Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 5th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4,525Posts
    • 79,151Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World Support Thr
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    Slimming in to Spring - Slimming World Support Thr 5th Mar 18 at 11:12 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Last edited by Chrisv; 05-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 58
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Apr 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 37,076 Thanks
    curl girl
    Morning everyone.

Good luck to frogga on your op.
    Or hop......
    Can someone advice where I can find the chart please?
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 42,301 Thanks
    joedenise
    Didn't go to WI this morning - had told consultant I was going to be on holiday so didn't need to let her know again! Get a bit fed up being one of the few who does food for tasters, most people don't bother, seems it's always the same few every time.

Jumped on my scales this morning and looks like I've lost 0.5lb this week so OK with that. As most will know I don't usually lose more than that most of the time.

Today's plan:

B - Almond flavoured baked oats; 5g almonds sprinkled on top; frozen berries & pomegranate seeds; quark
    L - bacon & mushroom omelette; lettuce, tomato, cucumber
    D - spag bol - mince, onions, garlic,peppers, mushrooms, soy protein (both to stretch it and to try and cut down on meat a bit!)

HEA - milk
    HEB - porridge oats
    Syns - 5g almonds 1.5 syns; not sure what else

Denise
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6,545 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Morning everyone.

Good luck to frogga on your op.
    Or hop......
    Can someone advice where I can find the chart please?
    Originally posted by curl girl
    Page 52 - #1038

While I'm posting...

Plan for today.
    B: Melon & mixed summer berries
    L: ham, crunchy salad, red pepper, HEXA cheese, HEXB wholemeal bread
    D: prawn stir fry with noodles

Snacks: easy peelers, pear
    Syns: 3 for half stir fry sauce
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 12th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 18,609 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    Good to see you lush. So pleased you had a good weekend with your friend.

When I first read you planned to stop going to group I thought it would be a mistake to stop having that hour or so to yourself. But if you go out for a walk (who knows the sun might shine in the next few months) or go to the gym then that's a good substitute. You know the plan well enough to go it alone and you know we're here to support you.

well done on your 2.5lbs. You know it works when you're in the right mindset.
    Originally posted by maman

thank you maman, and denise I will catch up on everyone else soon!

yes plan is to stop going to group but continue with 1hr gym on a Monday when little one is in preschool - I think I will extend this to 1hr gym and a swim when she goes fulltime in September - and then on a Tuesday do a dvd at home in poor weather or take little one out for a post tea walk round the estate and a play on the little park near the house. I've stuck with choir on a Thursday which is *my* time out too - that's almost 2hrs out of the house and then OH will be starting to go back to the gym so I'll have time when he's out (hopefully) to do something and I've been taking little one swimming on a Saturday (I don't swim but I'm moving and not eating ) to try and build her confidence back up.

food wise; I know my good and bad choices and my trigger foods I just need to listen to myself more and trust myself! I'm on a bit of a mission to improve the quality of what we eat again as I've let it slide. so traybakes for OH and little one (that she can help make) not shop bought biscuits etc. and working on a fresh variety of meals and sides to keep food fresh and interesting - hardest part is getting out of the once a month 'big shop' mentality! I really struggle to not shop like I'm feeding an army for a year rather than the 3 of us for a week/fortnight!
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 10,877 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Frogga - Hope today goes well & your recovery is quick.

Joedenise - I hate tester sessions & will be missing mine as well

LLE - do you have a recipe for the traybake? I could always resist biscuits so long as the packet wasn't open but the moment they're open........

I'm going out with Mum tonight, going to the theatre and a meal beforehand - the only saving grace will be that I won't have a starter and doubt very much I'll have a dessert .

We're going away in the caravan tomorrow for the weekend which is usually a signal to over indulge but I am determined to that shiny next week so measuring jugs will be coming with me lol|!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 42,301 Thanks
    joedenise
    GTS - I do quite a few tray bakes. Basically it's just a tray of veg roasted in the onion with some sort of protein, eg chicken breast/thighs (I think thighs are better as they don't try out like breasts can do sometimes); salmon. You can use any veg you like.

Have a look at the BBC food website and search for traybakes there is quite a few on there or just try googling traybakes. I also use some ideas from the Slimming Eats website (which is a British woman living in Canada doing SW).

Enjoy your weekend away in the caravan - I'm usually good foodwise when away in the motorhome - it's the alcohol where the over-indulgence happens and then it's damage limitation for the rest of the week, LOL! We're' away again this weekend. Need to go to Canterbury again to collect something we ordered last weekend so rather than just going for the day in the car we're going in the Motorhome and making a weekend of it. Will be going tomorrow afternoon after DH has been for a COPD check at the doctors at lunchtime.

LLS - your plans sound good. Perhaps you could start posting your plans again to help you stay on track, particularly with not going to group. Also have a look to see what others are doing, might give you some ideas or inspiration.

Denise
    • taskey
    • By taskey 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    taskey
    little wave from a new starter.

hopefully get a few ideas from you all

Tracy
    SPC 2019 #40 - £2 savers club 2018 #11 - £0.50p savers club 2018 #4

PAD TO CHIP AWAY AT
    CC1 £184.53-CC2 £3018.51 (0%)-Next £160-Argos £241 (bnpl)
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 12th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Havent weighed in yet this week,but wanted to share my good news with you

Well,I had my blood test results,and the diabetic nurse was pleased,impressed,and pretty stunned actually.Boy,am I relieved and can hardly believe it
    blood pressure target 140/80 - achieved 128/69
    cholesterol target 5 - achieved 3.3
    BMI was 40,now 31.6 (aiming for 25 eventually)

weight loss 3st 13 lbs
    triglycerides,LDLetc -all fine, normal.
    And the all important HbA1c,to see how much sugar in my blood? Last year I was at 49 now I am at 37,well down into the healthy range.

Not all unalloyed joy though,apparently I have an underactive thyroid.which probably explains the spate of ill health with infections etc lately. And perhaps why though doing everything the same as always I am not losing any weight .Hypothyroidism apparently is a hindrance to weight loss,since the thyroid gland has a major function in regulating metabolism. Underactive thyroid causes a slowing down of metabolism
    I have to go back in 3 months and be tested for thyroid antibodies,then I would probably be on medication for life. Nothing I can do in the matter of food etc. My own immune system is as ever attacking my body,has been most of my life,right from the rheumatic fever when I was 17,which caused my crippling arthritis
    Ah well,what's one more tablet a day among the many!
    Tried to get to SW this morning,but the major road to town is being dug up,buses are going the long way round,with shuttle buses for local areas. Waited for 20 minutes,got the shuttle cutting it fine for class,but then was shocked when the bus went off in a different direction,and I ended up a 10 minute walk from SW too late to go to class. I'll try again tomorrow.Doubt I'll lose,I have yet another infection,lots of oedema,am on antibiotics.Weight's gone up 3 lbs in a couple of days,despite being a good girl foodwise,and trying to get out walking when weather permits.Not sure if it will subside in time for weigh-in. Fingers crossed.
    Anyway,I am delighted with my results. Shows what you can do restricting bad carbs!
    SPC 2019 # 012 - £2 Savers 2018 #19 £218 House & Home Fund 2019 - £20 (+ c/f from 2018= £531) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 13/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific £3.45 /
    total savings 2018:£1992card xmas savings 2018:£145

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 42,301 Thanks
    joedenise
    Welcome taskey to the thread. Any questions just ask. There's usually someone around who will be able to answer.

A great NSV dustydigger. Don't worry too much about the under active thyroid. I have the same problem and once medication was sorted out I managed to get to target. Just keep following the plan and it will eventually come off.

Denise
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 12th Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 27,789 Thanks
    Nicki
    Well done dustydigger. You've done amazingly well and in the process managed to bring some nasty health risk factors right down. I bet that makes it all feel worthwhile!
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 18,879 Posts
    • 112,673 Thanks
    maman
    Great news dusty. Delighted for you!

I know denise shops monthly lush but weekly suits me best. Whichever way you choose, it's the planning that's absolutely essential. It's not just good for SW but really mse. I've found it helps to save time too. It's well worth the 10 minutes or so I spend doing my meal plan and shopping list as it saves thinking what to have the rest of the week and I can whizz around the shops in no time just picking up what I need. I always start in true mse fashion by looking at what I've got to use up in the fridge, what's in the freezer and storecupboards and start from there.

I met a couple of friends this morning. I had a coffee, they had coffee and toasties! Then one of them moaned that all the jeans she tried on didn't fit. I felt smug.

I finished last week just 2.5 syns over. New week starting on 105.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk
    L: JP with cottage cheese, spring onions, pickled cabbage
    D: Burger, SW chips, fried onions, mushrooms, asparagus, peas.
    Syns: none
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 12th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I would like to start doing SW but have no idea where to begin. Do you all attend actual meetings or just do it on your own using the tips and recipes from here?

Any tips, pointers to posts on how to start, what the abbreviations mean etc, would be very welcome. I have just ordered the SW magazine to be delivered with my shopping tomorrow so hopefully, that will help too.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 42,301 Thanks
    joedenise
    Maman - I don't shop monthly I meal plan monthly! But over half the meals during the month will by "ready meals" from the freezer. I just buy the fresh stuff weekly. Although when it comes to meat I quite often buy a load in one go at the butchers. This week he had a lean deal for £20 and there's enough meat there for probably a couple of dozen meals, if not a bit more. I got him to change the mince for low fat sausages & burgers as his mince tends to be more like 10% than 5% fat so I stick to buying that at one of the supermarkets.

My new week starts today as well, so 105 from today until Wednesday. Only 1.5 syns used so far today but there is still several hours to go before bedtime, LOL!

Well done on just having a coffee. It can be quite difficult not to eat when others do, can't it?

Denise
    Last edited by joedenise; 12-04-2018 at 5:44 PM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 42,301 Thanks
    joedenise
    I would like to start doing SW but have no idea where to begin. Do you all attend actual meetings or just do it on your own using the tips and recipes from here?

Any tips, pointers to posts on how to start, what the abbreviations mean etc, would be very welcome. I have just ordered the SW magazine to be delivered with my shopping tomorrow so hopefully, that will help too.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Welcome to the thread. The magazine will help you a bit as it will have a week's meal plan in it plus other recipes to try. Have to say I'm not particularly impressed with this month's magazine but that's probably because I've been doing SW for a long time and most of the recipes seem to be regurgitate versions of old recipes!

I would suggest you read the first few posts of this thread which explains the plan well and makes it easy to understand.

I still go to group as a target member but not everyone on the thread attends group so there's no need to if it's a problem to get to a group or you can't afford to go. If you can manage it you may find it worthwhile to go to one meeting just to get the books and the new member talk.

Denise
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 12th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 10,721 Posts
    • 20,344 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Evening all
    Been to Meadowhall with OH today. I went to get some summer trousers as its supposed to be really warm next week. Whereas previously I would have skulked round Yours and bought whatever I fitted into (whether I liked it or not) I was able to go into Primark and pick out whatever I actually liked! I bought four pairs of lightweight cotton trousers (2 printed, 2 plain) a cropped Bardot top, 2 plain cotton floaty t-shirts, a black gypsy style top and a lovely blue and white top which ties at the shoulders- I have a cropped cotton cardy to wear with that as I dont like my arms. It felt so good to literally just go in and pick a load of size 18s pretty much knowing they would fit. They all did- the tops are a little bit big but I would rather they were loose in warm weather. The trousers fit lovely! I also bought a top and some leggings from Superdry but the top unfortunately will have to go back. It does fit but just clings a bit too much for my liking which is a shame. The leggings are fine though and look great with one of the Primark t-shirts. Went to Nandos for lunch, was so tempted when I smelled the chips cooking but with 9 days until my awards night there is no room for any of that! OH had a starter plus creamy mash and slaw with his meal- and my favourite garlic sauce- but I was a good girl and had my SW friendly meal!
    Todays food:
    B: HEXB overnight oats, decaf coffee with HEXA
    L: Nandos plain chicken butterfly (3) corn on the cob, salad, water
    T: Oriental salmon, noodles, salad. Strawberries and Halo Top cookie dough (4.5)
    S: 3 Crackerbreads with Ham (3) Quavers (4.5)
    Syns: 15
    Hello, frogga. Nice to see you back!
    Welcome, taskey. Could not help noticing your location- I have a friend who lives there.
    Great news dusty- well done you!
    Waves to anyone else I have missed and love to you all as usual xx
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 12th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 8,209 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Is the butterfly chicken from Nandos 3 syns with skin?

The garlic sauce is either 0.5 or 1 syn per tablespoon Mrs Ryan, I keep a bottle in the fridge to liven up SW chips.

My interim weigh in showed an STS today *sobs*

Let's hope for a bit off before Monday!

B/D - Bacon, light and lean sausages (1 syn for 2), fry lighted eggs, roasted cherry tomatoes, mushrooms cooked in frylight then simmered in chicken stock and sw chips

T - Cottage pie (half hexa plus 1 syn) and green beans

An options before bed, with two alpen lights for hexb and the rest of my hexa on milk.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 53,688 Posts
    • 633,805 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Welcome to the newbies
    Those away/going out have a good time
    Dusty fantastic numbers mine is due
    - 2 lb for me this week
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 3 1/2 lb
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 12th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 27,789 Thanks
    Nicki
    My 7lb weekend gain hasn't stuck fortunately. I tend to weigh myself twice a week (on Thursdays and Mondays) and use my Monday weight for the weekly chart. Last Thursday I was 11 stone 2lb, on Monday I was 11 stone 9 and today I was 11 stone 4 (but yesterday was our wedding anniversary and I had a large meal last night). I'm hoping at least by next Thursday I'll be back to 11 stone 2 and can then start losing again.

I'd been feeling really good up to the weekend because I'd lost 2.5 stone and people were starting to notice and I was fitting back in all my old clothes and looking good. But we had a family reunion, and all the women my age were really petite (under 5'2 and probably about size 6/8). I'm 5'6" and a 10/12 now and I felt like a giant beside them all! I think I need to lose another stone which would put me in the middle of my ideal weight range and probably a small size 10. Hopefully I can get there in time for the summer.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 12th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10,721 Posts
    • 20,344 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Is the butterfly chicken from Nandos 3 syns with skin?

The garlic sauce is either 0.5 or 1 syn per tablespoon Mrs Ryan, I keep a bottle in the fridge to liven up SW chips.

My interim weigh in showed an STS today *sobs*

Let's hope for a bit off before Monday!

B/D - Bacon, light and lean sausages (1 syn for 2), fry lighted eggs, roasted cherry tomatoes, mushrooms cooked in frylight then simmered in chicken stock and sw chips

T - Cottage pie (half hexa plus 1 syn) and green beans

An options before bed, with two alpen lights for hexb and the rest of my hexa on milk.
    Originally posted by Top Girl
    It is 3 syns yes- I love the skin so Im happy to spend 3 syns on having it with skin I wasnt too bothered about the sauce as I usually only have it when I have chips
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and W101.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 6,545 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Welcome. As joedenise says, reading the first few posts of this thread is a good starting point. There are all sorts on this thread - some go to group, some don't, some have reached target and some haven't.

Personally I don't go to group, but I did get the starter pack which takes you through how the whole thing works. There are usually people selling them on e-bay, although they can be quite expensive (make sure you get the latest version of things). You may find it's just as cheap to go along to a group one time just to get the pack and see what the group's like, and then decide whether to keep going or try to do it yourself unofficially.

So far, with the help and support of the people on this thread, I've been ok going it alone (I've lost 3 1/2 stone in six months) but I know there are others who find they need the motivation of a face to face group - everyone's journey is different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,497Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter