Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loopy73
    • By Loopy73 5th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Loopy73
    SSP and Bank Holidays
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    SSP and Bank Holidays 5th Mar 18 at 12:35 PM
    Hello,

Please can someone help.

I work for a very small company and they're terrible for not doing things correctly so before I ask them I wanted to also ask on here.

I was receiving SSP from August until the middle of January. In this period there was four bank holidays. As bank holidays form part of my holiday entitlement what then happens with these days?

Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    Bank holidays do not form part of your statutory entitlement.

Your statutory entitlement is 5.6 weeks.

Those days should be carried over to use at another time.

In effect bank holidays are days your company is telling you to take holiday and they have no special meaning.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 5th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    Hello,

Please can someone help.

I work for a very small company and they're terrible for not doing things correctly so before I ask them I wanted to also ask on here.

I was receiving SSP from August until the middle of January. In this period there was four bank holidays. As bank holidays form part of my holiday entitlement what then happens with these days?

Any help appreciated.
    Originally posted by Loopy73
    As you were sick at the time, those holidays get written back to your entitlement for the year. If your holiday years are calendar years (rather than ending, say, on 31 March) then the August and Christmas days (and any other days accrued but not taken in the year) are carried forward to be added to this year's entitlement.

Presumably you were not actually paid your regular salary for those four bank holidays.
    • dotchas
    • By dotchas 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    dotchas
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    Comms69 is correct you do not accrue Public Holidays while off sick
    I love bargains
    I love MSE
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 6th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    Comms69 is correct you do not accrue Public Holidays while off sick
    Originally posted by dotchas
    But you don't lose the equivalent time if they are contractually due to you but you are unable to take them because you are ill.

You do accrue statutory paid leave when you are off work because of sickness.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter