Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsAverageMan
    • By MrsAverageMan 5th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MrsAverageMan
    Unusually Low Car Insurance Quotes
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    Unusually Low Car Insurance Quotes 5th Mar 18 at 12:40 PM
    Hi all,
    Car insurance is due in the next few months. Got a quote with Hastings for around 800 for my Suzuki Swift. I consider this reasonable considering this is only my first year (going into my second).

Gone through CompareTheMarket to edit my quote details, and thought it was unusually cheap compared to other insurance companies. This is where I tried with different cars that would usually be out of my range insurance-wise. For example, I've managed to get a quote through Hastings for 1200 on a BMW M6 V10 with all the other details the same as with my Swift.

Now, this does not seem right at all. If anyone can explain why this happens, I would be very thankful, as I'm not 100% sure that these quotes are fully accurate (in fact I very much doubt it). If I was to get a quote directly through Hastings, I would be denied easily, just by the model of car.

Thanks to all who can provide me any information about this.
    Cheers,
    Lewis M.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 4,427 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    terms and conditions, excess, what is covered e.t.c there's usually a catch
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • MrsAverageMan
    • By MrsAverageMan 5th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MrsAverageMan
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    terms and conditions, excess, what is covered e.t.c there's usually a catch
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    The only difference that I can see is where the quote is from. One being through a comparison site, the other straight through the insurer/broker.

Excess is the same, even the compulsory and I've found no differences between the policies in any way. Honestly cannot say what is giving the differences, even with the higher performance cars...
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 5th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Weighty1
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    Probably just their assessment of "risk". They may well just have stats that show even a new driver driving a high performance, 50k car is less likely to crash than a new driver driving a 5k corsa.
    • stator
    • By stator 5th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 6,224 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    stator
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    The main cost of insurance is the damage you might do to other people's cars and inanimate objects.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • MrsAverageMan
    • By MrsAverageMan 5th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MrsAverageMan
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    Probably just their assessment of "risk". They may well just have stats that show even a new driver driving a high performance, 50k car is less likely to crash than a new driver driving a 5k corsa.
    Originally posted by Weighty1
    Still can't understand why I can get cheaper quotes when I go through a referral link on price comparison sites then edit my details accordingly instead of going direct through the insurer and getting a quote directly (if getting one at all).
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 16,373 Posts
    • 41,380 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    Quote through high street broker 700, same cover with same underwriter for same car through telephone broker 550.
    I can only assume they'd got some sort of deal going.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • singhini
    • By singhini 5th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    singhini
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    Ive sometimes experienced the "headline" price is different from the actually price payable i.e. one of my policies once said 629 for annual cover but when i clicked the link to take this policy I was then asked a load more questions and surprise surprise the final price payable was 800
    • MrsAverageMan
    • By MrsAverageMan 5th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MrsAverageMan
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    Ive sometimes experienced the "headline" price is different from the actually price payable i.e. one of my policies once said 629 for annual cover but when i clicked the link to take this policy I was then asked a load more questions and surprise surprise the final price payable was 800
    Originally posted by singhini
    Yeah I can understand that and is one of the first things that I checked. The prices seem to be stable throughout from editing details to choosing a payment method.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin