Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4,563Posts
    • 5,872Thanks
    jack_pott
    Hotmail being perverse
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    Hotmail being perverse 5th Mar 18 at 1:45 PM
    Twice now I have sent an email to:

recipient@company.co.uk

and twice it has been bounced back as undeliverable, with the address changed to:

recipient@company.cu.uk

I have checked very carefully, and it is not my typo. On the second attempt, I cut & pasted the address from the company's website, and the error kept being reinserted each time it was pasted. I then typed the address manually, only for it to be altered again by the time it had been bounced back.

The notification email doesn't accept replies, any suggestions?

Thanks.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 5th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    Is it auto-complete? if you start to type the address does the full 'incorrect' address appear below the 'to' box? If so, is there an x you can hit to delete it, or cursor down to highlight and hit backspace?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    No, it's not auto-complete.

If I type the address manually it goes in correctly, but then shows incorrectly on the email that Hotmail bounces back to report the "error".
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    Automatic fake reply becasue they don't want to talk to you?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    The rejection is coming from postmaster@outlook.com, not the addressee. I've just tried Ymail, we'll see what happens with that.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,338 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    Twice now I have sent an email to:

recipient@company.co.uk

and twice it has been bounced back as undeliverable, with the address changed to:

recipient@company.cu.uk

I have checked very carefully, and it is not my typo. On the second attempt, I cut & pasted the address from the company's website, and the error kept being reinserted each time it was pasted. I then typed the address manually, only for it to be altered again by the time it had been bounced back.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    You might get this happening if you had a contact set up as:

Name : recipient@company.co.uk
    email address: recipient@company.cu.uk

i.e. Hotmail is assuming that you are typing in a contact name, and it is using the email address it has for that contact name.

To check this, after you have typed the email address in the 'To:' field, right-click on it and click 'view'. See if it shows the email as '.cu.' .
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 5th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    You might get this happening if you had a contact set up as:

Name : recipient@company.co.uk
    email address: recipient@company.cu.uk

i.e. Hotmail is assuming that you are typing in a contact name, and it is using the email address it has for that contact name.

To check this, after you have typed the email address in the 'To:' field, right-click on it and click 'view'. See if it shows the email as '.cu.' .
    Originally posted by eddddy
    When I start typing the address, there are two addresses pop up on the auto complete panel, one correct, one incorrect. If I ignore both, and type the whole address manually, then when I click view as you describe I get the correct details just as typed.

I sent it via Ymail earlier, and that wasn't bounced.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin