Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DanSpooner
    • By DanSpooner 5th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DanSpooner
    Employer asking me to work Weekend + Mon-Fri
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    Employer asking me to work Weekend + Mon-Fri 5th Mar 18 at 1:11 PM
    Hi there,

I currently work in a Monday-Friday (9am-5.30pm) job and I've been asked to work at an event one weekend this month in addition to my normal working hours. This means that I'll be working from Monday 12th March with no days off until Friday 23rd March (12 days straight) and I've been offered no days off to counter the fact that I'm working that weekend.

I'm on a salary where I am (as an employee, not self employed) and I won't be getting any extra money for working then. My contract does say the following:

"In addition to these hours, you will be expected to work such additional hours as the company sees fit to enable you to carry out your duties effectively. For example, this may involve working the occasional weekend or weekdays at trade shows or staying overnight if visiting customers a significant distance away."

The work on that weekend will be for a trade show which is 150 miles away so I'll be staying there from Friday (16th) night until Tuesday (20th). So I'll have a significant amount of time away from home during that period.

Do I have any rights to ask for 2 days off to give me a break? I do understand that my contract says I'm expected to work at these events but I feel that I would need at least some time off to refresh (Plus I'll need time to do things such as wash work clothes as I only have a certain amount etc.).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Page 4
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Let us hope that one whose communication is, to put it politely, somewhat lacking is not in a position where he can do any harm on whichever oil installation he is presumably employed.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Guys, seriously, I think there are way too many assumptions being made and, without more input from the OP, further discussion seems a little pointless. All points made have their merits but, taken out of context, probably fail to assist the OP towards a resolution of any kind.

Everyone's situation is different and it seems it is far too often nigh impossible for those in a certain income bracket to have any insight into what life is like for people in very different circumstances. I have been guilty of this myself and no doubt will be again but I value the opportunity to learn from those whose experiences differ from my own.

"Everybody be cool, it's just a normal day."
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    This is exactly what I have been saying. Unfortunately someone who I shall not name finds it impossible to understand that I am not claiming anything to be the case, just pointing out that he is making assumptions.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 6th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Let us hope that one whose communication is, to put it politely, somewhat lacking is not in a position where he can do any harm on whichever oil installation he is presumably employed.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

Its a chemical plant on an oil refining amount other plants, probably as volatile as petrol.............. thanks for the concern. ;-]

But like I said.................I am happy with my performance. lol

Now how about we wait for the OP to comment further and not the experts! ;-]
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 06-03-2018 at 9:13 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I sincerely hope it is a very long way from anything resembling civilisation but I think you said it is in the US so that would appear to be covered.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    getmore4less
    You really have no idea he'd have to do any of those things. He might be doing meet and greet and nothing else.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    That's my point...

A couple of extra days meet and greet is trivial does not need time off because you won't even get tired never mind burnt out.

A shed load of work around a trade fair will get you tired and may need a bit of give but still won't burn you out.
    • CC-Warrior
    • By CC-Warrior 6th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    CC-Warrior
    Have you accepted a job which requires very occasional weekend work and a commensurate salary?

Should people not have the right to be well paid for having a weekend away from home every few months?
    read my comment again as that's not what I said.
    • CC-Warrior
    • By CC-Warrior 6th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    CC-Warrior
    Ah the 1970s is alive & well
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    WTF has the 1970's got to do with aiming to achieve a healthy work- life balance. You know there is evidence to suggest that we are happier and more productive when we are not doing so many hours, exactly what is your point?
    • CC-Warrior
    • By CC-Warrior 6th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    CC-Warrior
    And when you get sacked how will you work to live?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I'd get another f-ing job. With a better employer? Were you expecting a different answer? You want to be held to ransom by employers that see you as their personal property?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 6th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I'd get another f-ing job. With a better employer? Were you expecting a different answer? You want to be held to ransom by employers that see you as their personal property?
    Originally posted by CC-Warrior
    Employing someone on a contract that asks them to work occasional weekends, at a salary they accept as fair for working occasional weekends, is hardly holding people to ransom or seeing them as their personal property.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The 70's was when nearly everyone had a good work life balance

it was 3 on and 4 off
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 6th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Employing someone on a contract that asks them to work occasional weekends, at a salary they accept as fair for working occasional weekends, is hardly holding people to ransom or seeing them as their personal property.
    Never mind Dan, if your boss decides its ok to now do a weekend every other month or every month. There are some great communicators on here that will think you are still being well compensated. Lord help them from themselves!
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 06-03-2018 at 9:35 PM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Never mind Dan, if your boss decides its ok to now do a weekend every other month or every month. There are some great communicators on here that will think you are still being well compensated. Lord help them from themselves!
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    I don't know if he is being well compensated. Neither do you. You are the one assuming he isn't. I am not assuming he is.

How many times do I have to say the same thing to you?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I don't know if he is being well compensated. Neither do you. You are the one assuming he isn't. I am not assuming he is.

How many times do I have to say the same thing to you?

I know he does not think he is, and after reading what he posted as per hes contract, I agree.

That is enough for me......what you think is irrelevant to me.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 07-03-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I know he does not think he is, that is enough for me......
    And that is your problem.

Complaining to your employer about unreasonable treatment when you are not being treated unreasonably, but only think you are, is very counterproductive. He needs to establish if he is, in fact, being treated unreasonably. That's why your advice is poor. I know you can't understand that.

Wait..you edited... you think having a contract that says you are expected to work some weekends is in itself unreasonable? You don't understand the professional world, at all. You've never worked in it, clearly. It's standard. Complaining about it would make him look a fool IF he has such a job.

Now we don't know what job he does, or how much he gets paid, so we don't know if it's standard for him.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 07-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Perhaps this will help you.

In most professional jobs you don't get paid for overtime.

Instead of waiting to see if there is any "overtime" and paying you afterwards, they assume there will be "overtime", if appropriate, and factor this into your annual salary.

If the salary is not enough for you to do the job including "overtime" then you refuse the job or ask for more.

If you accept the job and then refuse to do any "overtime" then you can say goodbye to future pay rises or promotions, at the least.

Is that clearer?

And once again, to help you understand, I am not saying he has this type of job. We don't know. But you can't assume he doesn't and his contract suggests that he does.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 07-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    And that is your problem.

Complaining to your employer about unreasonable treatment when you are not being treated unreasonably, but only think you are, is very counterproductive. He needs to establish if he is, in fact, being treated unreasonably. That's why your advice is poor. I know you can't understand that.

Wait..you edited... you think having a contract that says you are expected to work some weekends is in itself unreasonable? You don't understand the professional world, at all. You've never worked in it, clearly. It's standard. Complaining about it would make you look a fool.

Now we don't know what job he does, or how much he gets paid, so we don't know if it's standard for him.
    You are trying a strawman arguments and failing.

I never said the contract does not say he has to work. I argued it does not say he cannot be compensated or at least get the time in lieu. You wrongly argument salaried staff don't.

I recommended both sucking up the odd weekend and speaking to hes manager about the above. You missed all that. I also asked what was explained at hes interview. Not sure what's poor in that advise.

Professional world??....no I dont sell stuff. I work in an industry of engineers, chemists, tradesmen amount others.

Ohh and give the insults a rest, its childish and just makes you sound like an impetuous child who can not get their own way.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 07-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    You are trying a strawman arguments and failing.

I never said the contract does not say he has to work. I argued it does not say he cannot be compensated or at least get the time in lieu. You wrongly argument salaried staff don't.

I recommended both sucking up the odd weekend and speaking to hes manager about the above. You missed all that. Not sure what's poor in that advise.

Professional world??....no I dont sell stuff. I work in an industry of engineers, chemists, tradesmen amount others.

Ohh and give the insults a rest, its childish and just makes you sound like an impetuous child who can not get their own way.
    What insults do you see there? Because there aren't any. If you mean "make you look a fool" it ought to have been obvious to anyone that that is a generic "you" meaning "the person complaining"...you are not going to be complaining, he is. I had edited it however, to make it perfectly clear, as I did worry you might misread it, given previous experience.

Incidentally "professional" doesn't mean "sell stuff". Engineers are professional. Chemists are professional. Look the word up.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 07-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Oh, and quote the point at which I did that. Not where I said salaried staff "might" not, where I said they don't.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    What insults do you see there? Because there aren't any. If you mean "make you look a fool" it ought to have been obvious to anyone that that is a generic "you" meaning "the person complaining"...you are not going to be complaining, he is. I had edited it however, to make it perfectly clear, as I did worry you might misread it, given previous experience.

Incidentally "professional" doesn't mean "sell stuff". Engineers are professional. Chemists are professional. Look the word up.
    You don't understand the professional world, at all. You've never worked in it, clearly. It's standard. Complaining about it would make him look a fool IF he has such a job.

lol

I knew what the world meant, you were confused. In implying there were none in the oil industry. Ohhh and many are salaried but still get paid overtime!!
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 07-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    lol

I knew what the world meant, you were confused. In implying there were none in the oil industry. Ohhh and many are salaried but still get paid overtime!!

I know you are desperate to be right.............but its not supported by the facts.
    How did I imply there were none in the oil industry? I said you don't work in the professional world. You may work in the same industry as professionals, it would be be almost impossible not to, especially in a multi billion dollar industry. There are accountants in oil as well I am sure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin