Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • srg0916
    • By srg0916 5th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    srg0916
    overtime with br
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    overtime with br 5th Mar 18 at 3:00 PM
    Hi,

I am able to do a little bit of overtime at work, as I'm in the process of filing for BR, I am wondering what will the OR say about doing overtime? Will they allow me go work it to get a little bit extra cash to use for things like unexpected car bills, holidays etc or will they take any money I make due to overtime?
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    Hi srg0916

Once you have been made bankrupt you will need to declare any change in circumstances to the Official Receiver (OR). That includes overtime and it will be down to the OR to decide how this will be dealt. The OR will make an income payment agreement (IPA) if you have more than 20 per month surplus income after paying your normal outgoings.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    Last edited by National Debtline; 05-03-2018 at 3:47 PM. Reason: Updated info
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • LincsPaul
    • By LincsPaul 5th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    LincsPaul
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    Right now you aren't bankrupt, so you can earn as much money as you like (obviously not millions because they won't accept your application!).

On your forms you have to enter your earnings - if variable, your average earnings. In terms of expenditure, again you need to average these. You may get away with 10 a month holiday fund. Car bills you need to estimate maintenance costs over the year and average these out (assuming you're allowed to keep and run your car).

What you can't do is work extra and build up a surplus in your account 'for emergencies'. That's liable to be taken (not that the OR seems to have the manpower to actually do this, from my experience). If you have a set income and expenditure and happen to spend less and build up a little surplus, perhaps. But not work loads extra and keep it. It doesn't work like that. You'd need to inform the OR of additional income and, if it goes over your expenditure, it will go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,399Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin