Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LBixler
    • By LBixler 5th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LBixler
    Charged Late Fee on Credit Card For EARLY PAYMENT
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    Charged Late Fee on Credit Card For EARLY PAYMENT 5th Mar 18 at 3:30 PM
    I paid my Virgin Credit Card February payment a day earlier than my statement and they posted it on the previous month's balance. They now have charged me a late fee, affected my credit score and revoked my 0% interest. WHAT CAN I DO????
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 7,677 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    ask them nicely if they will make an goodwill gesture, and next time stick to the T&Cs
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 5th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    If you paid a day early before the statement was generated, then it won't apply to the new statement, as well, it's not been generated yet.

Therefore you still need to make a payment against the new statement.

I hope you've at least paid the amount overdue now?

Give them a call, explain the situation, and ask nicely if they can remove the late fee and re-instate the 0% interest. They might do it if this is the first time and as long as you've paid your arrears.

If they say no, nothing you can do other than shift the debt elsewhere or pay it off.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,811 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    Set up a DD if you find it difficult to manage the payments manually.
    • ic
    • By ic 5th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    ic
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    As above, call and beg forgiveness for not understanding how it works. If its a first "offence" they'll probably let you off and back out the charges and reinstate the offer - especially if they can see you actually made the payment.

With these offers its always best to have a DD set up to pay the minimum. Virgin will allow you to set a DD for the min, the full balance or an amount you choose in between - it really is the best option to avoid any future !!!!-ups!
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 6th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    I paid my Virgin Credit Card February payment a day earlier than my statement and they posted it on the previous month's balance. They now have charged me a late fee, affected my credit score and revoked my 0% interest. WHAT CAN I DO????
    Originally posted by LBixler
    There was no such thing as a "February payment". Your obligation is to pay at least the minimum due as shown on the statement by the due date. It follows payments made before a statement date are shown on that statement. A new balance is shown together with the amount you must pay.

So really you messed up by not sending the payment shown on the statement as being required and not checking your statement (in which case you would have spotted what had happened).

As suggested, you simply phone up and apologise. They may well cancel the charge and reinstate the offer. Don't moan (in block capitals or otherwise) that you got fees because you paid too early, even though that's the way it seems to you.

It's my view that the standard 12 fee is, in many cases, disproportionate and probably unenforceable. Also the habit of removing promo deals in a situation like this is unfair and again probably unenforceable - it's a gotcha type deal with a disguised form a penalty. But for the time being this is the industry practice (there are some exceptions) and to my knowledge no court/FOS has taken my view. So the best approach is to be warm and friendly!

On the issue of a late payment marker:
    1) A single late payment marker will have little impact after a month has passed and you're up-to-date. It will become irrelevant after 3 to 6 months.

2) You might not get one anyway. CCs don't directly report your being late. Usually they report the status of the account monthly - and it's only if you are behind on the reporting date that you will get a marker. If payment arrives just a few days late, you might get away with it. So pay the overdues as soon as possible.

3) Whilst they can refund charges and reinstate the offer, it is more difficult to get a late payment marker removed. The system relies on lenders reporting factual data and as a matter of fact, you were late. My experience is that even if staff tell you they will remove a marker, this often doesn't happen. Given it's not important anyway, I wouldn't make an issue of it.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 06-03-2018 at 8:48 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin