Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stuckinarut
    • By Stuckinarut 5th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 233Posts
    • 37Thanks
    Stuckinarut
    PPI claims company
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    PPI claims company 5th Mar 18 at 6:27 PM
    I stupidly used a claims company and when I was paid my PPI claim it was paid directly to an IVA practitioner. At that point I questioned the claims company as I was honest and told them about my IVA and they never discussed fee’s. They told me I should have read the small print before signing. Fair enough, i accepted this. I then had to contact Bank of Scotland and my IVA practitioner and finally it was agreed that the money would be paid direct to me. The PPI claims company knew this as I have an email confirming I would receive the funds but they had checked with the bank and the payment was still being processed and I should make payment to them within 7 days of receiving the money. However i have received the following today.

My name is Edward Beesley and I work in ClaimHunters complaints and compliance department. My colleague has forwarded me your case file, as I understand that you were querying an outstanding fee of £648.51, for a successful PPI complaint against Bank of Scotland. However, in this instance, the redress was used to offset an outstanding balance on the account, which had formed part of a Trust Deed you entered into.

You requested a recording of the phone conversation you had with our staff member on 31 October 2017, when we went over a fact-find with you, before submitting the PPI mis-sale complaint. I apologise that we have not been able to get the recording to you previously, but we were suffering a technical issue with the software that stores all phone recordings in and out of our offices. However, I have reviewed the case file, and I can see that you did indeed advise us that you had entered into a Trust Deed in 2003, although you were unsure whether this Bank of Scotland account had been put into this.

I must apologise for the error that was made by our staff at the time. ClaimHunters would not look to undertake any PPI complaint against a business where the policy in question was attached to an account that was subsequently entered into part of a Trust Deed, IVA or Bankruptcy Order. This is for the very reason that we will likely find ourselves in this position, where redress is given to the Trustee or Official Receiver, rather than to our client. In this instance, our we should have confirmed this with you when you mentioned your Trust Deed, and explained the potential for fees to be levelled, even if money does not come back to you directly.

Because of this, I have wiped the outstanding balance from your file, and I can confirm that ClaimHunters will not contact you again regarding outstanding fees (in the unlikely event that you do receive any correspondence, please disregard this, or refer it to my attention). I can also confirm that your file has been closed, and ClaimHunters shall perform no more work on any other PPI complaints.

Do you think it is safe to keep the money as they have admitted to their error or could they still come asking for their fee’s?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 16,841 Posts
    • 17,853 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    You'll be fine now. Keep the correspondence though.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    Sounds like it's your own decision what to do in these circumstances. Certainly, it would be morally correct for you now to have to pay them. You employed them knowing full well that a fee would be charged for their services and it was only because you told them that the whole redress was being sent to your IVA that the CMC agreed to waive the fee. Those circumstances have now changed considerably.

On the other hand, it's unlikely the CMC will ever find out you've received all the money.

Bottom line is, it's probably wise for you not to spend the CMC's fee for a good while yet...
    • Stuckinarut
    • By Stuckinarut 5th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Stuckinarut
    I!!!8217;ve saved the email just incase, i!!!8217;m just worried since he refers to IVA getting the money when actually i!!!8217;m going to have it.
    • Stuckinarut
    • By Stuckinarut 5th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Stuckinarut
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    They know I will be getting the money though as another of there staff emailed me in regards to the payments being sent to me, and if he has checked my file correctly like he says then surely he would also have access to this information?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm just worried since he refers to IVA getting the money when actually I'm going to have it.
    Originally posted by Stuckinarut
    I'd be worried too. Keep the fee amount to one side in readiness.

They know I will be getting the money though as another of there staff emailed me in regards to the payments being sent to me
    Oh dear.
    • Stuckinarut
    • By Stuckinarut 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Stuckinarut
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    Surely that is their mistake again. I also replied to the email stating to make payment advising that I hadn!!!8217;t yet received the money and they came back saying yes we!!!8217;ve confirmed this with the bank
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    Surely that is their mistake again.
    How is it their mistake if you've received the money?
    • Stuckinarut
    • By Stuckinarut 5th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Stuckinarut
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    It!!!8217;s not a mistake that i!!!8217;ll receive the money, but all their records support this. Yet he couldn!!!8217;t tell this??
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 20,156 Posts
    • 11,100 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Keep the fee amount to one side in readiness.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

7,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin