Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,843Posts
    • 2,013Thanks
    brewerdave
    Claimng deferred state pension online
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    Claimng deferred state pension online 5th Mar 18 at 12:10 PM
    Tried to log in to my Govt. Gateway account this morning,to start the process of claiming my deferred state pension. Unless I'm doing something wrong ,they appear to have removed the option of applying for a code to start the process,offering only the phoneline or post. Seems a backward step to me if I'm right??
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    You can't apply for a code. You need the code which was on the letter you (should have) received from the DWP: https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/how-to-claim-a-deferred-state-pension
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 25,371 Posts
    • 14,967 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

If you haven't got your letter and invite code, you can't claim online. You can claim by phone or by post instead.
    Last edited by xylophone; 05-03-2018 at 9:55 PM. Reason: correcting meaningless string of numbers
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

If you haven't got your letter and invite code, you can't claim online. You can claim by phone or by post instead.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    The original invitation letter from nearly 4 years ago, didn't have a code on -HOWEVER, I'm sure that when I've looked online previously, there was an option to apply for a code via the Gateway - THAT is the option which I think, has gone. The page you quote is the one which I was looking at. Apparently the State pension claim part of the website was updated at the end of Feb.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    The original invitation letter from nearly 4 years ago, didn't have a code on -HOWEVER, I'm sure that when I've looked online previously, there was an option to apply for a code via the Gateway - THAT is the option which I think, has gone. The page you quote is the one which I was looking at. Apparently the State pension claim part of the website was updated at the end of Feb.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    You can still claim by post or phone. Not sure why it's such a big deal.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    You can still claim by post or phone. Not sure why it's such a big deal.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Not a big deal in itself -just that if I'm right it seems that DWP have taken a backward step at a time when we are being actively encouraged to use the web as much as possible
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    When you apply by phone you can choose how you want to be paid, weekly....2 weekly or 4 weekly.
    You do need to ask as they will 4 weekly by default.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 6th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    uk1
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    Tried to log in to my Govt. Gateway account this morning,to start the process of claiming my deferred state pension. Unless I'm doing something wrong ,they appear to have removed the option of applying for a code to start the process,offering only the phoneline or post. Seems a backward step to me if I'm right??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    FWIW I claimed online for my wife and I in January via Government Gateway for our deferred Pension. The process was that the Pensions Service was in January accessed via Gateway without the need for any number in any letter, and when you went into pensions it sent you an activation code via your registered telephone number for each access. Today access to the Pensions Service is no longer there.

I called the Helpline and was told that our online application is in process and that we should hear from them in two weeks which will two weeks out from our pension start date at 6th April.

It does seem a shame that the service via Gateway has gone and that you cannot see the current status online as that would reassure and stop a lot of telephone traffic.

I know this doesn't help you .....
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    ....and what makes it worse uk1 ,is that the phone line is so busy that you aren't even placed in a queue -they advise you to use the website
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 6th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I started phoning at 8.00 am this morning to claim my deferred state pension and had to give up. According to the phone line, there is only a limited service today. Iíll try again another day but itís very frustrating.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 6th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    uk1
    I got the message yesterday and gave up but wanted to try again today. I love Vivaldi but no great fan of The Four Seasons and only hearing the first 22 seconds of Spring repeated continually for half an hour was grim. It is weird that even after being reassured that everything is under control you still feel doubtful.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    ....and still the phone queues are impossibly long. Tried EVERY day this week so far.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 9th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    uk1
    You need to pick a day, make a flask of tea and some sandwiches and hang on in there.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 10th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I gave up on the phone in the end, printed off the forms, and have sent it off by post to the local office. I figured that it just might be the quickest way, especially as I had to send my marriage certificate anyway.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I gave up on the phone in the end, printed off the forms, and have sent it off by post to the local office. I figured that it just might be the quickest way, especially as I had to send my marriage certificate anyway.
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    ...Didn't really want to entrust the paperwork to the postal system -but if I can't get thru on the phone next week ,may have to do the same.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 10th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I paid to send it by tracked delivery. I hate sending original certificates but had no option in this case.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    uk1
    When I completed the on-line forms it didn't require marriage certificates. Perhaps it picks up info from the tax databse where I have a part of her allowance?

I wonder when they ask for them and when they don't need them.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 10th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    Alter ego
    When you apply by phone you can choose how you want to be paid, weekly....2 weekly or 4 weekly.
    You do need to ask as they will 4 weekly by default.
    Originally posted by luvchocolate
    Used to be weekly or 4 weekly, has it changed?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 10th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    greenglide
    I wonder when they ask for them and when they don't need them
    This is where an on-line or a telephone application scores. If DWP (or HMRC) "knows" that they have seen proof of your date of birth or marital status (the status is confirmed) then they do not generally ask to see it again.

Obviously a paper application can't take this into account so I assume they always ask to see them "just in case".
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 15th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Received my marriage certificate back yesterday and the letter promises to get it all sorted within ten days. Anyone else had any luck phoning?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,029Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin