Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 5th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,255Posts
    • 1,315Thanks
    GotToChange
    PIP Application and now ESA - not connected??
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    PIP Application and now ESA - not connected?? 5th Mar 18 at 5:45 PM
    Hi there - it's been a while, and here I am again, looking for help, or friendly ears......

I had an ESA review in May last year, and remained in the Support Group (she actually told me at the appointment, as I was in such poor - mental shape). Atter advice from Healthwatch, I - cautiously, but with "grounds" - submitted a PIP application in September. After a couple of months they wrote a letter that implied I may not need to attend - but this was followed by a "short notice" appointment for 2 Jan - which I managed to attend as it was actually at the end of my road.

Of course, I made the mistake of wearing make up - and I had also submitted a psychiatrist letter from 2016 (again, cautiously, but then he had labelled me as ------ well, I'm too ashamed to say).
    The application came back with 0 aross the board, which did not even match with what she had written, or what I had said. ( I surreptitiously recorded, for my own memory purposes - and know that what I said should have fit the descriptors - let alone the non-existent physical exam "consent".)
    I made a Mandatory Considerstion request - by phone - and elaborated further on my difficulties (easier to do on the phone) - and that came back last week with 0 across the board too.... More reference was made to the letter/s, as though they were evidence of my GOOD mental state, not how bad (the Pscych left the NHS/country four weeks after I saw him) and also the January assessment was mentioned again, and not much of what I had said in the telephone call *sigh*

So now, yes, I did plan to appeal..... even though my anxiety is off the charts
    But then today, I received an ESA review form (basically the "usual" form) - which seems so soon, given that I only saw them last May.
    I just don't think I can deal wth both at once..... when I was faced with the ESA assesment last year, I hardly slept between January and May - and this set off a terrible pattern of sleeping downstairs, so that I can actually fall asleep at all. I have not slept in my bed since then - and cannot see that changing.
    This is as much of a rant as anything - but it really seems as though intermal mechanisms are at work when, having been refused one benefit, the main one is now under threat - all of a sudden.
    I would love to hear from anyone about their experience of such a thing happening to them
    Note; my claim is based on mental health/illness -but even so, the PIP assessment states that I agreed to a physical assessment and then goes into much detail about my shoulders range of movement, when I never moved my bum off the chair!

PS - tried to get through to JCP for hours - after going thrrough the menu, onto hold for ages then cut off. If that even, as sometimes - through menu - "All of our customer advisers are busy" - goes dead. Strange.... but so upsetting.
    Last edited by GotToChange; 05-03-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    No, they're not connected. The length of time between assessment for ESA varies for everyone and some do have them after just 1 year.

Each re-assessment you're sent more ESA50 forms. I'd advice you to send all your evidence with the forms. Good luck.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 5th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    GotToChange
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    No, they're not connected. The length of time between assessment for ESA varies for everyone and some do have them after just 1 year.

Each re-assessment you're sent more ESA50 forms. I'd advice you to send all your evidence with the forms. Good luck.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

It "is" just timing then I guess......
    Nothing happened for three + years previously

• poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:47 PM
    It "is" just timing then I guess......
    Nothing happened for three + years previously
    Originally posted by GotToChange
    Unfortunately yes. My last PIP and ESA re-assessment came within 1 week of each other.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 5th Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    GotToChange
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    Even though it is possibly the case, it just feels as though, it goes like this -
    "Not eligible for PIP, let's uuse that to "un"-qualify them for ESA"

Maybe this person with "suicidal thoughts" mentioned all over their report will actually get the hell on with it.....

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter