Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tibbycat13
    • By Tibbycat13 5th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tibbycat13
    Advice on where I stand after failed appeal
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    Advice on where I stand after failed appeal 5th Mar 18 at 11:48 AM
    Hello,

I received a parking ticket in December'17 for not paying for my parking. I was in the car park for 5 hours, tried paying but the machine was out of order. There were a number of cars also with no tickets displayed. I appealed the charge with SMART Parking and told them why I had not paid for a ticket and offered to pay for the duration of my stay in the car park. They rejected my appeal so I then appealed to POPLA who have also rejected my appeal as they have decided that if I was unable to pay for a ticket then I should have left the site.

Smart parking have argued saying that there were 2 other parking machines working that night, although I have since argued this fact as they are indeed in different separate car park. Not sure how I would have known this on the night as it is not signposted anywhere.

All along I have said I am happy to pay for the duration of my stay but they now want me to pay 100.

I am wondering where I stand on this, I don't want to pay the ticket as I think it is unfair, but I don't know if it something I can now ignore as I admitted to parking the car.

Please advise on whether I should just pay the fine and move on...

Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 5th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 36,622 Posts
    • 82,943 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    You are now in ignore mode unless Not so Smart try the small claims court. It's unlikely but they have six years to try.

If you get debt collector letters, you can ignore them. The NEWBIES sticky thread tells you why it is safe to do so.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,796 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    You can stand wherever and however you want, just please read the Newbies Sticky whilst you are doing so.
    • Tibbycat13
    • By Tibbycat13 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tibbycat13
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    Thanks, read the newbie post before posting, but couldn't see any advice relating to what I have done as I have admitted to driving the car. I just wish I had come here before appealing the fine as maybe things could have gone differently.

Annoying that the fine was for parking in a car park (without a working machine) and the night wasn't even worth it! Typical.

The only thing that worries me is the impact it may have on my credit score as we are currently looking to buy a house.

Bloody horrible companies!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 17,575 Posts
    • 27,786 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    The only thing that worries me is the impact it may have on my credit score as we are currently looking to buy a house.
    You mean after going to court, you losing, the Judge making a cost order against you, to be paid within a month, and you refusing to make the payment.

Are you sure your credit score is under threat?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 57,430 Posts
    • 71,027 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    Originally posted by Tibbycat13
    It's SMART Parking, who sue no-one in England.

And as Umkomaas says, you don't just ''get a CCJ'' you know! You will not get a CCJ from this.

Appeal it to POPLA properly, using a long template POPLA appeal, like everyone else does. Smart normally throw in the towel and it's as easy as taking candy from a baby!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,796 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    Thanks, read the newbie post before posting, but couldn't see any advice relating to what I have done as I have admitted to driving the car.
    Originally posted by Tibbycat13
    Post one covers that completely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin