Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 5th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 8,027Posts
    • 28,098Thanks
    Primrose
    Snowdrops going blind
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    Snowdrops going blind 5th Mar 18 at 5:35 PM
    I have several clumps of snowdrops planted under low hanging evergreen shrubs that have all come up “blind” this year for the first time.
    I wonder if the amount of shade has suddenly proved too much and weakened them.

If I dig them up and replant them in a sunnier splot while still in the green, can I expect them to start flowering again next Spring ?
Page 1
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    rosy10
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    If the snowdrops are under an evergreen hedge then it may be that the bulbs didn't get enough moisture over the summer; I'd move them as you have suggested. Also I always bury my bulbs quite deep.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 6th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    They should be fine again next year if you re-plant them. Personally I'd let them complete their cycle this spring, then lift them.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    They may be overcrowded and need splitting up. It is best to move snowdrops 'in the blind' which is immediately after flowering, while the leaves are green.

I would split them up now. Replant where the ground will not dry out during the summer months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin