are yellow double lines in front of the building. There are no loading bays on the business premise and so any terms imposed by signage positioned by National Parking Management are impractical for all services loading or unloading. An approach such as the Claimants which restricts vehicle makes it difficult for a business to run as food deliveries and unloading other items to the restaurant cannot be done.

Please could I have some suggestions on how to improve, I have to send this off today
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    extortionate charges and differing advice
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    Hello,

On the sticky newbies thread it says never to put extortionate charges as part of your defence. I have been issued with 14 PCNs and the total amount is a few thousand pounds. I am currently trying to do a defence statement against this, does anyone have any advice they could offer?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    Is this residential? If so, please tell us the specific wording of your lease/AST wrt to parking. Does it mention parking permits, or being charged for non display. Please read this.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/residential-parking.html
    Last edited by The Deep; 07-03-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    Arguing Non-Contractual Agreement?
    Hello, if a sign says a valid permit must be displayed, am I in a contractual agreement with the private company who gave me the PCN?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 17,632 Posts
    • 27,892 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    There's another thread running on this, so the OP should copy and paste the query there, then let this parallel thread 'die'.

@OP - forum etiquette - one case one thread, then everything, background, questions and advice is contained in one place.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    It is not residential, its a business, I rent a shop from my landlord. It does not mention any parking in my business contract.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 7th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    bigisi
    Please keep all your questions to one thread, asking multiple questions in multiple threads isn't doing anyone any favours.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 17,632 Posts
    • 27,892 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Oh, jeez, OP - this is getting out of hand. Please do not start a new thread for every question that crosses your mind. Forum etiquette - one case, one thread.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    if a sign says a valid permit must be displayed, am I in a contractual agreement with the private company who gave me the PCN?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,125 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hello,

On the sticky newbies thread it says never to put extortionate charges as part of your defence. I have been issued with 14 PCNs and the total amount is a few thousand pounds. I am currently trying to do a defence statement against this, does anyone have any advice they could offer?
    Originally posted by parkingissues
    Yes, you should never talk about the amount being excessive or not related to any loss, because the Beavis case killed that argument re private PCNs.

There is NO differing advice, do NOT use that argument.

Certainly the defence can argue that any added 'debt collection' costs/indemnity charges or 'damages' is fantasy and unrecoverable tosh, and all the usual arguments about signage and landowner authority.

If this is a residential car park you obviously have the template written by Johnersh to use as a base, that's why the examples are in the NEWBIES thread, to give you something to work with, that DOES have legs in court.

We then want you to show us your draft defence, and we will assist further.

As you mention defence we assume you are at court claim stage. Have you done the AOS?

You will need to tell us who the PPC is and what the rip-off is all about and where, and if it is a residential car park, what does the resident's own agreement (lease or tenancy) say about parking, permits etc.?

Was the resident there first, or was the PPC infestation there first (in which case why did they even move there, I wouldn't!!). Not joking, a PPC scumbag would make me walk away from a property.

If it's not a residential site, how the heck did a driver get 14 PCNs?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    I got 14 PCNs when I was unloading and offloading. I own a shop at the premises and use a car to do food deliveries.

I haven't done the AOS, I've done MCOL and thats it. I don't know what AOS is.

The Parking Charge says National Parking Management, but the signage says Northamptonshire Parking Management, but the logo seems to be the same.

Here is my defence I have so far, please it would be really appreciated if I could have some help on it.

DEFENCE

1. The Defendant was the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

2. The Defendant owns a food business at the address where the alleged contraventions occurred, renting the shop at ---------. They have been at these premises for two years. For the first year there were no issues with parking in the private carpark as it was incorporated within the lease.

3. The Defendant was parking there without knowledge of contravening any parking laws as my landlord stated that I was safe to park there until the lease is renewed.

5. The sign attached by National Parking Management Ltd states that 'vehicles must park fully within a marked parking bay' as parts of the terms and conditions. However there are no parking bays present in the carpark.

6. The Defendant feels that they continue to be victim of discrimination due to a previous criminal matter that resulted in a hearing held at ----- Magistrates Court, where the defendant was an employer of National Parking Management who served the Defendant with 14 Penalty Notices. He was charged with harassment and hate crime. During this process he issued me with the notices due to revenge purposes.

7. The Defendant was not parked on some of the dates the notices were issued and I was denied seeing any photographical evidence. Upon challenging this, the NPM employee would get aggressive towards the Defendant.

8. On a number of occasions, the NPM employee would park in front of the Defendant's car and prevent the Defendant from exiting the carpark in order to issue the Defendant with a fine.

9. The NPM employee regularly vandalised the Defendant's vehicle. The damage was too costly for the Defendant to repair. The vehicle was broken down and left in the space.

10. The Defendant was not the registered keeper of the vehicle in question for the whole period in which penalty notices were issued. From February 2017 to March 2017, the vehicle was given to a homeless person because it was broken down. However, the person did not have an address and used the vehicle as a shelter. For this reason, the Defendant registered the vehicle under their own address until the homeless person was able to register the vehicle.

11. All other tenants would park in the same carpark. None of them have to date been issued with penalty notices other than the Defendant

12. The Defendant currently pays their landlord 25.00 per month for my parking permit, whilst two garages, a warehouse, two shops and three restaurants who use the same carpark are with permits that have been incorporated into their agreements for no extra charge.

13. The carpark is overcrowded and often there is no space to enter or exit the carpark. The carpark is used by a number of other businesses.

14. There are yellow double lines in front of the building. There are no loading bays on the business premise and so any terms imposed by signage positioned by National Parking Management are impractical for all services loading or unloading. An approach such as the Claimants which restricts vehicle makes it difficult for a business to run as food deliveries and unloading other items to the restaurant cannot be done.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,125 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    if a sign says a valid permit must be displayed, am I in a contractual agreement with the private company who gave me the PCN?
    Originally posted by parkingissues
    Arguably yes - if the signs are very prominent with the 100 in large lettering as a clear charge you could not miss, and it makes you an offer of something of value - unless you can show you have primacy of contract in the lease for the business premises at the site.

i.e. if your business lease grants you the unfettered right to use a parking space that the landlord owns, or includes that space as granted solely to you, as a right/part of your demised property, then you may have primacy of contract. As long as the lease isn't vague about your parking rights, it will be key, because you can say you are already granted parking rights and so the PPC has not offered you anything of value, so there is no consideration, no agreed contract possible without consideration, and the PPC is in fact guilty of 'derogation from grant'.

Explained here:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/residential-parking.html

Similar to a residential parking location. The lease terms, and clarity of signage, will be key.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 07-03-2018 at 4:27 PM.

• parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    The lease that I had at that time did not mention any parking.

The signs are by different companies - one sign at the carpark says Northfield Property Management, another says Northamptonshire Parking Management, the Parking Charge says National Parking Management. I am really confused by all this!!

Do you think I have any standing at all in my defence?
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 7th Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    Advice - frollow the newbies advice posting by CM
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • parkingissues
    • By parkingissues 7th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    parkingissues
    Yes, will do sorry. I am just very worried about this charge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin